Update on To Kill A Mastermind

HAZ

Hey forgive me for being a bit skeptical but I see no reason to believe Celestial will give rarescope or whoever an unremasteted film from their Shaw library. what financial sense does it make for them? If all the fan emails and petitions didn't make them budge on TKAM then how is thread going to do so? So you guys waist your time getting excited for nothing. Now with that said I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't think you understand - an established DVD company has inquired about putting out TKAM. The film is not remastered. Celestial will let them put it out as is and charge them for it. That's all there is to it.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand I just don't believe Celestial will agree, I am no expert on Celestial history but have they done a similar act with a film before? I assume they purchased the Shaw Library to make money and the only way I see to do that is remaster the film and sell it first through Celestial/IVL then release that print to other companies. Basically how they've done the majority of the better selling films.

So I'm not saying I am against these ideas and plans, I just don't think Celestial will play ball. When it comes to TKAM, its a Celestial mystery, we don't even know if they really have a print. I think there are many like me who believe they don't.

700]I don't think you understand - an established DVD company has inquired about putting out TKAM. The film is not remastered. Celestial will let them put it out as is and charge them for it. That's all there is to it.

Also.....to quote Soul of the Sword, "Sometimes wanting is better than having" I am probably one of the few on these boards who has never glimpsed TKAM, from reading about it and seeing the enthusiasm of the online community the film has taken on a holy grail like status, an item that may or may not exist that everyone wants to get their hands on. I'm basically afraid that it can never live up to the mythos we've placed on it. When Ti Lung defeats the King of Swords he realizes its not what he thought it would be and he goes looking for what he already had. To avoid that feeling I almost want TKAM to remain a mystery.

I was going to make an announcement once the translation was half way down. However, with this announcement and the demand to see TKAM with removable English subtitles. I'll let y'all know my friend who speaks fluent Mandarin and English is currently translating TKAM. I'm currently in the process of timing the film and we should expect to have it completed by December. Now the problem I have is; I'm not to keen on the print we're using, so if anyone has a better quality print, please let me know and I'll give you a free copy of TKAM. When I get home from school later this evening, I'll post screen-caps of the print I'm using.

If someone has a better quality print than the pictures below, please pm me.

2m2yt06.png

292qo9x.png

29lbnz7.png

Guest Markgway

I think those caps prove better than mere words could how badly we need a legit release.

And frankly I don't care whether or not I like Mastermind after all is said and done. That's really not the point. It should be available for everyone to see. Even the biggest pice of shit from Shaw Bros deserves a proper release - after all someone out there will love it regardless.

Most definitely interested. I think if a Region 1 US company is considering it however that they remember that the cover art is

almost as important in securing a sale as the film. Possibly even more important since the majority of the people seeing it will

not have heard of To Kill A Mastermind. There is a difference between "Good" and "Great" cover art and the US Region one

releases for the most part have had neither. The art is supposed to grab the viewer and practically make them need to own it.

That seems like a high standard, but its possible. It's been less than striking so far, and when it was, too few and far in between

times to hit the mark. If martial arts films are truly ever hope to make a comeback, it needs to start somewhere. Well Go USA

has OK/Good cover art, Funimation has been amongst the worst any genre, any year. What i say might bother someone out

there, you may say, Daigoro, who gave YOU the right to make such harsh criticisms. Im just a fan and that is my opinion.

Yang Wu Liang

Agreed Mark. I've watched some real dog prints but I couldn't bring myself to sit through that woeful bootleg.

I would buy it in a second.

To avoid that feeling I almost want TKAM to remain a mystery.

That's crazy talk Iron Boat... I doubt anyone thinks it's going to prove to be the best film ever made but Sun Chung is one of the best directors (my favourite) at Shaws and, having seen all those bad ass lobby cards, I can't believe he didn't deliver the goods with TKAM.

I do share your cynicism regarding Celestial though!

odioustrident

The film is so hyped largely because of the people involved, cant forget that.

I was never able to sit through the TKAM print, but I'm pretty sure this and Thunderclap have some of the best action out of the studio.

edit: Did Celestial say the prints were too damaged to release? Someone said this. Can anyone confirm where that is coming from?

The film is so hyped largely because of the people involved, cant forget that.

