Update on To Kill A Mastermind

HAZ

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pass on some info I have about To Kill A Mastermind and it's potential release. There is a company that is looking to put out TKAM in R1, but Celestial has not remastered the materials, nor are they planning to in the immediate future. This can change suddenly, though - Celestial is always modifying policies and it's plans for the Shaw catalog, so they might remaster it tomorrow for all we know. The company looking to put out TKAM has some apprehension; they would put it out unremastered, but they're afraid that people would be unhappy with the results.

My question is - Would people want to see this unremastered? Is there demand enough to see TKAM that it would sell even if it was unrestored? There was a time that Celestial wouldn't have allowed any film to come out unrestored. I guess they have reversed their position. I'm also assuming that the rest of their unreleased films are unrestored as well.

I will send this thread to the company reps of the R1 company to show them the interest that people have in TKAM!

Thanks!

h

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been given no word on the condition of the print. I'll try to get more info. I'm expecting it to look Rarescope-ish, but it might be better. I've seen some unrestored Shaw films that looked great.

The Silver Fox

I'd buy it in a second. Anything would be better than the crummy VHS sourced /cut off subs version that I have now. I would actually find it refreshing to see it looking a little raw. I would hope that it would be widescreen Mandarin audio with readable Eng subs.

Widescreen is definate & it's in Mandarin. That much I'm sure of. Nothing would be cropped. I would suggest for them to have removable subs for place where the subtitles are hard to see.

One Armed Boxer

I`d have to second odioustrident....based on what I remember from the clips of the movies they used to show in the Chang Cheh, Ti Lung, & Wang Yu documentaries that some of the original Celestial DVD`s would come with.

They obviously showed clips before the remastering was done, and they looked in pretty bad shape with black lines darting all over the screen the whole time...with that being said though, most of the clips shown were from movies made in the late 60`s/early 70`s, & considering TKAM is `79, the print may be in much better shape than the earlier Shaws.

I have a shaw print that's unremastered & it looks very nice, with all of the OG color. I've seen trailers that look pristine. With some luck, it's in good shape. I will try to find out more!

I would if it was removeable subbed, but there's no excuse for not having them as an optional extra, even if there's burned-in subs. Burned-in subs are a pain to read.

Morgoth Bauglir

As long as it's better than the current version going around they should release it. I've been wanting to read the subtitles or this for a long time. Burned in subs would be a disappointment, but I'd still buy it as long as they are mostly readable.

Guest Markgway

Unremastered print vs horrible bootleg is a no-brainer.

I couldn't watch the one I had so I'd vote in favour of any legit release.

If it ticks all the basic boxes: Mandarin, subtitled, anamorphic 2.35, uncut... then I'd happily buy it.

I don't mind burnt-in subs, but optional new subs for those that do might be a good idea.

loempiavreter

Nice! If this fell through, I would would buy day 1!

Any improvement over the copy that's floating around would be ok (and subs would be nice)!

Personally, not adding removable subtitles would be the only deal breaker for me. Like kaleyboy said, it's just too easy, when compared to remastering video, to replace (or cover up) existing hard subs with much easier to read removable subs.

Even though I believe that this movie does indeed deserve to be remastered, I think the majority of the people that participate in this forum would buy this up in its current widescreen state. I would just think that it would be a little sad to see a movie like Journey of the Doomed remastered, but not TKAM. TKAM is a masterpiece compared to many of the remastered Shaws already released, and I've only seen this without English subs or dubs.

I don't know, but I would like to think that this company could sell enough copies to compensate for the remastering process because it would widen their consumer market tremendously.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I agree that it can't possibly be worst then the boot floating around... Couldn't watch it either...

I don't mind unremastered, look at the Fortune Star releases, most of them are unremastered and they look pretty fine by my standards. I like the rough look of unremastered film. As long as there are no major image or sound issue, I'd definately buy it.

i'd buy it no matter what---but how about somebody trying to find the legendary lost english dub version. that would solve the unreadable sub problem.:xd: oh--by the way what company are you talking about---i suggested to CRITERION that they should consider this movie. just curious.

i'd buy it no matter what---but how about somebody trying to find the legendary lost english dub version. that would solve the unreadable sub problem.:xd: oh--by the way what company are you talking about---i suggested to CRITERION that they should consider this movie. just curious.

It's a company already involved in putting out Shaw Brothers films. I don't want to mention the name until they give approval.

Please keep the posts & feedback coming. If there's support for this film, that would go a long way to getting it out there!

Guest Markgway

Ignore Iron Boat he speaks only for himself.

The vast majority would rather see Mastermind released unremastered than not at all.

Oh, and I forgot, but also mono sound. Don't waste time and money on a remix no one wants.

If Mastermind sells well enough... there are plenty other rares deserving of attention. So we should support this.

I was going to make an announcement once the translation was half way down. However, with this announcement and the demand to see TKAM with removable English subtitles. I'll let y'all know my friend who speaks fluent Mandarin and English is currently translating TKAM. I'm currently in the process of timing the film and we should expect to have it completed by December. Now the problem I have is; I'm not to keen on the print we're using, so if anyone has a better quality print, please let me know and I'll give you a free copy of TKAM. When I get home from school later this evening, I'll post screen-caps of the print I'm using.

Chemical Lemon

I will buy this remastered or not.

I can live with less than stellar quality. What I can't stand is the idea these movies are sitting there rotting while we wait for someone to decide they're worth saving.

I'd definitely buy it, I've been waiting to see this movie for years!

Mastered or Original print either or is cool to me, as long as the subs read clearly and the picture is not completely jacked up :xd:

Hopefully Celestial gives it the green light

Ignore Iron Boat he speaks only for himself.

The vast majority would rather see Mastermind released unremastered than not at all.

Oh, and I forgot, but also mono sound. Don't waste time and money on a remix no one wants.

If Mastermind sells well enough... there are plenty other rares deserving of attention. So we should support this.

Hey forgive me for being a bit skeptical but I see no reason to believe Celestial will give rarescope or whoever an unremasteted film from their Shaw library. what financial sense does it make for them? If all the fan emails and petitions didn't make them budge on TKAM then how is thread going to do so? So you guys waist your time getting excited for nothing. Now with that said I'd love to be proven wrong.

Archived