Wong Fei Hung, Last Hurrah for Chivalry and more!

TripMasterMunky

TripMasterMunky

So I'm just going to kill multiple birds with one stone here. Forgive me. But let's get to the point.

1. Wong Fei Hung films. The original series of 99 films in the 50s-70s. Have these been released anywhere in any region on DVD? And who has all seen some of them here? How are they? Worth watching? I've really only just seen clips here and there on youtube, so it's hard to get a general picture of the series. As far as storylines and kung fu, how were they? I know they were a bit more tame when it came to violence compared to something like Shaw Brothers.

2. Last Hurrah for Chivalry. What's everyone's opinion of this film? Was thinking about getting it, I know DD put out a release awhile ago that is now out of print. So I'd have to do some hunting down for it, just wondering if it's worth it or not. All I know is that it is a swordplay film directed by John Woo. It seems like it's still pretty classic martial arts, something akin to Shaw Brothers and the like.

3. I noticed this forum is very specific in its title. "Classic Martial Arts Cinema 1928-1985." My question is, what happened in 1928 and what happened in 1985 to mark these years as the unofficial beginning and end of the classic martial arts genre?]

Thanks in advance for any replies and listening to my combo post.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My answer to question 1: Of the original black & white Wong Fei Hung films only about 30 or 40 of the films have survived as for DVD as far as I know only one has been released with English subs.

I can't answer question 2 as i've not seen it either.

My answer to question 3(I guess this is more of a question for the admins & mods) Well i've heard that a film called BURNING OF THE RED LOTUS TEMPLE/MONASTERY released in 1928 which I heard was the first Martial Arts film but I've heard that there could be others that were first also i've heard it was more of short series of films BURNING OF THE RED LOTUS TEMPLE also had a remake in 1965.

& 1985 is around the time Traditional Martial Art film stop being made so much also MA films where becoming less & less about MA.

'Last Hurrah' is OK. It has its fans, some love it, I thought it was alright, but sold my DD copy of the DVD off as I knew it wouldn't get heavy rotation. The choreography overall isn't up to par with the masterpieces being pumped out in 1979 and despite being a Golden Harvest movie, it felt more like a Shaw Brothers picture with the bad wigs and sound stages.

Last hurrah has few good fights,great music score and very pretty woman starring.It´s good but if you need to spend lot money or effort tracking it down maybe not worth it..

If end fight better I would recommend it fully but methinks ending was bit letdown.

masterofoneinchpunch

I have a question on Wong Fei Hung films: how many were actually made. I have read the 99 figure from a few sources like Jackie Chan's (auto)biography, but other sources like wiki or the amount of Kwan Tak-hing Wong films in HKMDB puts it around 77. What or where is the most legitimate source on this?

I actually like Last Hurrah for Chivalry, though the OOP prices for DD are a bit much. It is an important film if you are going through Woo's oeuvre and want to see use of themes that are present in his later films. I thought Chin Yuet-Sang was quite good as the Sleeping Wizard (or Swordsman).

Here's an interesting quote on The Burning of Red Lotus Temple in China on Screen (Chris Berry and Mary Farquhar):

"The box office hit at this time was The Burning of Red Lotus Temple, made by Zheng Zhengqui and Zhang Shichuan in 1928. ...--that seventeen sequels were made. This began the martial arts genre and a complex and more covert intertextuality.""

I have a question on Wong Fei Hung films: how many were actually made. I have read the 99 figure from a few sources like Jackie Chan's (auto)biography, but other sources like wiki or the amount of Kwan Tak-hing Wong films in HKMDB puts it around 77. What or where is the most legitimate source on this?

Well the figure is at least 77.

Seeing as many of the films have been lost or damaged it's almost impossible to say a 100% correct figure.

Out of those 3 sources I would say HKMDB is probably the most right as wiki is very offend incorrect & Jackie's book doesn't get updated like a web site.

there are about 100 wong fei hung movies starring Kwan Tak Hing,many got lost indeed but I have already about 40 of them ,recorded from Hongkong TV..one of them we subtitled.Only afew were released on VCD...4 or 5 of them. They never been officially subtitled...

emeraldforest
there are about 100 wong fei hung movies starring Kwan Tak Hing,many got lost indeed but I have already about 40 of them ,recorded from Hongkong TV..one of them we subtitled.Only afew were released on VCD...4 or 5 of them. They never been officially subtitled...

