Kung Fu movies on UK TV

rederror

Was flicking through the channels on Sky the other day and came across a channel called Movies 4 Men. It's a free movie channel and It shows a lot of cheesy 80/90's action films but also late at night a few Kung Fu movies including:

Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger

Assault on Final Rival

Fearless Dragons

Kung Fu Genius

Shadow of the Tiger

Just a heads up for anyone in the UK as we don't get much (if any) of these movies on TV.

Shaolin Chamber 36
Was flicking through the channels on Sky the other day and came across a channel called Movies 4 Men. It's a free movie channel and It shows a lot of cheesy 80/90's action films but also late at night a few Kung Fu movies including:

Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger

Assault on Final Rival

Fearless Dragons

Kung Fu Genius

Shadow of the Tiger

Just a heads up for anyone in the UK as we don't get much (if any) of these movies on TV.

That's an impressive list of films, considering it's a free movie channel. I remember awhile back on the cable channel Encore, they were showing Legend of the Red Dragon (New Legend of Shaolin) repeatedly ... but sadly, no old school films such as the ones you listed.

sifu iron perm

fists of fury 2

snake in the monkey's shadow

and another Drunken movie..

its not bad but those films have been on repeat since last year ago or longer than that.

Better than nothing!

I watched Snake in The Monkeys Shadow last night. yes they might be a bit cut here and there but it's great to see some proper old school Kung Fu on the TV if you ask me.

sifu iron perm

who else can remember when channel 4 aired Two Crippled Heroes? I kid you not, it was part of some disbaled showcase season on channel 4..i was like..."wait there..what the Fu.."

Nice one, cheers for the heads up rederror. I very rarely flick through the sky channels, so i'll add that to my list of channels. I haven't seen a couple of those films.

Damn I used to get excited when I was younger and the late night Channel 4 'seasons' would be aired.

sifu iron perm
Nice one, cheers for the heads up rederror. I very rarely flick through the sky channels, so i'll add that to my list of channels. I haven't seen a couple of those films.

Damn I used to get excited when I was younger and the late night Channel 4 'seasons' would be aired.

absolutely, Mr J Ross introduced a season of films like Zu warriors, Ecounters of the spooky Kind, Rosa & Mr Vampire.

Yeah i remember the Channel 4 season with Mr Vampire etc. Also when they showed the Jackie movies, Wheels on Meals, Armour of God etc. Can't remember the last time some decent kung fu was showed subtitled etc. Missed two crippled heroes though...damn!!

this is a list of the films I remember watching on channel 4 over the years.

"All films were widscreen and cantonese but varied aspect ratios"

Project A

Project A 2

Police Story

Police Story 2 (?)

Police Story3

Armour of God (open matte)

Wheels on Meals

Mr Vampire

Mr Vampire 2

Rouge

Encounter of the Spooky Kind

Spiritual Love

Peking Opera Blues

Zu Warriors

Chinese Ghost Story

Chinese Ghost Story 2

Chinese Ghost Story 3

Esprit D'Amour

Big Boss

Fist Of Fury

Way of the Dragon

Game of Death

Sky Movies Cinema 2 - aired Encounter of the Spooky Kind 2 in english.

What films did I miss?

(Note: Ch4 aired the chinese version of Game of Death (1978) but they cut out the nunchaku scene and remember the ''Temple of Gold'' fight is already missing from those old chinese prints, so that left only the Kareem vs Bruce fight on ch4. 'lol)

Ah, the memories!

Well remembered, Son Of A Gun!!

IIRC, the first season was the Chinese Ghost Stories season, which was made up of:

Zu Warriors

Chinese Ghost Story

Chinese Ghost Story 2

Chinese Ghost Story 3

Esprit D'Amour

This was Xmas 1989, which makes me feel old.

Were the rest of the ghost stories shown the following Xmas? I'm sure there was a 2nd season.

