Iron Man 3 (2013)

AlbertV

It is official, IRON MAN 3 is set for a May 3, 2013 release date. Marvel made the announcement the other day.

The other big news is that Paramount WILL NOT be releasing the film, but rather Marvel Entertainment's new owners, Walt Disney Pictures. Walt Disney Pictures will also be releasing THE AVENGERS.

However, Paramount will still release 2011's Marvel flicks THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dark Horizons has revealed that LETHAL WEAPON scribe Shane Black is in contention (not locked) to write and direct IRON MAN 3. Apparently, he impressed the Marvel bigwigs with his ideas for the film.

Major IRON MAN 3 updates:

Shane Black, who will be directing, has written the script based on the "Extremists" Iron Man mini-series. So there will be no Mandarin, but rather a modern villain who uses nano-technology to battle Iron Man.

Ben Kingsley has been cast as the villain of the film.

Guy Pearce and Jessica Chastain are in final negotiations to play Kingsley's ally and a scientist who matches wits with Tony Stark respectively.

The big news comes today from Dark Horizons that Hong Kong actor Andy Lau may make his long-awaited Hollywood debut as a Chinese scientist who helps Tony Stark in the battle against Kingsley and Pearce.

Shooting begins next month in North Carolina, followed by shooting in Hong Kong, Shanghai, and other parts of China.

Guest Markgway

I liked Iron Man more than I expected, and the sequel wasn't bad either. Andy Lau? That's interesting. And as a fan of Shane Black I'm more excited than usual about this.

Everything sounds good, but I wish Iron Man had a better rogues gallery. He has the worst villains. It sounds like they created new ones.

Here's the latest:

Andy Lau had to step down from IRON MAN 3 with good reason: He just became a 1st-time dad and wants to spend time with his newborn daughter.

Ben Kingsley is indeed playing longtime Iron Man nemesis The Mandarin, who allies himself with Killian (Guy Pearce), a scientist who creates the Extremis virus, a nanotechnological weapon.

The plot is taken from the EXTREMIS story arc back from 2005-2006 in the comic books.

New trailer is out. Lots of nerdy speculation about Iron Patriot, suits with AI, suits exploding, Mandarin, etc. Should be good.

edit: heres the LINK

Secret Executioner
New trailer is out. Lots of nerdy speculation about Iron Patriot, suits with AI, suits exploding, Mandarin, etc. Should be good.

Saw it, looks nice but: the main villain is a terrorist who thinks highly of himself, the superhero is defeated (if not broken) and we see his mask ripped... I have only one question which goes as follow: does this sound FAMILIAR ?

Oh yeah, right:

Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Rises-650x426.jpg

Beside this, the movie seems much darker and more interesting than the first 2. How many villains is there to be BTW ? Seems like there'll be a lot of them.

I just got word that one of the producers of the IRON MAN 3 is former Hong Kong actor turned producer Dan Mintz. His company, DMG, is co-producing the film for the China shoot.

Mintz is best known as the goofy Amon in Jackie Chan's ARMOUR OF GOD II: OPERATION CONDOR.

Secret Executioner

Saw it today. :xd:

It was entertaining and the action was nice. Beside that ? The comedy wasn't that great (not funny at all most of the time), the movie has some nice plot holes (SPOILER: during the final battle Stark tells Rodes he can't have an armor because they are programmed to answer only to Stark - that would be legitimate if we didn't see Pepper wearing an armor TWICE...) and the reveal of the Mandarin was the worst treatment a movie could give to such a high-level super villain (maybe worse than what was done to Bane in Batman & Robin). I find Mandarin similar to Bane in The Dark Knight Rises actually as they appear to be kick-ass at first (the Mandarin seems like a really great villain at first, pretty scarry guy I must say) but you get quite disappointed in the end. I don't know if it's because of Avengers coming out (and taking place) before this but I wondered (at points) why Captain America and Thor weren't sent/didn't show up to help Iron Man.

That said, the movie was overall pretty good - and as I said, it's really entertaining and the action is nice (though I haven't seen so much shit exploding or flying around since Transformers 3). The new director did a great job here but I don't think this 3rd film was as good as the second one.

