The New Bourne Movie

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

I don't know how many of you have heard this. I saw this this morning on Yahoo Movie News. The new Bourne movie is titled 'The Bourne Legacy'. The title is taken from Eric Van Lustbader's book (he's taken over writing for the Bourne franchise). Get this.....while Bourne is in the book, he won't be in the movie. That's right....WON'T. Matt Damon refused to do a 4th if director Paul Greengrass wasn't involved. Tony Gilroy, director of 'Michael Clayton', is helming the 4th installment. What he plans to do is create another 'Bourne' type character for the film. He plans to expand the idea of a large conspiracy and leave it open for Bourne's possible future return. (I guess that would depend on how well or terribly his movie performs.)

I'm truly disappointed that Damon isn't coming back. I don't begrudge him for sticking to his guns. When there's a chemistry that works, why mess with it? That's why so many good bands suck after they start changing their line-up because of "artistic differences". (Sorry, I didn't see that soapbox there.) I'm not disappointed with Damon but with the studios. I would think they would want Damon in the movie as he is the face of Bourne and that they'd work to that end. I don't think Damon's being a diva about it. He and Greengrass know the character and I think he's right to be wary about trusting someone else. He's helped to make some memorable movies and he doesn't want to sully that.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree. If the actor and director have this chemistry that works, why mess it up? Damon is Jason Bourne and to not have him involved in the new film kind of messes it up completely. If there is some sort of mention of Bourne, it could work or have one of the major supporting characters from the previous films in the film involved in the new film. However, I would prefer Greengrass and Damon returning.

I loved books and movies have some good stuff but overall did not impress me.

Too much emphasis was based into satellites and mobiles.

Felt often I am watching "24".

ShaOW!linDude

I agree that some of the action sequences were jumpy and fast and filmed in a way that was somewhat disconcerting (I'm thinking of a specific fight scene in the 2nd one). But as far as an action/spy thriller, the Bourne movies were some of the best to come down the line in quite a while. But that's just me.

Oddly enough, I went to a used bookstore and found a copy of his 1st Bourne book after watching the 1st movie. Half way through I fighting to get through to the end. I was bored out of my mind. Haven't touched a Ludlum book since.

It's a shame about Matt Damon but I honestly couldn't be happier that Paul Greengrass has gone. Bourne supremacy would have been superb without the fucking shaky camerawork and fast editing.:mad: Ultimatum, which could have been better in my opinion, also suffered the same problems with shaky cam and quick editing. Hopefully this will be remedied with a new director trying to put his own stamp on the franchise.:bigsmile:

froffeecoffee
I've never heard of him?

He's an Oscar nominee for The Hurt Locker and since then he's been cast as Hawkeye in the upcoming Avengers movie and Mission Impossible-Ghost Protocol.

Excellent actor. If you haven't heard of him you will be within the next year.

ShaOW!linDude
I've never heard of him?

Have you ever seen S.W.A.T. starring Colin Farrell, Samuel Jackson, LL Cool Jay, Michelle Rodriguez, Olivier Martinez?

http://www.amazon.com/S-W-Widescreen-Special-Samuel-Jackson/dp/B00008EYA5/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1303514307&sr=1-1

Renner plays Farrell's nemesis.

Good movie. I recommend it.

I enjoyed all the Bourne movies I do agree about the shaky ass camera action scenes but overall I did really enjoy them. To bad M.D. doesn't want to return but hey if they can do it with James Bond then Fuck-em! :crossedlips:

froffeecoffee
To bad M.D. doesn't want to return but hey if they can do it with James Bond then Fuck-em! :crossedlips:

He does want to return, possibly in the future. But he won't do another one without director Paul Greengrass who directed Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum.

He does want to return, possibly in the future. But he won't do another one without director Paul Greengrass who directed Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum.

OK I can respect his decision but sometimes another Director can bring something new to the table he said atleast give him a try. That is My opinion.

