Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011)

AlbertV

I have to agree with the negative reviews of this movie. I just couldn't get into this movie and one of the reasons was, as stated by others, the overused bad CGI. The action seemed lackluster and unoriginal. The wirework was terrible especially suring the sandstorm scene. I think the director could've cut out 20 mins from this movie to make the pacing better. It seemed very slow at times and confusing as what was going on. I had high hopes for this film because it was Tsui hark and Jet Li but what a let down. It simply wasn't a good movie. I am glad to see that he shot it in full 3D as opposed to converting it after the fact. At least he got that right!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this movie and it perhaps had the best use of 3D I've ever seen not that I've seen that many though as I only own about 10 3D blu-rays.

Isn't this the story Hark wanted to make 20yrs ago with Jet and Michelle Yeoh, that ended being remade with Tony Leung and Briggette Lin?

masterofoneinchpunch

I went into this film avoiding all the reviews and comments on the movie. So part way through it I thought wait this is similar to the plot of Dragon Inn :). While I have not seen the King Hu version, I liked the 1992 Raymond Lee directed release (I have the Tai Seng DVD). Anyone have any idea on how much Tsui helped or interfered with the directing duties on the 92 version?

I read that Tsui Hark wanted to get Donnie Yen to act into the new release, but Donnie turned it down.

Personally while I was somewhat uninterested by the films storyline, I was not put off as many by the special effects. Though I thought overall it was a step down from Detective Dee, but it is nowhere near his worst film (I think my least favorite is The Legend of Zu (2001)).

TheGrimReaper

Here is mine point of view over this movie - sadly is a negative one, but you might find some positive notes in there :)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17909

And I've noticed that recently martial arts movies came up with some really bad films, whether filled with big stars or some newcomers as well.

It's making me watch all those old school movies numerous times, instead of hurting my brain with such low quality entertainment.

Greetings

Thank goodness for Netflix, cause if I would have bought this just to watch it then I would have written Tsui Hark a letter asking for my money back. Though, I am watching a horrible dubbed version; it can`t make the movie already worse than it is. CGI is amazing; if it was 1995; and if it was a tv show. Everything in this movie was CGI; even Jet Li. And, speaking of Jet, was he even in this movie? What is the point of having Jet in your film if he has maybe 20 minutes screen time? Wait, I know - to help sell a turd such as this. Not to be 100% negative - at least the girls were pretty to look at.

Archived