The Outrage Trilogy (2010/2012/2017)

OpiumKungFuCracker

@Vegeta84: No way Bro there has to be a 3rd. film, yes he did get the Guy who manipulated everything but the Heads of the Families still want him Dead. So there has to be another movie, He will always be a threat to them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Takuma said:

Outrage: Final Chapter

I didn't even know a 3rd film was coming...

Teaser:

Out Oct. 7, 2017

Hot damn! 

I'm a huge fan of this series.  "Straight" yakuza films have become a rarity these days.  Most of the yakuza films that are made today include over the top scenarios, related to manga/anime adaptations, or star "pretty" boys.  This series harks back to an era that many consider over. Either way, I loved the first two and hoping Magnolia picks the rights to this film to release it in the US.  Plus, Kitano directing Ohsugi again? Count me in! 

Takuma, is this something you will see in theaters? 

Kitano did mention a possibility of a third film, but that was around the time the second one had been announced, or released.

Ōsugi Ren's in it? And Hakuryu, too. Those two are always great under Kitano's direction.

17 hours ago, Vegeta84 said:

Hot damn! 

I'm a huge fan of this series.  "Straight" yakuza films have become a rarity these days.  Most of the yakuza films that are made today include over the top scenarios, related to manga/anime adaptations, or star "pretty" boys.  This series harks back to an era that many consider over. Either way, I loved the first two and hoping Magnolia picks the rights to this film to release it in the US.  Plus, Kitano directing Ohsugi again? Count me in! 

Takuma, is this something you will see in theaters? 

I don't necessarily love the series, but I do relate with what you just said. I don't think the Outrage films compare to the 70s yakuza films, or Kitano's own 90s masterpieces, but in the year 2017 we can be happy we have at least these. Almost everything else is much worse.

If I'm here when it comes out, yeah, I'll probably see it in theatre.

On 7/14/2017 at 8:43 AM, Takuma said:

Full trailer:

God damn, does this one look good.  Hoping Magnolia releases this in the states like they did the first two.  I've emailed them asking if they are interested in releasing this, but haven't gotten a response. 

Really curious how this one will end.  Will Otomo be the last one standing, or will he go down in a hail of bullets. 

So, I contacted Celluloid Dreams which is handling sales of this film to the international market, and nobody has bought the rights in the US yet, which is a shame, since I assumed Magnolia would finish the trilogy. However, it doesn't hurt to contact Magnolia to show that there is interest in the film. 

Please contact them to show interest, and their e-mail is acquisitions@magpictures.com.  Lets get this film out!

I didn't see the film in theatre, but caught it during a flight...

Outrage: Final Chapter (Japan, 2017) [Flight] - 3/5

Stylish but incredibly convoluted yakuza film is probably the best Kitano can do these days. Writer/director/actor Kitano has made himself play second fiddle in his own movie, with the main focus being on an extremely complex series of secret alliances, double crossings and double crossings that are planned don't have time to happen because someone else already double crossed someone, most of which have little to do with Kitano's character. Kitano's tough guy charisma still works, however, and there are moments of violence that drop the jaw. The human depth of his 90s masterpieces is long gone, as are the magical Joe Hisaishi scores, replaced by too much talking (and yelling) but at least this is a somewhat decent yakuza film with proper production values, unlike the garbage other Japanese filmmakers are putting out these days.

On 9/18/2017 at 4:41 PM, mpm74 said:

Just posted a review for OUTRAGE 3. Check it out while it's still live... 

http://cityonfire.com/outrage-coda-aka-outrage-final-chapter-2017-review-beat-takeshi/

As for this review, it's otherwise good but I don't know why the writer saw the need to give away the film's ending. So, if you haven't seen the movie, do not read the review!

5 hours ago, Takuma said:

I didn't see the film in theatre, but caught it during a flight...

Outrage: Final Chapter (Japan, 2017) [Flight] - 3/5

Stylish but incredibly convoluted yakuza film is probably the best Kitano can do these days. Writer/director/actor Kitano has made himself play second fiddle in his own movie, with the main focus being on an extremely complex series of secret alliances, double crossings and double crossings that are planned don't have time to happen because someone else already double crossed someone, most of which have little to do with Kitano's character. Kitano's tough guy charisma still works, however, and there are moments of violence that drop the jaw. The human depth of his 90s masterpieces is long gone, as are the magical Joe Hisaishi scores, replaced by too much talking (and yelling) but at least this is a somewhat decent yakuza film with proper production values, unlike the garbage other Japanese filmmakers are putting out these days.

As for this review, it's otherwise good but I don't know why the writer saw the need to give away the film's ending. So, if you haven't seen the movie, do not read the review!

PM sent. 

So this just came out on Blu-ray in the US.  Top notch release and a top notch film.  There is a making of that runs for about an hour and the picture quality is great.  All three films have had great transfers. 

Sad to see this series end, as the Yakuza genre is slowly fading away from Japanese cinema.  I really enjoyed this and brings back memories of the Fukasaku films.  Betrayal after betrayal mixed in with a few murders.  I loved this series overall, and I doubt we'll ever see another Yakuza film done by Kitano.  If you enjoyed the first two films, check this out!

Archived