Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011)

AlbertV

Tsui Hark recently began shooting his new film FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE, using 3-D technology. He is NOT shooting the film then reverting it, but shooting the film entirely in 3-D. Jet Li stars in the film, which is a remake of King Hu's 1967 film DRAGON GATE INN. Tsui remade the film in 1993 as DRAGON INN with Brigitte Lin, Maggie Cheung, and Donnie Yen as the villain.

In the new film, Li plays a Ming Dynasty general battling a power-hungry eunuch played by Chen Kun. Their contest comes to a head at an inn run by actress Zhou Xun.

These photos have Tsui and Jet Li on the set

flying_swords_of_dragon_gat.jpg

flying+swords+of+dragon+gate+announce.jpg

FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE is scheduled for Christmas 2011.

Source: Twitch

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i found the 1993 version ok until the fights and the original was too slow as i can remember...i wanna rewatch the original tho....i wasnt too into the classic swordplay films back then, but maybe a 2nd go around ill like it more...

My first reaction is why? The story is already done - twice! And both times done well. Are there really no more stories left to tell in wuxia/fu movies? I'm guessing this will feature lots of CGI and little in the way of real choreography, much like the recent 14 Blades.

Has it really only been remade the one time in '92? It seems to me that I have seen at least one other version somewhere along the line... was there a TV adaption or something?

I'm interested in seeing this... although the 3D will probably give me a headache.

Tsui Hark made some fantastic films back in the day, has he made anything of note in recent years as a director?

I thought very little of the Donnie Yen version to put it nicely. As Kaleyoy said it will probably feature lots of CGI, chock full of wirework and to be completely honest I've got no interest whatsoever in 3D movies. So unless people are raving about it in will be a long time before I eventually watch it, assuming it's released on DVD in 2D.

I must admit I'm already sick of CGI in martial-arts movies giving cheap effects for something once upon a time stars of these movies/Stunt men would do for real. Or awful looking CGI blood used when cheap practical effects have been used in low-budget movies for decades, looks so much better.

Is there anything more awesome than a bolt of fabric flying through the forest? That's what I immediately think of when I think '90s Tsui Hark!

My first reaction is why? The story is already done - twice! And both times done well. Are there really no more stories left to tell in wuxia/fu movies?.

QFT. They don't necessarily have to be off the wall Yuen Clan type stuff either.

First one is an absolute classic, not a big fan of Tsui's KF movies, but his version is worth seeing for Brigitte Lin and Maggie Cheung alone.

But why would you remake your own remake of a remake:neutral: whatever:angel:

^That may be one to many remakes in there, whatever:angel:

I seen the remake with Donnie Yen and from what I remember I wasn't to impressed with the film either. But now I'm going to have to go back and revisit it again.

I recently rewatched New DragonGate Inn, still abit of a mess,and alil annoying,altho i love Brigitte lin and Donnie,the fights are still rather cool but yeeeeaah...see how this new one is,no use in whinging since its being made.

I actually love the remake (it's also one of my wife's favourite films) and, seeing what I've seen of "Detective Dee," I'm actually one of the few that's excited for this.

I saw Dragon Inn 92 very recently. I used to bash the movie alot but now I think it's actually pretty good. The whole thing with the sneaky assaults in the Inn was like a cat-and-mouse game which was neat and overall the movie's also one of few wuxia movies of its' time that isn't overly exaggerated. The two last fight scenes (minus the silliness in the last bit of Donnie's fight) are already classics to me.

I saw Dragon Inn 92 very recently. I used to bash the movie alot but now I think it's actually pretty good. The whole thing with the sneaky assaults in the Inn was like a cat-and-mouse game which was neat and overall the movie's also one of few wuxia movies of its' time that isn't overly exaggerated. The two last fight scenes (minus the silliness in the last bit of Donnie's fight) are already classics to me.

I thought the skeleton fight was hilarious in a so-bad-it's-good way.

Archived