Update on To Kill A Mastermind

HAZ

Guest Markgway

Shadow Girl and Enchanted Chamber aren't all that... and at least they're available in watchable boots.

Mastermind really NEEDS a proper release.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any ideas on what fans could do (other than post on a forum with positive comments) to motivate this company to proceed?

What is it they really need ( or are looking for ) to greenlight this disc?

That's a good question - With this specific company, it could be that they are the first North american company to make a serious enquiry regarding To Kill A Mastermind. With the Shaw catalog being as big as it is, I imagine that choosing films for release can get to complicated - many slip under the radar - and companies gravitate to proven titles, with a known track record. To the people who post here, TKAM is very known, but to others it's an obscure film with no following. Hopefully, people posting in this thread (which is being read by the people interested in putting out TKAM) will help prove that there is interest in the movie.

What could also work, is that people could send me an email. I just created an email address:

tkamdvd@gmail.com

I will forward any emails I get to the folks interested in putting out TKAM. That's a start!

An online petition could be good - I seem to remember one in the past.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pass on some info I have about To Kill A Mastermind and it's potential release. There is a company that is looking to put out TKAM in R1, but Celestial has not remastered the materials, nor are they planning to in the immediate future. This can change suddenly, though - Celestial is always modifying policies and it's plans for the Shaw catalog, so they might remaster it tomorrow for all we know. The company looking to put out TKAM has some apprehension; they would put it out unremastered, but they're afraid that people would be unhappy with the results.

My question is - Would people want to see this unremastered? Is there demand enough to see TKAM that it would sell even if it was unrestored? There was a time that Celestial wouldn't have allowed any film to come out unrestored. I guess they have reversed their position. I'm also assuming that the rest of their unreleased films are unrestored as well.

I will send this thread to the company reps of the R1 company to show them the interest that people have in TKAM!

Thanks!

h

Hey HAZ -

I know I'm late to the party and appreciate you pinging us for our suggestions. I'm sure I am reiterating what others may have already posted (LMFAO at the post of the por quality images), but it's expected right?

My Criteria -

1. Release what you have. At worse it is from the present "film" master isn't it? We're not talking a DVD authoring job from VHS or CAM boot. So at least it will be a DVD authored release from an actual film print. No arguments there - from anyone. Remember this audience is used to (still used to) vhs and poorer sources to enjoy our classics. This release "as is" will be doing the genre a huge service.

2. Subtitles hardcoded or not. No difference as there is no plans for an ENG dubb track. The majority, if not most, will be referring to the subs anyway. There was a post that a side project would be available (given credit) to create subs, but it is redundant. Furthermore it will pull us one step further from it's authenticity. Given the CAM version we have seem, the subs are burnt in anyways. So it's a moot point. But if the subs are separate from the beginning, then make it optional - the least that could be provided by the DVD authoring process.

3. For (Celestial) remastering, don't bother. Too much time and money that they won't see on $$ returns $$. that's what got Celestial in the position they are in. It will be appreciated as is.

4. Assuming (it's from film source) - it will be anamorphic widescreen. 16:9 it at least. And uncut. Another basic feature easily provided by basic DVD Authoring.

5. If possible, hit collector's up for BONUS MATERIALS: lobby cards, and throw trailers for good measure. If Asian film has more features (interviews, on set footage) then you can spend the money and time on that - save $$ from attempting a remaster process.

Beggars can't be choosers. But they will definitely support and love the project as it stands.

Thank you!

It's all from celestial film sources, that's without a doubt. It would be widescreen & uncut. I threw at them the suggestion of packaging it as a double feature with a remastered print. That seemed to get their interest.

I also hope someone from the company comes on here to reply to our posts! that would be great!

The Amazing Psycho Per

Hey, why not as a double feature with an UNCUT version of Avenging Eagle that would show the final fight in it's entirety... I think that would sell.

I'd be on it! Look at that cast!

It seems to me a wise business decision, companies are releasing R1s of movies that people already own(the IVLs), some are begrudgingly double dipping if its worth it, but most, as I've read on here, aren't.

Morgoth Bauglir

I find it odd that some people are assuming the movie is not that good just because it has not been remastered. Did you watch the opening fights clip on youtube? That is some truly great action going on there. Plus, you get to see one of Yuen Wah's very best roles of his career, and a great end fight with Johnny Wang. I don't see any reason why fans wouldn't support this. Maybe you are not a fan of Sun Chung, I dunno.

The fact is that the Shaw Brothers made so many movies, and a lot of them haven't been remastered. There's definitely a lot of good ones that have been overlooked, not just 2 or 3 or 4 or a small number like that. Look at Deadly Angels, a fun movie that made a killing at the box office, has never been remastered (at least I haven't seen it remastered).

I just want proof that Celestial actually has a quality print, I mean we've heard for years that its lost, damaged, burned. If celestial has a print that is ready for remastering I dont understand why it wouldn't have been done already.

Chemical Lemon

There's no logic in associating popularity or profitability with quality. And definitely no logic in associating Celestial's decisions with the quality of any particular movie. But on top of that, even if TKAM is not the greatest movie, or is even horrible, I still want to see it. and I still want to know that it's available in some form, at least in the hands of people who will make sure it never disappears forever. When things are locked away and accessible to only a handful of people, there's great potential for them to disappear forever. I don't see why any movie isn't deserving of some sort of preservation and accessibility. Even if it isn't necessarily profitable.

All that damaged print stuff seems like supposed hearsay & woolly bs to me, spread by the likes of these forums - remember that 5 Element Ninja is damaged beyond repair stuff couple of years back... How do any of us really know. The only print we can be reasonably sure is too damaged is Tiger Boy.

