The Man of Steel (2012)

AlbertV

Big news has come out of the horizon involving the upcoming Superman movie. As many have heard, Christopher Nolan will serve as a "mentor" and producer on the film.

The big news today is that Warner Brothers have chosen Zack Snyder (300, WATCHMEN) to direct the new Superman movie.

However, the question remains: Who will play Superman?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

I thought Brandon Routh did a good job in Brian Singer's movie. I say stick with him but recast Lois Lane.

Is it known if this will be a total reboot of the franchise? Are they going to retell the origin......AGAIN?

froffeecoffee
I thought Brandon Routh did a good job in Brian Singer's movie. I say stick with him but recast Lois Lane.

Is it known if this will be a total reboot of the franchise? Are they going to retell the origin......AGAIN?

It'll be a total stand alone story that will take place in its own universe. No origin story, not a sequel, not a sidestory, and not a reboot.

The title will officially be: Superman:The Man of Steel.

Nolan has already stated that since Superman is already established, this film will go right into the story. Plus, he's planning on having a villain that will present a challenge to Superman. My personal guess is Darkseid.

I'm pretty sure a whole new cast will be chosen now that Snyder has been announced. Routh got a bum deal in Superman Returns and yes I agree, Kate Bosworth was not a very good Lois Lane.

ShaOW!linDude

Thank goodness for no origin story. But I was kind of hoping for the Doomsday villain in this one. General Zod has been done. Wish Snyder would use a new character for the film. Ah well.

make believe

No matter who they choose, they won't ever be able to top Christopher Reeve's performance. He is Superman.

No matter who they choose, they won't ever be able to top Christopher Reeve's performance. He is Superman.

Can I get an "Amen" from the choir?

froffeecoffee
I heard Nolan's brother will possibly direct the new Superman movie. I just hope they don't mess it up, because Hollywood has been messing everthing up lately.

Zach Snyder was already hired to direct a couple of months ago. Nolan's brother is writing the script with David Goyer.

It has been confirmed who is the next Superman:

'Tudors' Henry Carvill to play new 'Superman"

Jan. 30, 2011, 12:24 PM EST

"Tudors" regular Henry Cavill has been chosen as the next man of steel, playing the dual roles of Superman and his mortal alter-ego Clark Kent in the upcoming Warner/Legendary co-production of "Supe

The British actor is best known for playing Henry VIII in Showtime's acclaimed period-drama series "The Tudors," but already seemed poised for a feature-film breakout with a starring role in Summit's upcoming action film "The Cold Light of Day," which also features Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver.

He's also set to star in Relativity's fantasy-drama "Immortals" alongside Mickey Rourke later this year.

Cavill has tried to step into a big iconic studio role before, unsuccessfully auditioning for the "Batman" role won by Christian Bale in 2005, and the 007 spot that went to Daniel Craig.

Warner has targeted a Decembrer 2012 release date for its "Superman" reboot. (The studio needs to get moving, since the heirs to Siegel and Shuster's Jerome Siegel begin sharing the the copyright to "Superman" with DC Comics and Warner starting in 2013.)

David S. Goyer is writing the script, based on a story by Goyer and Christopher Nolan, who will produce with Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder. Legendary's Thomas Tull will exec produce the project, which is being targeted for a holiday 2012 release.

Despite grossing $391 million worldwide, Warner's 2006 "Superman Returns," directed by Bryan Singer, was deemed a disappointment -- beyond the fact that the studio spent a whopping $270 million to make the movie.

Simply put, the franchise's core male demographic (aka fanboys) didn't widely accept the casting of Brandon Routh in the lead role.

“In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

“In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen," said Snyder, in a statement. "I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

Below is an image of him with the Superman Costume on:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2dlgr_XhtuMGc7sCToAC0Bi00Y-dgh2PBXkuUBxfi4vB2Do2eU_hk890S

ShaOW!linDude

That's cool. I'm looking forward to Snyder doing this. I don't think I'll be disappointed. (Notice that I'm speaking for myself here.)

Personally I don't think Routh was miscast or not accepted by the fanboys. SUPERMAN RETURNS was good but not great because Supes had no one to go toe to toe with him. Yes, Lex Luthor is expected and integral to a Superman movie. He's a great villain. But for Supes.......he needs someone to lay waste to the cityscape with in a far-out brawl. If that's not going to happen........don't bother.

The animation movie was really good, but a lot of fans hated it, saying it was different than the comic book, I didn't read the comic so I cannot compare them, but if they made this into a live action movie it would have to be either PG-13 or R. But now PG-13 is like what R movies were back in the day!

Guest Yi-Long

I did think Routh was miscast, but I thought the whole movie was awfull and miscast.

