Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011)

AlbertV

One Armed Boxer

New trailer has just been released, interestingly Hark doesn't seem to be marketing this from the Jet Li angle at all....it looks like it's all about the spectacle, not sure if I'm sold or not yet.

NszZbGuFcYY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
Saw the trailer a few days orso ago. All OTT 3D and poor CGI. Not impressed nor excited AT ALL.

I second that motion.

Still looks dodgy! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

I thought so too. Still, I like Tsui Hark so I'll probably see the film regardless.

Just saw this film and this is my review.

First, I did not watch with english subs, so I cannot give an accurate review of the story.

Story

-I feel that the story is straightforward and simple. I don't think the story was great, but I think it was good, very good, or good enough to enjoy. You won't be feeling attached to the characters or cry for them. Not strong character development here.

Fighting.

-AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's just so much freaking fighting. Swords are literallying flying everywhere! I would say it's fair to say this movie stepped it up in the martial arts world. Ya can't help but wonder if anybody died in this film. Plenty of crazy fighting and awesome flips and flyings. For those of you who fear this may be a film with little fighting..stop worrying. So much fighting..it's just great...makes me wanna cry. This is an example of what a martial arts film should be.

Other

-The film had an old style..especially with music and words on screen. Looks corny at first and I don't like older films too much, but this film is definitely awesome.

I felt 2011 was a crappy year for martial arts film and I haven't been posting that much at all and sometimes haven't been on this site for more than a minute the last few months, but I had to post this. It's a really great film fighting wise. I'm glad that I didn't end the year with no good martial arts film. Well, I think yamada came out in 2011? But since then, it's been very bad. Donnie Yen film sucked so bad this year.

Anyways, check it out!!!

Man, Tsui Hark is one of my favorite directors, so it's great to hear this movie is chalk full of action too. Anybody heard any news about an international theatrical release for this? I want to see this in the theater in 3D!

Saw it as you did I imagine. Didn't see anything amazing in it. Bad cgi and bad wirework. They really have gone downhill as far as wirework goes. It was so much better done in the 80s and 90s. Reign Of Assassins had fantastic wirework. This was not good. It wasn"t even impressive from a wu xia style action standpoint. Lots of sword movement and swinging that didn't feel like anything. TH was making this to interject the 3-d element but that doesn't make it good. I can remember all of the action from '92s Dragon Inn as I type and none of it from this.

The minute I saw the 3D tag on this remake, it fell off my radar.... Sorry 3D was fun in the 70's - 80's but these days its just another trend that does nothing positive for cinema. And from the reviews I have been reading I am glad I stayed clear of this one. :wink:

Originally Posted by BaronK

Didn't see anything amazing in it. Bad cgi and bad wirework. They really have gone downhill as far as wirework goes.

Yikes, I beg to differ! Saw an unfortunately unsubbed print of this last weekend on a huge screen in a provincial Chinese theatre and thought it to be a visually quite dazzling experience and a far more satisfying one than Tsui's somewhat overrated DETECTIVE DEE.

3 D effects were for the most part interestingly incorporate and added another dimension to the film, didn’t mind the CG work all that much either, at least not until the last third of the movie. Thought it went downhill and lost steam once the giant sandstorm and some silly aerial fighting ushered in the last act, but the first 60, 70minutes and the wonderful cast alone were worth the price of admission.

And yes, there’s lots of intricately staged and beautifully lensed sword swirling for sure, albeit of a pretty gore-less variety, so its far more of a, er… family-friendly viewing experience than, say, SEVEN SWORDS. Therefore the film’s ballistic Mainland box office doesn’t come as a surprise (right now FLYING SWORDS clocks in second after Zhang Yimou’s contrived and somewhat underwhelming FLOWERS OF WAR.) Will definitely bang on the “order” button the minute this emerges on BD !

phoenix_darshan

I watched it yesterday with high hopes of another epic movie that would have me riveted to my seat. First of all I like the first remake with donnie yen even though there were many flaws such as people running faster back to the inn than troops riding on horses. The main problme of this movie is for me the CGI, Dont get me wrong I dont oppose CGI per se, for example to create a huge sandstorm woudl be an impossible feat without computer generated images, but if doen it should be done properly and should not jar (red cliff had the same downfall). while the imagery is stunning, costumes and scenery match in beauty, the characterisation of main actors/actresses falls victim to messy sword swirling fights where you hardly see anything ,lots of daggger throwing, all in close-ups (im not into old school long shot 10 min takes but id like to see a few moves properly). after 2 hrs of reasonable plot (even though some scenes do not contribute to story at all) I didnt have the feeling to identify with any of the characters, apart from getting annoyed that so many get stabbed but seem to be just fine after a couple of minutes. Come on Tsui let at least someone die a young death. Year after year I am waiting for another epic movie like crouching tiger and hidden dragon that focuses on the story and not the ambition to use the most moern technology for no purpose. CTHD did not need it as the characters and plot was enough to hook audiences, and they used CGI but very subtly (eg when the fo throws the dagger to kill the officer/policeman). Th elowest poin tin flying swords was the fight in the sandstorm that resembled a fuzzy old school TV image, what is the point if you cannot see anything and its draggin on and on.

I watched it in one go, but it wont make it into my top 20 at all. Seven swords was really poor in regards to character development too and poor CGI, I remember. Detective Dee had some atrocious CGI especially towards the end with the slo mo, slo shutter speed sort of effect, so unnecessary.

watch it and form your own opinion, but do not have high expectation.

The main problem of this movie is for me the CGI

I completely agree, from the outset I found the CGI to be underdeveloped, crude and off-putting and im not opposed to CGI either if done well or appropriately.

YesAsia has updated its listing; the 3D version doesn't include the 2D version.

I just saw the 2D version and really enjoyed it. Sure, there was some bad CGI (generally characters leaping in the background) but overall it was a great wuxia.

Elemental Fist
The minute I saw the 3D tag on this remake, it fell off my radar.... Sorry 3D was fun in the 70's - 80's but these days its just another trend that does nothing positive for cinema. And from the reviews I have been reading I am glad I stayed clear of this one. :wink:

What reviews have you actually read? Most of the reviews I've read were quite positive:neutral:

Has anyone with the 2D+3D BR had success getting the special features to play? I can only get the commentary to play, the making-of, etc. do not.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Grabbed this on blu ray when I was in HK a month ago and finally gave it a watch. I didn't really read about it and I don't think I saw the trailer either, so I didn't have any expectations...I have to say, as far as I'm concern, this Tsui Hark worst film to date. It's not only that there is an overuse of CGI, but that the CGI is bad... Really bad and dated. Martial arts choreography is virtually inexistant and so is any redeeming quality to this mess. Seriously, give yourself a favor and pass this. It makes Storm Warriors look like a masterpiece. Ok maybe not that much but it's bad.

Martial arts choreography is virtually inexistant and so is any redeeming quality to this mess.
Sorry you didn't like it; I really enjoy it as a wuxia film, not a MA film.

Archived