My Many MiniReviews

ShaOW!linDude

I want to see Blonde Fury and Magic Crystal but those seem impossible to find at any affordable price.)

PM me. I can help you with the former.

Oh, and she looked really good in MARTIAL LAW, with Chad McQueen. She even gets to take on Benny Urquidez.

One Armed Boxer
(So tell me, folks. What Rothrock films do I need to see that properly depicts her talents? China O'Brien 1 & 2? Rage & Honor 1 & 2? Lady Dragon 1 & 2? I want to see Blonde Fury and Magic Crystal but those seem impossible to find at any affordable price.)

'Magic Crystal' is the Rothrock and Richard Norton show all the way. Neither of them have looked better than they do in this movie, so for fights alone I'd concentrate all your efforts on trying to track this one down! It's probably also Andy Lau's best fighting performance.

'Blonde Fury' for me is overrated, it's an ok 80's HK movie, but with a cast which has her paired with Chin Siu Ho going against the likes of Billy Chow and Jeff Falcon, I expected a lot more. Far more preferable is 'Righting Wrongs', which swaps her pairing with Siu Ho to Yuen Biao, and has her throwing down against the likes of Karen Sheperd. She's sometimes amusingly doubled by Biao himself in this, but it doesn't detract from her overall performance.

Don't forget that she was also one half of the movie that kicked off the whole Girls with Guns genre, 'Yes Madam', in which she's paired with Michelle Yeoh, and culminates in a fantastic finale pitting the 2 of them against Dick Wei. Honorable mentions should also go to 'Millionaire's Express' in which she throws down against Sammo, and also for her brief fight against Hwang Jang Lee in 'No Retreat, No Surrender 2: Raging Thunder'.

As for the majority of her American output, don't bother.

As for the majority of her American output, don't bother.

I'd say China O'Brien and Martial Law are here best American films, although China O'Brien 2 is likably goofy.

I'd say China O'Brien and Martial Law are here best American films, although China O'Brien 2 is likably goofy.

I concur with DrNgor on China O'Brien. There is undercranking at times, but the fights still make Rothrock look quite good as the female martial arts version of Walking Tall.

DRAGON FIRE (1993) Running time: 90 mins.

Stars: Dominic LaBanca, Pamela Runo, Dennis Keiffer, Kisu, Harold Hazeldine, Michael Blanks, Randall Ideishi

Fight Coordination: Kisu & The Harmonious Fist

Dir.: Rick Jacobson

Synopsis

Set in the future, Laker Powers (DLB) travels from New World 2 back to Earth, now a slum planet, to visit his brother Johnny (DK) only to learn that he's dead. Johnny was a "junker", a fighter in the underground circuit. The only way to find his brother's killer is to let a streetwise hustler named Slick (Kisu) train Laker and get him into the fight scene.

I say Get This! It's a fun flick with some solid choreography that caps it off with a boss end fight! (Which is something that is often failed to be delivered.)

Great review. This was one of the many Bloodfist clones that Roger Corman recycled in the 90's and one of the better ones IMO.

ShaOW!linDude

I have Millionaire's Express, Righting Wrongs, and Yes, Madam. And I'd forgotten about Martial Law (w/Chad McQueen) and Martial Law 2: Undercover (w/Jeff Wincott). I've seen those, and need to run them down. (The 2nd of which I love and can't find on dvd either!:tinysmile_angry2_t:) And the Tiger Claws trilogy. I have 2 & 3, need to run down the 1st one. Guess I've seen more of her stuff than I remember.:tongue:

I'm a big Richard Norton fan, so I guess I ought to get China O'Brien 1 & 2 and Rage & Honor 1 & 2 at some point. I understand Keith Cooke is really good in the former.

Great review. This was one of the many Bloodfist clones that Roger Corman recycled in the 90's and one of the better ones IMO.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? (The film premise, not the review format.:tongue:)

ShaOW!linDude

Been meaning to get to this one for a while...

KUNG FU ZOMBIE (1981) Running time: 94 mins.