Also, for the (horrible) story they tried to tell, with Superman coming back after a long period, Lois being pregnant, etc etc... they (the actors) seemed too young.

They should have just based the screenplay on the excellent origin story by John Byrne (Man of Steel), which, for me, is still the best origin story for Superman.

Guest Yi-Long
I thought Brandon Routh who played Superman was good, kinda looked like a Young Christopher Reeves.

I didn't buy him as Superman for 1 second, and I also didn't buy him as Clark Kent. I thought he was horrible, but I thought the whole movie was horrible.

I think we're better of with the cartoons, and maybe they should just make the next movies completely in CGI so you can stay much closer to the design of the original source, instead of trying to fake it all with mediocre actors, setpieces, costumes, etc etc.

I was disappointed with the storyline in itself, I did like how they had him away on a long journeysearching for his Planet, or what was remaining of it. And you're right I thought most of the cast was miscasted.

It has been confirmed who is the next Superman:

'Tudors' Henry Carvill to play new 'Superman"

Jan. 30, 2011, 12:24 PM EST

"Tudors" regular Henry Cavill has been chosen as the next man of steel, playing the dual roles of Superman and his mortal alter-ego Clark Kent in the upcoming Warner/Legendary co-production of "Supe

The British actor is best known for playing Henry VIII in Showtime's acclaimed period-drama series "The Tudors," but already seemed poised for a feature-film breakout with a starring role in Summit's upcoming action film "The Cold Light of Day," which also features Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver.

He's also set to star in Relativity's fantasy-drama "Immortals" alongside Mickey Rourke later this year.

Cavill has tried to step into a big iconic studio role before, unsuccessfully auditioning for the "Batman" role won by Christian Bale in 2005, and the 007 spot that went to Daniel Craig.

Warner has targeted a Decembrer 2012 release date for its "Superman" reboot. (The studio needs to get moving, since the heirs to Siegel and Shuster's Jerome Siegel begin sharing the the copyright to "Superman" with DC Comics and Warner starting in 2013.)

David S. Goyer is writing the script, based on a story by Goyer and Christopher Nolan, who will produce with Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder. Legendary's Thomas Tull will exec produce the project, which is being targeted for a holiday 2012 release.

Despite grossing $391 million worldwide, Warner's 2006 "Superman Returns," directed by Bryan Singer, was deemed a disappointment -- beyond the fact that the studio spent a whopping $270 million to make the movie.

Simply put, the franchise's core male demographic (aka fanboys) didn't widely accept the casting of Brandon Routh in the lead role.

“In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

“In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen," said Snyder, in a statement. "I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

Below is an image of him with the Superman Costume on:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2dlgr_XhtuMGc7sCToAC0Bi00Y-dgh2PBXkuUBxfi4vB2Do2eU_hk890S

I actually think this is pretty good casting...Cavill was great on The Tudors. It will be quite interesting to see how he plays Superman.

froffeecoffee
I did think Routh was miscast, but I thought the whole movie was awfull and miscast.

Also, for the (horrible) story they tried to tell, with Superman coming back after a long period, Lois being pregnant, etc etc... they (the actors) seemed too young.

They should have just based the screenplay on the excellent origin story by John Byrne (Man of Steel), which, for me, is still the best origin story for Superman.

Indeed, the story was miscalculated, the cast wasn't right, Lex Luthor wasn't very menacing, and all around it was a very underwhelming movie (except for the plane rescue, which was great!).

I didn't buy him as Superman for 1 second, and I also didn't buy him as Clark Kent. I thought he was horrible, but I thought the whole movie was horrible.

You hit the problem right on the head. I remember saying after I left the theater, "For a Superman movie, Superman wasn't in it very much." I liked Routh and believe he was right for the role, but the with so many flaws with the movie itself, he didn't have any chance to shine as Superman.

I actually think this is pretty good casting...Cavill was great on The Tudors. It will be quite interesting to see how he plays Superman.

I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the role too. Never seen any of his other roles, but that'll be a good thing. He'll bring something we've never seen in Superman. Going with unknowns in iconic roles is usually the best route. Christopher Reeve being the prime example.

You head the problem right on the head. I remember saying after I left the theater, "For a Superman movie, Superman wasn't in it very much." I liked Routh and believe he was right for the role, but the with so many flaws with the movie itself, he didn't have any chance to shine as Superman.

froffeecoffee: So here is my question to you, do you think that Routh should've been given another chance to done the Cape? I think so.

froffeecoffee
froffeecoffee: So here is my question to you, do you think that Routh should've been given another chance to done the Cape? I think so.

I think so too, but this going to be an entirely different universe that has no continuity to the previous films. So in that regard a new actor was inevitable.

Much like the various Superman comic series, different artists have different interpretations.

Archived