Then it was the Jackie season, which was (I think):

Project A

Wheels on Meals

Police Story 1 (and possibly 2)

Armour of God

Happy days!

Another few that popped up on C4 were:

Kirk Wong's Rock and Roll Cop in 1996 and Ringo Lam's Wild Search, roughly around the same time.

Reel Power Stunts

Hi Karlos

I think the Channel 4 "Chinese Ghost Stories" series of Christmas/New Year (I think) 1990 was:

"Zu Warriors"

"Spooky Encounters"

"Mr Vampire"

"Esprit D'Amour"

"Spiritual Love".

Oh, yes, and "Rouge"

I'm pretty certain that "A Chinese Ghost Story 3" wasn't even released in HK until 1991.

Also, I'm pretty sure BBC2 aired "A Chinese Ghost Story" before this series - in 1989 perhaps?

Guest Markgway

The repeat of the Chinese Ghost Stories season was Xmas 1994. I stayed up every night to tape them. :)

They were originally shown Xmas 1990 - but that was just before I got into HK cinema.

The Jackie Chan season was screened Xmas 1991; repeated Sept 1995.

The Bruce Lee and New Wave seasons were both 1997.

All of the scope films were cropped to 16:9.

Reel Power Stunts

You guys got me on a nostalgia kick now! I had to upload this. Sorry for poor quality - can't believe I taped this 20 years ago...

r2lzZ16COK4

Ah, the memories!

Well remembered, Son Of A Gun!!

IIRC, the first season was the Chinese Ghost Stories season, which was made up of:

Zu Warriors

Chinese Ghost Story

Chinese Ghost Story 2

Chinese Ghost Story 3

Esprit D'Amour

This was Xmas 1989, which makes me feel old.

Were the rest of the ghost stories shown the following Xmas? I'm sure there was a 2nd season.

Then it was the Jackie season, which was (I think):

Project A

Wheels on Meals

Police Story 1 (and possibly 2)

Armour of God

Happy days!

Another few that popped up on C4 were:

Kirk Wong's Rock and Roll Cop in 1996 and Ringo Lam's Wild Search, roughly around the same time.

Oh right, I never saw that first screening of the Ghost movies in 1989.

My first time seeing the Ghost films was Ch4's 1994 "Chinese Ghost Story Season"

shown over the Christmas holiday. They showed the same films as you listed in 1989.

Zu Warriors/Rouge/Mr Vampire/Spritiual Love/Encounter of the Spooky Kind

I thank Ch4 so much for showing those films that christmas. It changed me forever. 'lol

Up untill that point I had only been into Action films and then I saw those Spooky comedies and I was like "Woh! I have been missing out on these great genre of films"

I had to stay up really late to watch them because some started at 1am.

I seem to remember Xmas eve night, 1am, I was watching ''Mr Vampire'' for the very first time. I loved it.

I did catch the 1989/90 season of Jackie Chan films though. The same selection of JC films were shown atleast 2 more times in later years.

I wish they would do some more HK movie seasons. :(

P.S - and yes there was a second season of Chinese movies, shown in the summer.

The year escapes me. But I remember "Peking Opera Blues" being one of them.

Thanks for the date corrections Mark! Thankgod someone has a good memory.

Yeah, they were some excellent memories staying up and watching cool ghost/vampire flicks over the christmas period all those years ago.

I seem to remember Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 being aired over the christmas period, possibly in '98 or '99.

Then there was the BBC getting in on the act with their Kung Fu Night. A collection of films, tv and documentaries. I'd never seen the Prodigal Son before, and the dubbing made me laugh so much!

kfnn.jpg

sifu iron perm
I'm sure Channel 4 also showed the "Fong Sai Yuk" and "Once Upon a Time in China" films. Am I wrong?

bbc played fong sai..

maybe film on four (subscription) played once upon a time?

I miss the old film on four, they showed some great international cinema and kept it current well as the past/classics.

Bravo played the victim (eng dub), bhuddist fist and few others. Also bravo had the made in hong kong season.