The Outrage Trilogy (2010/2012/2017)

OpiumKungFuCracker

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i felt Outrage was a homage to those flicks.

I wouldn't use the word "homage". Sonatine, for example, is a very beautiful film which, despite its violence, has a certain humanist undertone. Like Hana-bi, Sonatine is all about life (though many of the characters are tired of it), with violent outbursts setting ends to some people's lives. It's like nature and blooming flowers. It's directed by a man who enjoys the beauty of the world, but is also that much of a pessimist (with wicked sense of dark humor) to acknowledge it will probably come to an abrupt end before soon, especially if you're a yakuza. Flowers and fireworks are indeed an excellent metaphor in these movies.

Outrage on the other hand, is an outburst of pessimism and black humor. In this film nature and beauty do not exists - there are only guys in black suits driving black cars and killing each other left and right. Unlike the old Kitano characters who existed to live and die, these guys only exist to kill and be killed. It's a film best labeled as "violence movie" and, to some extent, a parody of yakuza movies and Kitano's own old films. As such, I must say its a very stylish and "bad-ass" effort, though I would not expect Mark to like it as he generally dislikes "violence movies".

(I'm not commenting on Violent Cop since it's been years since I saw it)

Going a bit off topic, I think Mark would enjoy Kid's Return.

OpiumKungFuCracker

What movie is the one where Kitano and Omar Epps become like blood brothers or something?? It was one of his mainstream movies he did but can't remember the title.. I heard there was a different cut from the movie released in the U.S, no???

Guest Markgway
I wouldn't use the word "homage". Sonatine, for example, is a very beautiful film which, despite its violence, has a certain humanist undertone. Like Hana-bi, Sonatine is all about life (though many of the characters are tired of it), with violent outbursts setting ends to some people's lives.

Good points.

As such, I must say its a very stylish and "bad-ass" effort, though I would not expect Mark to like it as he generally dislikes "violence movies".

I don't like violence for violence's sake (that's not to confuse violent action with violence) and for me with Outrage that's ALL there was. By the time the 100th guy in a suit was slapped and kicked I was pretty much bored. Films don't need to be deep to entertain. But if you're going to pack them with brutal violence they should at least have something interesting to say in return.

Going a bit off topic, I think Mark would enjoy Kid's Return.

I saw that back in the 90s and liked it. Apart from Boiling Point I liked all of Kitano's films until Brother (which is the title Opium KFC is looking for...).

What movie is the one where Kitano and Omar Epps become like blood brothers or something?? It was one of his mainstream movies he did but can't remember the title.. I heard there was a different cut from the movie released in the U.S, no???

Brother.

The UK release is uncut, but I can't recall if it's a different cut. I've heard of a Japanese cut, but I'm not sure if it's out anywhere.

Outrage: Beyond trailer looks good!

Wow, that looks pretty good actually. I was a bit hesistant with Kitano returning, but this looks good. Looks like he made peace with Kimura and they have joined forces. I guess stabbing him the face equaled out with him stabbing him in the side. Also looks like Shun Sugata is in the film. Can't wait to see this.

Will anyone be watching this in Japan?

Who knows when we will be able to watch this and I think I'm going to need spoilers.

Movie looks awesome.

Hopefully it won't take very long to get an English friendly release. Failing it playing elsewhere, the home video release will most likely come with English subtitles.

It may be sometime before we get an english friendly release, and I'm not sure I can wait that long. Hopefully someone on this board lives in Japan and might end up watching it so we can get some spoilers.

Wondering if Otomo will get some revenge on that one dude who betrayed his group.

The Japanese Blu-Ray and DVD releases will most likely feature English subtitles, just like all other Japanese post- Hana-Bi Kitano releases. You could expect it to hit the streets around May-April 2013 (just a good guess).

I may see the film in theater, though it's not a top priority. I don't know why you guys want spoilers prior to seeing the film - or post spoilers that ought to be removed by mods in this thread.

No, I have never heard of a differing "Japanese Cut" of Brother and I'm willing to bet my money such thing does not exist. I have the Japanese DVD (which, as stated above, is subbed in English).

No, I have never heard of a differing "Japanese Cut" of Brother and I'm willing to bet my money such thing does not exist. I have the Japanese DVD (which, as stated above, is subbed in English).

You're right. It doesn't. I had my wires crossed. I was thinking of the Japanese DVD being uncut.

The Japanese Blu-Ray and DVD releases will most likely feature English subtitles, just like all other Japanese post- Hana-Bi Kitano releases. You could expect it to hit the streets around May-April 2013 (just a good guess).

I may see the film in theater, though it's not a top priority. I don't know why you guys want spoilers prior to seeing the film - or post spoilers that ought to be removed by mods in this thread.

I don't have an all-region DVD player so it might be quite some time before I can actually see this and personally don't mind spoilers which is why I asked. I didn't see the first Outrage subtitled until Magnolia released it in the states. If it's a no no to post spoilers on the forum then a private message would work.

Really wish I could see this in Japan.

Saw Outrage last night (not sure why it took so long) on Netflix Instant Watch. I really liked it, lots of good twists and turns. There was a lot of violence and excessive amounts of people being punched in the face, but it kind of made sense in the situations that were occurring. The only parts I could have done without were the Ghanaian diplomat that gets pulled into the schemes. He was a horrendous actor and the entire plotline was one that I felt could have been left out and the movie not affected at all. Mizuno's execution scene was one of the most unique and brutal I've ever seen.

I thought Outrage was ok.. fair to good. Expectations are always high from me based on Kitano's older films. It had violence, but in his very best films there is a sensitivity that seemed absent here, not that kind of story I suppose. I also didn't get as much dark humour in this, maybe that was just me. Still, it successfully portrayed the nihilism, paranoia and had some cool scenes.

So reviews for the film have been pretty good. Most even say it's better than the first. Really hope Magnolia picks up the rights for this.

JP BD & DVD release date: April 12, 2013

No mention of subs so far (a bit surpising since every single Kitano movie since Hana-Bi has had subs on Japanese DVDs and BD's).

I can't wait any longer, I need to see the sequel now!!!!!

Me too. This should get distribution in the United States at some point. Unitl then, I'm going to have to go through other means to watch this.

Most reviews have said it's better than the first film, and I LOVED the first one. Exciting news.

JP BD & DVD release date: April 12, 2013

No mention of subs so far (a bit surpising since every single Kitano movie since Hana-Bi has had subs on Japanese DVDs and BD's).

Correction: some Japanese retailers are now listing English and Japanese subtitles for the DVD and Blu-Ray

Archived