Dragon Dynasty's Disciples of 36th Chamber Box Art

mpm74

When I think about it, DD has released more movies with Gordon Liu, thankfully we've gotten classics like Come Drink with Me, One Armed Swordsman, and King Boxer.

Thankfully all the Gordon Liu films they have released have been complete classics!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

December 7 is the release date, but you never know when these movies will actually be released. Hopefully we will get this in the next 2 to 9 months:tongue:

thelastweaponmaster

Bey's return to DD to provide audio commentaries appears to be shortlived. Per Bey, his return is limited to that for 'Disciples of 36th Chamber'. DD doesn't appear to want any further audio commentaries/extras.

A pity as Bey's commentaries or the interviews with stars/directors were major reasons why I bought the DD dvds or upgrade from the IVL releases. Going barebones makes the decision to buy their dvds more difficult to justify.

We need another dvd label to succeed Hong Kong Legends and Dragon Dynasty to give these movies the care and affection that they deserve.

I guess before I start a new thread, I'll ask in this one. Is there any major complaints against Dragon Dynasty's Return to the 36th Chamber dvd?

I guess before I start a new thread, I'll ask in this one. Is there any major complaints against Dragon Dynasty's Return to the 36th Chamber dvd?

Not by me. Looked and sounded great. No extras of course.

Thanks. So it's definitely subtitles not dubtitles?

I have heard they are genuine subtitles. I think some people gripe about how accurate they are, though. There was a thread about this movie somewhere...

Here, from Running Man:

Seems it's been proof-read but not actually retranslated. Shame because this movie really needed it since the Celestial subs were pretty bad and didn't cover the humor well.

kungfusamurai

Wow, Dragon Dynasty is actually putting in extra effort for this one?! I hate to find out what they've messed up. My impression is that if they spend more than a total of one hour designing the cover and creating the disc's menus and features, that's way too much time for them.

KFS

kungfusamurai
it will be the wrong language. ie 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. (where's the original Cantonese track?!?)

LOL, yeah, this time it'll be Thai with english subs.

KFS

I have heard they are genuine subtitles. I think some people gripe about how accurate they are, though. There was a thread about this movie somewhere...

I did a search and turned up nothing.

Here, from Running Man:

Argh now you have me really doubting it. He is pretty picky so I generally trust what he has to say about things. So basically it's not totally perfect but it's not exactly dubtitles. Why can't they do anything right?

Argh now you have me really doubting it. He is pretty picky so I generally trust what he has to say about things. So basically it's not totally perfect but it's not exactly dubtitles. Why can't they do anything right?

Correct, just a slightly cleaned up version of the old celestial subs. Someone else gave examples of the subs on that thread (page 2): http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10224&highlight=return+36th+chamber

As far as them not doing anything right.... I can't answer that one.

Correct, just a slightly cleaned up version of the old celestial subs. Someone else gave examples of the subs on that thread (page 2): http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10224&highlight=return+36th+chamber

Thanks for that link. Just a quick read of that thread and it tells me that it's not a bad disc but could be better. Again, at least they aren't dubtitles either. I guess it's good enough the original audio track is on there (mono too) as well as the original english dub which is always a welcome addition.

I was somewhat disappointed with this. While I liked the film, it had an incredible amount of kung fu talent in it and so few fights! Great film but it did not live up to it's potential.

Ha, will Dragon Dynasty ever learn?

I could forgive them for a DVD-5 but to include the wrong audio track again? Is it at least subtitles or did they go with dubtitles? They sure make it difficult to want to support them.

I was somewhat disappointed with this. While I liked the film, it had an incredible amount of kung fu talent in it and so few fights! Great film but it did not live up to it's potential.

The way the story played out didn't seem to afford many fight opportunities. Not making excuses, just something to point out. I like it as it is, except maybe could have more of San Tak showing his superiority over Fong Sai Yuk (or is it San De and Fang Shih Yu, considering the Mandarin track?). Was a bit jarring seeing so many people transplanted from Chang Cheh's units, especially Venoms like Wang Li and Sun Chien.

Kennedy Il Sung

I finally watched this after having the disc for a couple of weeks and it was really enjoyable, though it didn't feel like it should be connected with 36th Chamber and Return to the 36th Chamber. I enjoyed the opening where it basically summed up the Fong Sai Yuk story up until when the movie begins, it was also nice to see the commentary return (don't know why this is supposedly Bey's last commentary track for DD). But overall I'm happy to have this in my collection an will try to watch the three films together one day.

Archived