Pray for Death: LBX version on netflix streaming

mpm74

I was very surprised to see this movie in LBX format on netflix. From what I understand, it was pretty rare until now.

Anyone know why it's under the MGM tag? Did they buy the film? I remember it being released by USA in the 1980s.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been a letterbox version floating around for awhile now in trading circles. I've had it since last year.

yeah, it was on MGM Pay TV in full 2.35 . but BEWARE. the US Rated-Version is cut by 4 MINUTES of Action and Violence. sadly the uncut Print only exists on worn out European Tapes, which are often cropped to Fullscreen. the German Print is censored by 1 min, but still 3 mins longer than all US Versions.

a real shame as the MGM Restoration looks and sounds excellent :(

I have the 4:3 uncut version. It's from a greek VHS, with burned-in greek subs. Maybe somebody could do a composite version at some point.

1. Is the netflix version the same cut version as shown on MGM HD?

2. Can you upload the uncut last 20 minutes from the Greek tape? It may not be great quality but seeing the end uncut would be amazing

mpm74:

MGM absorbed the TWE catalog some time back. Just as they did with AIP, Orion, Avco-Embassy, etc. For all we know, they may own the video rights to THUNDERING MANTIS and don't even realize it.

Guest Markgway

Yeah, seems like MGM went on a spree in the 90s buying up cult studio back catalogues.

I'm still waiting on an anamorphic edition of Avengng Force though...

I used to have a Spanish dub of Pray for Death that was uncut.

Naturally the UK tape was cut to shit.

Can you upload the uncut last 20 minutes from the Greek tape? It may not be great quality but seeing the end uncut would be amazing

sory mate, I don't upload movies. I'm happy to trade for it though.

I understand that people who know about this film claim to own or have seen an uncut version, but I've never seen any proof, even on any "tube" sites.

If nobody is willing to upload the full action sequences, can you at least describe the missing footage ?

here are some hints: beating of the Grandpa; Cops killed in Hospital; Assault on Women in Hospital; Innocent Bystander killed in Restaurant Meeting; some Shots in Finale. there's more though. i don't wanna upload the german bits of all the Scenes as they still are missing some snippets

The films is pretty tame by todays "ninja Assassin" standards, so why can't MGM release a unrated LTBX dvd ?

Has anyone seen a CD soundtrack ?

Peggy Abernathy's "Back to the Shadows" is the one and only theme from 100's of films that I actually remember from when I was a kid, till today.

Guest Markgway

The MPAA's standards have changed so much in the last 20 years that most of these 'cut' films from the 80s could be passed uncut now with an R-rating.

When you consider the ridiculously tough time Hard Target got whilst Rambo recently sailed thru with an uncut 'R' you can see the difference time makes.

you are a true bloody hero Tiger.

now if you could only "up" the missing footage from the 110 minute cut of Ong Bak 2, I'll wet my pants :bigsmile:

The MPAA's standards have changed so much in the last 20 years that most of these 'cut' films from the 80s could be passed uncut now with an R-rating.

When you consider the ridiculously tough time Hard Target got whilst Rambo recently sailed thru with an uncut 'R' you can see the difference time makes.

Another perfect example is the horror film THE BURNING. Originally when it was released in 1981, the film was rated R with an entire raft massacre scene practically chopped to bits. When I saw the film on cable a few years back, they said it was rated R and it included the full uncut raft massacre scene where the killer Cropsy used his hedge clippers on five teens in a matter of 45 seconds with Tom Savini doing the FX.

The MPAA standards truly have changed since Jack Valenti retired and later passed away.

Those extra scenes wouldn't make it a better movie. I always questioned who they were marketing these films to. Most of Sho's fans were 12 year-olds, but the films were R rated and contained nudity and excessive gore. And do adult grindhouse ticket buyers enjoy watching hokey scenes with the Kosugi kids beating up bullies and buffoonish mafiosos?

Those sequences belonged in a 3 NINJAS movie, not a ninjitsu version of DEATH WISH.

PRAY is also fairly dull, and I never bought James Booth as a dangerous adversary. Weirdly cool ninja armor though.

Guest Markgway

I wasn't keen on the ninja armour, though it was a bit camp.

I suppose it is odd to have ninja kids material in the same film as a graphic rape and murder; though otherwise it's meant to be deadly serious.

PRAY FOR DEATH was cool back when I was 10, but it just doesn't hold up.

What's up with Sho's '007' credit sequences lol I think he did it with 9 Deaths of the Ninja as well.

"You must forget the past!"

The credit sequences for 9 Deaths of the Ninja has Sho displaying his sword skills around a bevy of women dancing while the opening sequence of Pray for Death has Sho and Kane doing a sword like demo.

So this widescreen version is the censored cut? Damn. Sadly, for a movie with an audience this small, a restoration is probably not happening, so I guess it'll just be lost. Netflix seem to be putting a fair amount of those 80s-90s era DTV and exploitation MA stuff, so it is sort of fun to see Revenge of the Ninja and Kickboxer and Bloodsport sequels if that's your thing ;p.

Archived