Sir, could you tell us which language they were originally filmed in, the few i have are Cantonese, no subs.

So many of these movies are lost, what a shame!

wish we could source these and all share the joy of finding even one lost film

:angel:

thedirtytiger

The tragic thing is that even though some of us would very much like to see them, it's not enough people to make anyone do anything about it. Also I think if someone was to try and release them, there would be much wrangling over ownership of them as they are so old and the companies long gone. TVB have tv masters that could be used of many of the films, but probably would be rather uncooperative. I actually tried writing to them once to ask about old movies as they are reputed to have Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung's earlier works too such as Big And Little Wong Tin Ba, but never heard a reply from them. Very frustrating.

Guest Markgway
Sir, could you tell us which language they were originally filmed in, the few i have are Cantonese, no subs.

Cantonese is correct.

And I thought LAST HURRAH was very good... the best film John Woo made before A Better Tomorrow.

Cantonese is correct.

And I thought LAST HURRAH was very good... the best film John Woo made before A Better Tomorrow.

Better tomorrow is crap IMO.Far too much time is spent into relationships for cost of action.

And Hand of Death is superior to Last Hurrah...

Personal opinions of course...

Building up relationships means you care about the character so that when the action comes it makes for a much more satisfying film...my opinion of course...:bigsmile:

Last Hurrah is a great swordplay film well worth having i anyones collection

Guest Markgway
Better tomorrow is crap IMO.

:crossedlips::ooh:

Far too much time is spent into relationships for cost of action.

:crossedlips::ooh:

I like Hand of Death, but Last Hurrah is a better film.

Personal opinions of course...

Yes, it's just that yours are wrong.

kingofkungfu2002
Better tomorrow is crap IMO.Far too much time is spent into relationships for cost of action.

Facepalm1.jpg

emeraldforest

LOL you guys are funny!

LAST HURRAH is a great film!

Fung Hak On is fight co-ordinator

Chow Wai Man is producer

a great cast and of course John Woo writes, co produces and directs, how can you go wrong?

its full of atmosphere, wonderful characters, weird cultural references and a decent QKPM (quality kills per minute) rating, highly recommended :)

kungfusamurai

1. I've seen a few VCD releases, and they were from HK websites. No english subs. I haven't looked for any DVD releases.

2. Last Hurrah is an okay film for me, there are great moments, but it's not in my top 10. You might like it more. It's definitely a well-made film.

It's not a huge investment, so you're not throwing away a lot of money if you don't like it.

3. I don't know about the year 1928, I'm guessing that was the first documented martial arts film? 1985 is somewhat arbitrary because modern actioners were coming out before that year as well. There really isn't any definite exact line for when Classic kung fu flicks were being made, since one could argue Mainland China and Taiwan were still making them until the late 80s or so.

KFS

Picked up the DD LAST HURRAH for around $6 at a Border's Clearance sale earlier this year. Still haven't watched it, but always thought the movie was adequate.

Better tomorrow is crap IMO.Far too much time is spent into relationships for cost of action

This is the funniest sentence I've ever read on this board.

I may be the only one who thinks this, but I find "Last Hurrah..." to be amazing. I haven't watched it in a while but I remember loving it last time I gave it a view.

Last Hurrah is great, I don't see why anyone would say differently.

That is because you fail to understand tastes differ.

It`s good one no question about that.I re-re-re watched it again yesterday and it`s not just end fight only which is kinda lame but main villain Kao drags overall quality down,he is totally wrong for the part.

That makes it 4/5...I still stand behind my words Hand of death is overall superior movie even as parts of chivalry are better than scenes in HOD.

As for better tomorrow,crap it´s not.I revisited it again but only in the end it rises above average.

Better Tomorrow2 on the other hand has rarely dull moments(and those very few ones are scenes where dean shek is insane) and is lot more enjoyable.

Morgoth Bauglir

For me it's the other way around. I thought ABT 2 was average at best, but ABT 1 is my favorite John Woo movie. ABT 2 just seems too sloppily put together, though the shootout at the end is amazing.

ABT2 has great action, especially the climax, but the original is a much better movie.

but you have to love rice scene in abt2...or?

Archived