Drunken Monk
Saw it today. :xd:

It was entertaining and the action was nice. Beside that ? The comedy wasn't that great (not funny at all most of the time), the movie has some nice plot holes (SPOILER: during the final battle Stark tells Rodes he can't have an armor because they are programmed to answer only to Stark - that would be legitimate if we didn't see Pepper wearing an armor TWICE...) and the reveal of the Mandarin was the worst treatment a movie could give to such a high-level super villain (maybe worse than what was done to Bane in Batman & Robin). I find Mandarin similar to Bane in The Dark Knight Rises actually as they appear to be kick-ass at first (the Mandarin seems like a really great villain at first, pretty scarry guy I must say) but you get quite disappointed in the end. I don't know if it's because of Avengers coming out (and taking place) before this but I wondered (at points) why Captain America and Thor weren't sent/didn't show up to help Iron Man.

That said, the movie was overall pretty good - and as I said, it's really entertaining and the action is nice (though I haven't seen so much shit exploding or flying around since Transformers 3). The new director did a great job here but I don't think this 3rd film was as good as the second one.

You have me worried now as the second film was an atrocity. Hopefully I'll see this this weekend.

Secret Executioner
You have me worried now as the second film was an atrocity. Hopefully I'll see this this weekend.

I quite enjoyed Iron Man 2 but it's clearly not that great - my opinions in terms of superhero movies have to be taken with a huge grain of salt though considering I prefer Batman & Robin over Batman Returns and The Dark Knight and I like The Hulk (2003) and Daredevil (2003) while they seem quite unpopular. That said I must admit I'm not a big fan of the Iron Man movie franchise - I much prefer the Batman or X-Men movies.

To be fair if you can go past the "wrongs" that I mentionned (plot holes, the disappointing reveal of the Mandarin, the rather poor humor and I forgot an annoying though rather useful kid) then it should be fine - the action is really great and the psychological aspect of the tortured Tony Stark is quite interesting.

One thing that killed me when I saw the trailer is that FINALLY a super villain was trying to take Iron Man down by targetting Tony Stark.It was very hard to find out who was the guy in the armor as Tony Stark merely stated he was Iron Man during a freaking press conference - guess they also needed his address to attack his home...

Anyway, it's still better than everyone able to deduce a superhero's secret identity in a movie when nobody could in the 2 previous movies and a gap of 10 years went...

I think IM3 is the best of a bad bunch, to be honest, although if you liked the first two I think you'll get a lot more out of it then I did.

Even the mighty Shane Black couldn't deliver a really great IM film.

There were good moments here and there, to be fair, but it felt padded and drawn out - more IM2 than IM1.

And yeah, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they were trying to do with you-know-who.

Secret Executioner
I think IM3 is the best of a bad bunch, to be honest, although if you liked the first two I think you'll get a lot more out of it then I did.

Even the mighty Shane Black couldn't deliver a really great IM film.

I find it sad that the Iron Man franchise wasn't that great. It suffers a problem similar to the two Fantastic Four films or the Green Lantern movie; the original comic is GREAT yet the live-action movies don't deliver - the DC Animated Movie Green Lantern: First Flight sounds really promising though.

And yeah, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they were trying to do with you-know-who.

I don't even get what you're talking about - I have an idea but if it's that then yeah, it's quite puzzling. :confused:

I find it sad that the Iron Man franchise wasn't that great. It suffers a problem similar to the two Fantastic Four films or the Green Lantern movie; the original comic is GREAT yet the live-action movies don't deliver - the DC Animated Movie Green Lantern: First Flight sounds really promising though.

I don't even get what you're talking about - I have an idea but if it's that then yeah, it's quite puzzling. :confused:

Do you mean this GL film?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Lantern-First-Flight-DVD/dp/B004X6LXOY

It's worth a look (especially at that price!) but again, it's nowhere close to capturing the imagination of the best GL comics.

I was referring to a particular character, but didn't want to go into spoiler territory - you do indeed know who I meant! :wink:

Guest Markgway

I liked the original - one of the better comic book adaptations - and the sequel was OK.

I'll check this out on DVD. I have faith in Shane Black.

Secret Executioner
@ Godfrey Ho worshipper: Yes, definitely get that GL animated movie. It's very good. And get this one, too. It has one of the best animated MA fights I've seen to date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Lantern-Emerald-Knights-Region/dp/B004QOB8PW/ref=pd_cp_d_h__2/280-0770031-9884650

I wasn't too sure about this one. The reviews are very positive though and it seems like a nice movie. :smile:

Archived