Stars: Billy Chong, Chiang Tao, Kwan Yung-Moon, Cheng Kang-Yeh, Chan Lau, Pak Sha-Lik, Woo Wai, Cheng Kei-Ying, Wong Yu, Lam Gwong-Wing, Sam Yan-Chi, Ji Mei, Yishi Mahashan

Action Director: Tang Tak-Cheung

Dir.: Hua Shan

Synopsis

A criminal hires a Taoist wizard to raise corpses in an effort to get revenge on Fong Pang (BC) who foiled one of his schemes. Of course, this all goes horribly awry. Pang's father is determined to school his son, by any abusive means necessary, to take up his place in the long running feud against the Leng family.On that note, Leng Heet (KY-M) shows up as a reincarnated corpse bent on seeking revenge against Pang's father. Pang defeats him, but the inept Taoist wizard resurrects Heet as a vampire. It all culminates in a showdown at the cemetery involving zombies, ghosts, the undead, and mysticism.

Fight #1 --- Fong Pang (BC) vs fellow students & his father

Good stuff here, but it's hyper-edited and under-cranked like crazy. Still, it's a good demonstration of BC's power and agility. Pang and his father using a table while sparring is pretty neat.

Fight #2 --- Pang vs Lui Lao Tai (CK-Y)

Um...there's some good stuff here, too, but again it's so heavily under-cranked, it's hard to appreciate the choreography. This here makes early Donnie Yen films seem like the action is in slo-mo.

Fight #3 --- Pang vs Leng Heet (KY-M)

Good fight!...again marred with over-extensive editing and under-cranking. Still, the bootwork and exchanges are pretty sweet, especially from BC.

Fight #4 --- End fight

What the devil? This is so off the wall, it's pure insanity! It's full of Taoist mystical antics as much as it is choreography. What fighting there is to be found is absolutely frenetic. The only part I found intriguing is KY-M fighting with both hands and one foot on fire. Other than that, it's a display of quick cut hyper-editing, which induces a migraine that puts you on the verge of experiencing an epileptic seizure akin to the over under-cranked action you're watching.

Okay, I'm going to be honest. A little less than halfway into this, and I started fast-forwarding to the fights...of which there aren't much. Oh, there's lots of action, so to speak, but it's in smatterings that really aren't worth mentioning. The plot is is annoyingly mind-numbing, and filled with what's supposed to be zany, Taoist comedy antics, which are grating to sit through. The special f/x are very cheap and dated, but there are a couple of kills that will make you go, "Did that just really happen?"

BC's Pang is the lazy yet super-kung fu-talented son, interested in doing nothing except fighting. That would be great, if the fights were anything substantial. Unfortunately for me, they're not. I think the pairing of BC and KY-M made for some good fights that could've been jaw-dropping in another context, but here it's not enough to save the movie. And I tend to be rather gracious when it comes to a certain level of Asian comedic sensibilities, but I found this to be just too asinine. I'd rather contend with a classroom of 2nd Graders jacked up on Nerds and Caprisuns.

This film is mondo bizarre to say the least. I was intrigued to see it after reading One Armed Boxer's review a few months back. http://www.cityonfire.com/kung-fu-zombie-1981-review/ (Linked again for those who may not have had a chance to read it.) But if this had been the first Billy Chong film I'd seen rather than Fistful Of Talons, I don't think I would've bothered caring to ever see anything else he's done. Based on the latter film, I'm still curious to see some of his other work.

The unique absurdity of this movie may be right up your alley, and instill a need in you to seek this out. Me? I could've lived without it. I say AVOID THIS!!! But it's your call. (Sorry, OAB)

Morgoth Bauglir

That's too bad you didn't like KF Zombie, but I enjoyed reading your review. I love the way you break down the fights. I think Billy Chong is cool in this movie. Really badass but a bit goofy too. And Kong Do is great as his dad. My favorite performance from him. The action to me is first rate. I'll take this any day over Donnie Yen's Legend of the Wolf undercranking. Brilliantly edited, intense performances, the undercranking doesn't bother me at all in KFZ.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Five Fighters from Shaolin. Have you seen that one? I have a feeling you won't like the fights in that one either because they are too fast, but i want to hear your thoughts. The fights are so fast and there's so much going on it feels like a super hero movie during the fights.

