Questions about IP MAN prequel

mpm74

Is this movie considered an OFFICIAL prequel and part of Wilson Yip's 2 films? Or more of a standalone?

How did it do in the box office?

Is the film considered a fair budget or low budget?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I know it isn't considered an official prequel but I don't have the answers to the other questions. It seems it was posted up online as "Ip Man 3" and it kind of caught on. The filmmakers from both camps don't recognize it as part of a trilogy though.

What do you mean "official" & "knock-off"... Essentially the same people are behind the prequel & the Donnie films.

Guest Yi-Long

I liked it.

Could have been a classic as it started out great, but halfway through it kinda lost it's magic, but it was enjoyable.

I agree Yi.

What do you mean "official" & "knock-off"... Essentially the same people are behind the prequel & the Donnie films.

Explain. I know some of the actors are... but who else?

I agree Yi.

Explain. I know some of the actors are... but who else?

The producer (Sin Kwok Lam) and action choreographer (Leung Siu Hung) worked on both the prequel, and Ip Man 1 and 2.

There may have been others.

My understanding is that a lot of the same people are involved, but it isn't part of the same continuity as the Donnie Yen movies. Like how Batman Forever and The Dark Knight both star Batman, but aren't part of the same "universe." Or how Tombstone and Wyatt Earp both star the same characters but have no connection to each other.

I grew up on Brucesploitation and I loved THE LEGEND IS BORN - IP MAN. Bring on more (fictional) Ip Man adventures (ala Wong Fei Hung).

Dennis To, the star of The Legend is Born: Ip Man, also appeared in both Ip Man and Ip Man 2. His teacher, the film's producer Checkly Sin Kwok-Lam, is a disciple of Wong Shum Leung, Ip Man's disciple.

Dennis To, the star of The Legend is Born: Ip Man, also appeared in both Ip Man and Ip Man 2. His teacher, the film's producer Checkly Sin Kwok-Lam, is a disciple of Wong Shum Leung, Ip Man's disciple.

he was a villan in both films. The dvd I have has an interesting commentary by herman Yau, Ip Chun, and Checkly Sin Kwok-Lam. Where they discuss some peoples' opinion that Dennis To was to stiff as an actor inthe movie. I thought he was great and I look forward to more films with him in the lead (more Ip Man films please...).

I thought that Dennis To Yu-Hang did a bang-up job in the prequel, both in the acting and martial arts work. I hope this guy gets the chance to do more movies, young guys who both act and perform traditional martial arts are few and far between. I had similiar high hopes for Wu Jing, but he hasn't really found a decent role since Tai Chi Boxer.

I thought that Dennis To Yu-Hang did a bang-up job in the prequel, both in the acting and martial arts work. I hope this guy gets the chance to do more movies, young guys who both act and perform traditional martial arts are few and far between. I had similiar high hopes for Wu Jing, but he hasn't really found a decent role since Tai Chi Boxer.

Wu Jing is working on big budget productions so his chance isn't completely burnt yet. As for Dennis To, i agree. He's okay screen fighter with decent acting.

Wu Jing is working on big budget productions so his chance isn't completely burnt yet. As for Dennis To, i agree. He's okay screen fighter with decent acting.

Yes, Wu Jing has the new shaolin movie coming up. I hope it's great, and also hope it reinvigorates his career. He needs to break away from action director Nicky Li. I've never been a fan of his work, and he's failed to get the best from Wu Jing in all their movies together. I'd love to see him work with someone like Yuen Woo Ping again, someone who understands kinetic movement and knows how to get the best from his performers.

Sin Kwok Lam is disciple of Ip Chun & Lau Kar Leung. Several of SKLs students worked on these movies advising & choreographing.

I totally agree with you here Kaleyboy !!

I didn't expect it to be as good as it is at all after reading some reviews ( other places) that basically worship the Donnie vesions & trash this one ..!

I think the fighting was well performed & thigthly filmed ..The fantasy mixed in fine with facts without taking over ..I liked all the main characters & the actors playing them ..Great to see Yuen Biao & Sammo as always..

& I definetly liked the "traitor with a twist approch " ! As he was Japanese he was off cours loyal & not a traitor at all..The deseption used is completely approperiate & acceptable in a Samurai setting in "warfare " !

& it is a treat to see Ip Man's oldest son Ip Chun perform as the old store owner Leung Bik !

f_02ipChun.jpg&t=1

I think that is just COOL !

Xiexie, Athena..♥

This was actually a pretty good movie and way better than I expected it to be, especially considering the standard IP Man set. The story was great and was generally well cast. I think the story itself was more entertaining than some of the fights which unfortunately went a little overboard with the wires.

Archived