I think we should just be saying: "get this movie released". Then, if it is ever released, we can argue as much as we like about it's positive or negative aspects. After all, what's it costing us right now? Just the few minutes it takes to post in this thread.

It's a cool flick and I'd take a subpar Crash CInema transfer at this point.

The original Jade Screen fanzine went ga-ga for it, if that helps credibility. Believe it was Daniel Lee that loved it.

That's a good question - With this specific company, it could be that they are the first North american company to make a serious enquiry regarding To Kill A Mastermind. With the Shaw catalog being as big as it is, I imagine that choosing films for release can get to complicated - many slip under the radar - and companies gravitate to proven titles, with a known track record. To the people who post here, TKAM is very known, but to others it's an obscure film with no following. Hopefully, people posting in this thread (which is being read by the people interested in putting out TKAM) will help prove that there is interest in the movie.

What could also work, is that people could send me an email. I just created an email address:

tkamdvd@gmail.com

I will forward any emails I get to the folks interested in putting out TKAM. That's a start!

An online petition could be good - I seem to remember one in the past.

Hello everyone and yeah that was the petition I created a few years back on behalf of kungfucinema, sent it to anyone and everyone at Celestial, including IVL and received the token responses of "thanks for your support and we continue to evaluate our releases of the Shaw Bros library."

I believe the petition is still on the web, last time I checked it was near 300 names and email addresses. If the complete list, emails included which I dont think are viewable to everyone, would be of any help I could try and access it again or send you the link to the url address and maybe that could help get this in motion.

raider yang

Guest Markgway

I would happily buy TKAM on its own but if the company are borderline on the idea then why not do a double feature (ie. pair TKAM with a similar or connected UNremastered movie that needs a legit release)

For example - a Sun Chung double feature of TO KILL A MASTERMIND and (as the B-feature) GODFATHER'S FURY (distributed by Shaw Bros).

Or--

If you want to stick with the martial arts genre RECKLESS CRICKET as the B-feature.

I think that makes more sense than coupling with a remastered title than many may already have...

While I appreciate someone is finally looking into releasing tkam. How long will we have to wait? That is one reason why I decided to ask my mandarin speaking friend. If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of tkam with removable English subtitles, please let me know and I'll create a separate thread. I'm not looking to make a huge load of money off this. My finalize price is $7 per copy with free shipping for US customers only. I will post a 2 mins sample of the subtitles next week.

The Amazing Psycho Per
I would happily buy TKAM on its own but if the company are borderline on the idea then why not do a double feature (ie. pair TKAM with a similar or connected UNremastered movie that needs a legit release)

For example - a Sun Chung double feature of TO KILL A MASTERMIND and (as the B-feature) GODFATHER'S FURY (distributed by Shaw Bros).

Or--

If you want to stick with the martial arts genre RECKLESS CRICKET as the B-feature.

I think that makes more sense than coupling with a remastered title than many may already have..

Not sure the solution is to couple it with another unknown movie... I don't think two obscure movies make it more apealing to a wider market. The way I see it, if you want to double bill it, you need to put it with a more sure hit. I like my idea better :tongue:

To Kill a Mastermind gets everyone going everytime. Is it the title of the movie, or the movie, or both. I have not seen it, i have

not even dared. The reason is, the only copy that i know of was recorded by a handheld camera during a screening (that had

to have been done in england). They caught it on film alright but it's a bit like a dream in the sense the quality is a nightmare.

Just so you know the fanboys out there became real hard up for a copy to spite the quality. As you can easily see by viewing

those Youtube videos, you can barely see anything. I don't think it was even a year ago that that version surfaced. I shiver at

the thought, and believe me it's not only because it has gotten a little cold outside. This movie is definitely in need of being

not only released, but saved from the clutches of the invisible monster which has robbed and chews up all those beautiful

widescreen prints and leaves us with nothing more but seriously cropped, poor cat pissed on quality 3rd generation VHS

recordings and worse. That HAD to have been Rick Baker who recorded it with a handheld camera all those years ago!

I don`t see why they would release it as double-bill..

They can release more well known movie individually and TKAM with another less known movie it would just make extra costs thus more risk it to be financially worthy.

There is market for TKAM to be released on it`s own,not in double pack and if licence fee reasonable company see some profit.

If print about same quality as rarescopes showdown at cotton mill I would be over the moon:tongue:

Morgoth Bauglir
To Kill a Mastermind gets everyone going everytime. Is it the title of the movie, or the movie, or both.

Neither. You can't narrow it down to something that simple. "Some" of the reasons why it gets people talking so much is because of the sweet poster and lobbys, because Sun Chung is the director, the awesome fight scenes, and the fact that nobody has a good copy of it and are willing to share it with the public.

As you can easily see by viewing those Youtube videos, you can barely see anything.

I wouldn't go that far. I can see enough to know that the fights are spectacular. At least 4 fight scenes had me on the edge of my seat. The opening fights, 2 Yuen Wah fights, and the thrilling finale. I can definitely say that I saw a hell of a lot more than "barely anything".

Does anyone even know what this movie is about, the burnt in english subtitles are completely cropped. I assuming that

the praise for this film has not been for the "fight scenes" alone not knowing the details of the script. Morloth mentioned

he was on the edge of his seat at least 4 times during the fight scenes, i admit i was on the edge of my seat too Morloth

but it's because i could barely tell what was going on. I tend to avoid those horribly watered down prints, to top it off, as i

mentioned the subtitles are completely cropped. I would have to look at the source material for that print, perhaps if this

company is no longer interested in obtaining rights to this film then Venom's subtitled copy would be worth another look

in the future. Im afraid the print that exists it too horrible to be worth it but i appreciate the fact that Venom would go all

out and have the actual cantonese (mandarin?) track subtitled. Maybe then someone could at least write a review.

tkamcastphoto

Archived