I was never able to sit through the TKAM print, but I'm pretty sure this and Thunderclap have some of the best action out of the studio.

edit: Did Celestial say the prints were too damaged to release? Someone said this. Can anyone confirm where that is coming from?

As far as I know, and that comes with dealing with people who work for Celestial, there is no print too damaged to release. They have telecined all the materials, but they haven't remastered them all.

Sorry, but I must be the only person that thinks this kind of thread is silly as it adds more false hope that allready existed when Celestial acquired the shaw brothers library.

Maybe Iron Boat joins you...If released I will buy it sure if fair improvement over garbage version without subs floating around.

That is unwatchable.

odioustrident

This print seems semi-watchable, without the blur of the camjobs, I remember some guy running it around here a while ago right?

Any chance people have this one and aren't lame about trading it out? Don't think it can be that rare honestly.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Mmm... I expected more enthousiasm in this thread... I think, the very fact a company is even considering taking a chance with an obscure movie few people have actually seen in it's entirety, commands support. I'm sure more people are interested then that?

By the way HAZ, if it's the company I'm thinking about, maybe they could finally consider releasing Mystery of Chess Boxing while they're at it.:bigsmile:

I would buy it, no matter the print quality. Anyone willing to take a risk and release old kung fu movies deserves our support.

If the print is in a really bad condition, perhaps releasing this as a double feature (grindhouse style) with another "scratchy" kung fu movie and some rare trailers could be the way to go?

I agree on the need for optional subs.

Just as some backstory, a friend of mine has started consulting a with a DVD company that is already releasing Shaw Brothers films. They have been asking him for suggestions for future releases, and TKAM is a film that he mentioned as having a following. Celestial was then contacted and they said that the film is unremastered, but that it's for sale.

If someone has a better quality print than the pictures below, please pm me.

Sadly, my print is no better.

Its great to hear, HAZ, about the potential for a better copy. No matter what comes out, it will surely be better than the current copy. Does anyone remember what it was like merely a decade ago? No remastered Shaw prints. Most were 4th generation VHS rips - if we were lucky to find them. I think we've all become a bit spoiled by the IVLs and while it would be nice for all SB films to look this way, there will be some films forever trapped in BootlegScope.

Guest shortstop

I have a dark & blurry copy, can't even read the subs. Even with that, I still enjoyed the movie. I would buy an un-remastered copy in a heartbeat. Put me on the mailing list!

It would be great if they put out a re-mastered copy, as this flick, from what I can tell, is a really really good movie. It deserves to be in the collection in as mint condition as possible.

Well, I just got off the phone with someone from a R1 company who's putting out Shaw Brothers films. We spoke specifically about To Kill A Mastermind, and I emailed them our present discussion, and some past ones. Hopefully, something will happen. If there's a groundswell of support for this, that would be a huge help. There have been some letdowns in the past with TKAM. If this could become a reality, it would be fantastic.

i had always read that this title as well as a few others had been remastered by celestial and were just awaiting a distributor. also i am pretty sure that i read some where that they also had the english dub version. maybe i'm wrong.:ooh:

i had always read that this title as well as a few others had been remastered by celestial and were just awaiting a distributor. also i am pretty sure that i read some where that they also had the english dub version. maybe i'm wrong.:ooh:

There was always the assupmtion that it had been remastered, which I think was based on some misinformation that had been going around. I was under the same imprssion, too. I've spoke to people who are actually licensing the films in North America now, and it's become clearer to me that TKAM has not been given the Celestial remastering treatment.

I suppose it does not matter who first reported the Print to be damaged, but the question is if the print was not as believed damaged;

Why did Celestial not even bother to restore or release it. Especially if it is as fantastic as it was proclaimed to be. There has to be a

catch, unless they have a different print with Burned in subtitled wide print not so much unlike we have seen before. I would not mind

seeing this film, but truthfully it would not be my first choice amongst UNRELEASED Shaw Brothers titles. I would keep my options

open and look at just as deserving titles like Shadow Girl which was one of Lily Li's few starring roles, or Enchanted Chamber.

Just my opinion

If there's a groundswell of support for this, that would be a huge help

Any ideas on what fans could do (other than post on a forum with positive comments) to motivate this company to proceed?

What is it they really need ( or are looking for ) to greenlight this disc?

Archived