Japanese Cinema Reference Book

Michael L.

I love Japanese movies, but I don't know as much about them as Chinese film. This is probably because I read a little Chinese, can muddle my way through spoken Mandarin or Cantonese, and study Chinese martial arts. Because I want to cover more Japanese stuff in my podcast, I'd like to find a book on Japanese cinema that I can trust... not something that is all Akira Kurosawa (as much as I am a fan), but the cool stuff. I want something that covers not only the internationally respected "films" like Kurosawa but also the extra bloody cheaply made ninja flicks. If it covered TV too, that's great. I'd like to be able to figure out who that actor was that I recognize in the odd episode of Shadow Warriors, for example, or find out if the girl in Red Baron ever did another show. Since I might be watching anything from Tokyo Drifter to Hanzo the Razor to Super Giant, I might need a couple of books! Don't exclude books on Asian cinema in general if they are worth owning.

Yes, I could just do an Amazon search but I want to hear what is worth buying first.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An author by the name of Mark Schilling has written some good books about Japanese cinema.

This list might help you find exactly what you want though, including reviews of Mark Schilling's books which have a good reputation.

http://www.midnighteye.com/books/

Hope it helps. Like you I am also seeking to have more knowledge about Japanese cinema.

masterofoneinchpunch

A great starter book on Japanese Cinema (all of it from the beginning) is A Hundred Years of Japanese Film: A Concise History, with a Selective Guide to DVDs and Videos by Donald Richie:

518TGNHFNKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm a fan of Richie most known for his "The Films of Akira Kurosawa" but he is quite knowledgable. Then you might need to get books specifically on Japanese New Wave or Anime or particular directors you like. Since the book is covering a lot of territory he doesn't go as much into pulp and covers the more artistic directors from Ozu, Kurosawa, Shimizu Hiroshi, Mizoguchi Kenji, Ichikawa Kon, etc...

Three that I'd highly recommed are:

For Samurai: "Stray Dogs and Lone Wolves" (the guy also has a follow up book called "Warring Clans and Flashing Blades---I don't have that one yet, but I'm sure it's just as good)

http://www.amazon.com/Stray-Dogs-Lone-Wolves-Handbook/dp/1880656930/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287507153&sr=1-6

For Action: "No Borders, No LImits: Nikkatsu Action Cinema"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_22?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=nikkatsu+action+cinema&sprefix=nikkatsu+action+cinema

For Toho sci-fi/ Honda's movies: "Mushroom Clouds and Mushroom Men"

http://www.amazon.com/Mushroom-Clouds-Men-Fantastic-Cinema/dp/1449027717/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287507430&sr=1-1

Hardly shameless self promoting and even if it was, you might note that in my original post I am asking because I need the research for my podcast! Thanks everyone; I'm going to check out some of these titles (and your blog) tonight.

I have both of the samurai books:

Stay Dogs and Lone Wolves and Warring Clans and Flashing Blades by Patrick Galloway. They are amazing! I highly recommend both of these!

Spooky - my copy of that just arrived today!! :tongue:

Did you see that the author has another book coming out, Gun and Sword: An Encyclopedia of Japanese Gangster Films 1955-1980 :bigsmile:

Guest WuxiaFan
Did you see that the author has another book coming out, Gun and Sword: An Encyclopedia of Japanese Gangster Films 1955-1980 :bigsmile:

No I didn't know that, but it sounds awesome! I didn't see it on amazon.com - Do you have a link for it?

No I didn't know that, but it sounds awesome! I didn't see it on amazon.com - Do you have a link for it?

Sadly, I don't - it looks like it's still a "work in progress" (the author claims to have spent the last 20 years researching it), but hopefully it might be here soon.

This one is pretty good, covers a little of everything, Kaiju, Sonny Chiba, Yakuza, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/TokyoScope-Japanese-Cult-Film-Companion/dp/1569316813/ref=pd_sim_b_16

I love, love, LOVE "TokyoScope: The Japanese Cult Film Companion"! If you have any interest in Japanese film at all (or just film in general), you need this book. Absolutely indispensable!

Archived