Detective Trio starring Jackie Chan, Sylvester Stallone....& Whoopi Goldberg!?

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Hi guys

I was in my local DVD rental store in Tokyo today browsing the comedy section, when I stumbled across something I never expected to see...a movie which is billed as starring Sylvester Stallone, Whoopi Goldberg, &....Jackie Chan!?

The title is `Detective Trio`....does anyone have any information on this movie because it`s existence seems to have completely passed me by! At first I thought it must be some bizarre mish-mash of different movies, but there is a photo on the back of the DVD case of the 3 of them standing together which looks like the real deal, no photoshop trickery!

I`ve attached a couple of pics of the case that I took, sorry that they`re poor quality, I only had my cell phone with me so they`re taken with the inbuilt camera...

post-203-144191888214_thumb.jpg

post-203-144191888215_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Tigerstyles is correct. You don't want this. It was a comedy about the movie business in Hollywood and the main star is Ryan O'Neal. It does have it's funny moments in a couple of places. But Sly, Whoopi, and Jackie only make 2 or 3 cameos apiece. THIS IS NOT AN ACTION MOVIE!!!

The true title is "Burn, Hollywood, Burn: an Alan Smithee film"

The name of Alan Smithee is a pseudonym used by a director who does not wish to have his true name attached to the film usually due to creative differences with the studio and the use of their authority to have the film done their way no matter what.

For the record, Chan's cameo's aren't too bad. He pokes fun at himself playing an obnoxious action star concerned only with himself and his screen time and his paycheck.

One Armed Boxer

Aaah I see....so it's just the Japanese distributor trying to cash in on the popularity of Chan, Stallone, & Wh....ok maybe not that last one.

Strange we get so used to slamming DVD companies in the west for often trying to cash in on a movie by featuring a star who's barely in it (the way the Panna Rittikrai movies of old that have been released spring to mind, which have Tony Jaa's image plastered all over them), it came as a surprise to me to see it also being done over here in the East as well!

It is interesting to find out that Stallone & Chan have actually shared screen time together though, a few people have mentioned in 'The Expendables' thread that it would have been great if they could see the pair of them onscreen together, I guess hardly anyone is aware of this movie, no matter what title it goes under!

Burn Hollywood burn was a truley dreadful film. Even with Monty Python Legend Eric Idle who was the main character said how aweful the movie was.

It was so bad that Arthur Hiller, who directed the film, denounced the film when he clashed with screenwriter Joe Esterzhaus(this was the guy who wrote SHOWGIRLS?!)...That was when the MPAA decided that "Alan Smithee" would no longer be allowed to be used for any director credit....true story.

Secret Executioner
It was so bad that Arthur Hiller, who directed the film, denounced the film when he clashed with screenwriter Joe Esterzhaus(this was the guy who wrote SHOWGIRLS?!)...That was when the MPAA decided that "Alan Smithee" would no longer be allowed to be used for any director credit....true story.

And that's how a friend of mine whose name is Alan Smithee lost all hope of having a movie directing carreer. :sad:

Interestingly enough, that was what the movie was about....Idle played a guy named Alan Smithee who did not like the film but couldn't change his name because that was THE name!

Archived