I think that was a good choice, for one of the 1st. times I can honestly say that, he has similar looks to M.D. so I think was a good move.

Renner isn't going to play Jason Bourne. He's going to play another ex-assassin who underwent the same program that Bourne went into, hence the name THE BOURNE LEGACY.

This will give MD the option to perhaps return to the franchise later on.

Renner definitely is a good choice. He's sure got a lot on his plate now should he accept the role. I thought he gave a great performance in Ben Affleck's THE TOWN...and to think, he made his film debut 16 years ago in a National Lampoon movie (SENIOR TRIP).

Renner already has these on his plate:

Hawkeye in THE AVENGERS

Hansel in HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS (I think they just wrapped shooting)

He's groomed to replace Tom Cruise after Cruise completes MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL (if the film does well enough to do a 5th film, Renner will be the new lead)

ShaOW!linDude

All he needs to do now is secure a role as either Ronald McDonald or the Burger King and he'll have a lock on the franchises.

blue_skies
Have you ever seen S.W.A.T. starring Colin Farrell, Samuel Jackson, LL Cool Jay, Michelle Rodriguez, Olivier Martinez?

http://www.amazon.com/S-W-Widescreen-Special-Samuel-Jackson/dp/B00008EYA5/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1303514307&sr=1-1

Renner plays Farrell's nemesis.

Good movie. I recommend it.

Yes I have seen SWAT and was immensely disappointed with it. I can't honestly remember the bad guy, he made little or no impression on me at the time. I guess over the coming years he will become a household name but for now I wouldn't even recognise him if I was walking down the street and he stopped me to ask the time.

With regards to Matt Damon I wonder if he will ever return to the role. I'm pretty sure it was a few years ago he was commenting about how he struggled physically with the role and that was when he was younger.

With regards to Matt Damon I wonder if he will ever return to the role. I'm pretty sure it was a few years ago he was commenting about how he struggled physically with the role and that was when he was younger.

I think when I read about Renner being offered the lead role, should the movie do well, they would possibly invite Damon to return as Bourne in another installment.

Update: Jeremy Renner has revealed his character's name...

We know that Tony Gilroy's "The Bourne Legacy" won't feature Matt Damon's Jason Bourne character, instead the leading man of the piece will be Jeremy Renner's character.

Today though we have a name for him, albeit only one of several he uses in the film. Renner tells Empire that "My character is called Aaron Cross, but he ends up having a bunch of different names. For fans of the franchise, [The Bourne Legacy] has that same ticking clock, but it's a new program and new characters."

Asked if it's still a part of the franchise even without Damon, Renner says "Yeah, it's that same deal, it's just a new set of agents with a different leash. It's the same tempo and pace but more expansive and bigger. The differences are pretty vast but you'll know it's a Bourne movie."

The next chapter in the Bourne saga is scheduled for release on August 3rd.

At least its not following the story of Van Lustbader's book which is terrible....he kills off a bunch of important characters from Ludlum's original trilogy of books without it seeming to register with the Bourne character....who is suddenly younger than in Ultimatum, where a major plot point is that he has just hit 50 years old!!

As for some people not liking the original novels, its understandable, if you have seen the movies first (as apart from the name Jason Bourne and amnesia) they have very little in common. Even the character of Marie is a Canadian economist, not some German Gypsy, and doesnt die until Van Lustbader's 2 crappy Bourne book!!

By the end of the Identity he no longer has amnesia anyway...but is schizophrenic...one minute David Webb then something happens and he switches to Bourne. Even the way, in the HK set Supremacy, Ludlum writes about these two characters changes is very impressive.

I was lucky that I read the Bourne books in the mid-eighties when I was at school-Ludlum is my favourite author-so I had different expectations to the first movie...which I loved, all three are superb.

As for Legacy I will reserve judgement...I enjoyed Renner in Hurt Locker so I will give him the benefit of doubt.

Archived