The Outrage Trilogy (2010/2012/2017)

OpiumKungFuCracker

my brief comments:

Outrage Beyond (Japan, 2012) – 3.5/5

Kitano’s sequel to his mean and lean yakuza film invests more on plotting and talk. Quality wise it’s a notch below the original, but still a solid genre effort. Though, like its predecessor, Outrage Beyond should not be compared to Kitano’s masterful 1990’s films – the new Kitano is a straight forwards mix of nasty violence, laconic humor, and crime politics, wrapped in a stylish package and making more money at the box office that ever before.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
my brief comments:

Outrage Beyond (Japan, 2012) – 3.5/5

Kitano’s sequel to his mean and lean yakuza film invests more on plotting and talk. Quality wise it’s a notch below the original, but still a solid genre effort. Though, like its predecessor, Outrage Beyond should not be compared to Kitano’s masterful 1990’s films – the new Kitano is a straight forwards mix of nasty violence, laconic humor, and crime politics, wrapped in a stylish package and making more money at the box office that ever before.

Okay, that sounds decent.

I actually watched the original OUTRAGE a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it. It's filled with "Oh shit!" moments where people do and say things that you just know are going to end with someone screaming in pain. :crossedlips: Solid story, great acting, impressive looking production, and shocking violence. The R1 DVD has some cool extras on it too. Recommended. 8/10

jJust saw this last night. I liked it. Not as good as the first one, but still pretty good. Lots of kills and retains most of the flavor of the first one at well. Nice seeing Otomo kicking some ass. A very unexpected/abrupt ending, but I liked it. They could easily make a third film, but the way it ended, it's also a fitting ending for the saga. Either way, thumbs up.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Would like to see what others thought of it as well.

So I watched Outrage Beyond for a second time. I honestly can't remember when I watched a film twice within such a short amount of time. I actually liked it even more than the first time through.

Still, not as good as the first film, but man it's a quality production. Not as violent as you would imagine, but I'm surprised that doesn't bother me. Really enjoyed the small role of the dude from all the Godzilla movies as well all the returning parties from the first film.

Kitano has slowly begun to redeem himself. I doubt he'll ever make a film as great as Sonatine again, but that doesn't mean he won't make good films.

This film has one of the best unlikely villains ever and such an unpredictable, but fucking awesome ending, that I honestly think it's the best film of 2013 for me so far. (Technically it was released in 2012, but whatever)

Oh, I'm not sure I should say anything, but lets just say that this is going to be released in the states next year. :crossedlips:

So does the Japanese release have English subs? I doubt my Japanese could get me through the entire film without them.

It's cheaper on cdjapan but liberated and free on ADC.

I think it was less than two weeks ago when we discussed that it doesn't make sense for Japanese companies to invest on English subs on their discs, because even if they did, people would just bootleg or torrent them :tongue:

OpiumKungFuCracker

Wow that ending was just badass!!!! Can I just say that Takashi Miike has been on a roll??? Outrage Beyond is my new favorite film 2013!!!

Wow that ending was just badass!!!! Can I just say that Takashi Miike has been on a roll??? Outrage Beyond is my new favorite film 2013!!!

You mean Takashi Kitano right? :tongue:

Otherwise I agree with you. My favorite Japanese film in awhile and the ending was brilliant.

OpiumKungFuCracker
You mean Takeshi Kitano, right? :tongue:

Wow I am an idiot, lol.... Yes Kitano!!!

One Armed Boxer

I just got through watching 'Outrage Beyond' last night, and have to agree with everyone else that this is a solid follow-up to the original. The violence that so strongly punctuates the first movie takes a step down in this, indeed there aren't really any of the "did that just happen!?" moments of action in this one, with Tikano instead letting things unfold through dialogue for the most part.

But the important thing is it's angry yakuza dialogue, so it completely works, and the plot unfolds nicely with Otomo's rise from the ashes delivered in a completely plausible and effective way. Kitano's humor is also spot on in this one, and the ending....yes, that ending, as soon as the credits popped up I actually laughed out loud, definitely very different from my reaction to the ending of the original!

Strongly recommended.

I watched this sequel last night and I thought it was Excellent. Without given away any spoilers there has to be a pt. 3 I cannot see Kitano leaving off the way this movie ends.

Beyond-Outrage-Website.jpg

It lived up to the first one for sure. I do remember Kitano saying the studio already wanted him to make a part 3 after the success of Outrage.

I agree, it's a great film. A really great film at that.

I also agree, that I would love a third film, however it really isn't needed. SPOILERS below.

The main villain of both films was Kataoka. It was his greed that started everything and led to all the deaths in both films.

The ending to this film is perfect as Otomo had enough and killed him right out the blue. Who else would he go after? He got the guy who manipulated everyone. It was the pefecting ending to the series so I'm not sure why you felt the ending would need to lead to another film when in fact it had more closure than you might have expected.

Either, way I still want a third film :nerd:

sifu iron perm

i had no luck watching this movie, i loved the first one and a huge fan of Beat. But i had no luck at all when trying to watch it etc..so im waiting for the reg 2 dvd.

Wheat Thin Man

Like everyone else, I thought the movie was excellent. Everyone played their part perfect and the direction and cinematography was equally well done.

Archived