Blog on OLD & RARE Korean movies

monkeygift

Sorry for the non-subtle publicity here but I just wanted to let you know about

my blog that I've been running for a little while now. I am mostly writing on Korean

movies that were lonnnnng forgotten and that only saw the light of day on VHS in those good old days of video stores!

So if you want to learn more about Korean films made BEFORE 1990 or simply if you are curious to see cool screenshots, posters or old original VHS covers of those Korean treasures, just drop by and have a look.

cheers!

http://www.unknownkino.blogspot.com/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer

Hi monkeygift, nothing wrong with being un-subtle when it's backed up by such a great blog, I just checked it out and it made for very interesting and entertaining reading.

Any chance of any of these movies being transferred onto DVD?

One Armed Boxer

Wow...if you're willing to sell copies once you are done re-mastering, please put me at the top of the list for a purchase! I am a long time fan of Korean cinema, but as you obviously know, genreally speaking the pre-'Shiri' period is pretty unknown about.

If you could make the VHS covers into DVD covers as well that would be the icing on the cake!

I often go looking for these types of movies myself. I live in Tokyo but frequently visit Seoul (I'll be there in November actually!) as I love the city, but my time is usually so tight I never have the opportunity to dig deep enough to unearth this kind of stuff, which I'm sure is there to be found!

Monkeygift, I am a huge fan of the old korean movie classics, unfortunately there is not much info on the internet about them. I really enjoy your blog, do you think by any chance you can blog about these two movies: A Time To Love, A Time To Part (Saranggal ttaewa he-eojil ttae) (1983) and Windmill Of My Mind (Naema-eum-ui pungcha)(1976)? I really enjoy your blog, thanks for sharing.

Hi Ching Li! thanks for visiting my blog, it's really appreciated.

I took note of those 2 films, I'll try to track them down and review them!

Best.

kungfusamurai

That's great to hear. There are a lot of films by Elton Chong, Dragon Lee, etc... that have been released in full screen by Saturn and various DVD companies in the US (fullscreen transfers), english dubbed, and in France a number of them have been put out as french dub and 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It would be great to see the original cuts, if they even exist!

KFS

Edit: Ooops, I should have looked at your blog first. I was mentioning kung fu flicks made in korea, but I see you're site is about non-kung fu/martial arts flicks.

Edit: Ooops, I should have looked at your blog first. I was mentioning kung fu flicks made in korea, but I see you're site is about non-kung fu/martial arts flicks.

I still have not many reviews in my blog but yeah, Kung Fu and other martial art movies are always welcome. If I find something rare + interesting I talk about it.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Nice one Monkeygift, fantastic site! Where do you find the films/ film shops? I found it tough in Seoul! Cheers!

BTW, you may already know, Kim Ki-ju was big in Korean and Hong Kong martial arts films and Jang Il-sik aka Bruce Cheung was very prominent in Korean martial arts films of the day.

Nice one Monkeygift, fantastic site! Where do you find the films/ film shops? I found it tough in Seoul! Cheers!

BTW, you may already know, Kim Ki-ju was big in Korean and Hong Kong martial arts films and Jang Il-sik aka Bruce Cheung was very prominent in Korean martial arts films of the day.

Thanks Chia Ling! Yeah about Kung fu and martial art stuff I have to admit I still have much to learn as it is not my forte right now but as I love cinema and it always been a part of my life, I always like to discover and learn about films. That said, I will definitly check out the names you mentioned.

About the movies I reviewed (prints), I did had a few of them since a long time and others I managed to grab the last copies from various websites or simply by trading with Korean collectors who happen to have some Korean films. I know that checking in video stores nowaday is kind of desapointing, they never have anything below 1998... and if they do, it's nothing really interesting or it's an american movie lol! So yes, the movie hunting in Korea is now very difficult and sometimes expensive.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
Thanks Chia Ling! Yeah about Kung fu and martial art stuff I have to admit I still have much to learn as it is not my forte right now but as I love cinema and it always been a part of my life, I always like to discover and learn about films. That said, I will definitly check out the names you mentioned.

About the movies I reviewed (prints), I did had a few of them since a long time and others I managed to grab the last copies from various websites or simply by trading with Korean collectors who happen to have some Korean films. I know that checking in video stores nowaday is kind of desapointing, they never have anything below 1998... and if they do, it's nothing really interesting or it's an american movie lol! So yes, the movie hunting in Korea is now very difficult and sometimes expensive.

Classic martial arts cinema (1972-85) is a niche interest but I think you may find there is a lot to be said about it! Koreans found exploitation cinema to be a good release from the reality of the time and action films were a very popular segment of the B-movies shown over that period. Usually the co-productions with Hong Kong were much superior to the local product but there are still some gems to be found!

Thanks, I was beginning to worry I was missing something despite poring over flea markets etc! I'll remain vigilant but rely more on the internet!

Look forward to hearing of future finds! :angel:

I decided to put up a few clips of some of the rare tapes I have (used to have) or borrowed from a fellow collector, since many people are having a hard time to find old Korean horror films. Here you will also see my remaster for the martial arts film: Miss, Please Be Patient.

http://www.youtube.com/user/monkeygift?feature=mhum#p/u/13/PgHeH3Vxj-4

After being inactive for almost 5 months, I thought I should kick my ass and write yet another review on some of those old Korean films I have at home.

Dracula Aema was for a long time one of my most sought after title in the AEMA BUIN series.

Here is my review of that obscure Korean Dracula film!

http://unknownkino.blogspot.com/2011/04/dracula-aema-1994.html

let's take a bite off that titty!

ei311k.jpg

Archived