Also what do you think of the fights in Shaolin vs Lama? The fights aren't quite as sped up. I want to find the perfect level of undercranking for you. :nerd:

One Armed Boxer
I want to find the perfect level of undercranking for you. :nerd:

Now there's an offer you can't refuse! As ridiculous as it is, I'm also interested to know the answer to the question. Would love to hear ShaOW!linDude's thoughts on the final fight from 'Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog', which for me is wonderully intense, but is also very undercranked.

As for 'Kung Fu Zombie', man, sorry you didn't get a (excuse the pun) kick out of it. For me it's the perfect example of a completely off the wall kung-fu/horror hybrid HK movie. In terms of Billy Chong movies I rank this top of the pile alongside 'Fistful of Talons', so it's interesting to hear you consider the two movies to be so different in terms of entertainment value. Kwan Yung Moon as a ridiculously angry vampire, what's not to like!?

ShaOW!linDude
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Five Fighters from Shaolin. Have you seen that one? I have a feeling you won't like the fights in that one either because they are too fast, but i want to hear your thoughts. The fights are so fast and there's so much going on it feels like a super hero movie during the fights.

Also what do you think of the fights in Shaolin vs Lama? The fights aren't quite as sped up. I want to find the perfect level of undercranking for you. :nerd:

I want to say I've seen Five Fighters from Shaolin, but I guess I haven't. Must be thinking of something else. And I've never seen Shaolin Vs Lama, though I've seen a clip or two. Always heard good things about it.

Now there's an offer you can't refuse! As ridiculous as it is, I'm also interested to know the answer to the question. Would love to hear ShaOW!linDude's thoughts on the final fight from 'Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog', which for me is wonderully intense, but is also very undercranked.

I don't recall having an issue with the fights in Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog. And how cool is it that the end fight with the villain isn't the end fight, but a duel between the 2 protagonists is! I love that movie, except for some of the drawn out comedy scenes.

When it comes to undercranking, I like the adage "less is more". I realize it is generally applied throughout the fight choreography in films of this genre, and watching a fight scene without a little under-cranking looks a tad off to me. But when I see something like KFZ, I'm thinking someone doesn't know what they're doing. I sort of feel that way about the Yen film Morgoth cited: Legend of the Wolf. I like that movie, but that was sped up a bit too much. I like Shanghai Affairs, too, which has some fast undercranked scenes, but not like LotW. I understand the need for undercranking, but I think filmmakers, especially choreographers like Chan, Sammo, Pops, early Woo Ping, and the like used it best.

As far as Taoist mystical elements as a plot devise in a film, KFZ is more like Taoism Drunkard (which I absolutely loathe), and neither compare with Close Encounters of a Spooky Kind or even Spiritual Kung Fu, and even then it gets a little tiresome for me.

That help any?:tongue:

masterofoneinchpunch
... As far as Taoist mystical elements as a plot devise in a film, KFZ is more like Taoism Drunkard (which I absolutely loathe), and neither compare with Close Encounters of a Spooky Kind or even Spiritual Kung Fu, and even then it gets a little tiresome for me.

Have you seen either Miracle Fighters or Shaolin Drunkard? I'm curious because I'm suspecting that if you did not like Taoism Drunkard (the only one of these three I have not seen.) These are crazy films with a lot of Taoist elements, but less action and more comedy. I tend to like these as well as Close Encounters and Mr. Vampire, but I can understand those who do not.

I need to revisit Kung Fu Zombie. I remember liking it, but as with you I do get annoyed with undercranking in fight scenes. If it is noticeable it means it was cranked too much. The get greedy that way. Many times you cannot notice a 22fps or a 23 fps undercranking, but when you start going less it gets worse. Another factor is the background. If there is wind or sea or something that we are familiar like other people walking with it looks even worse.

ShaOW!linDude
Have you seen either Miracle Fighters or Shaolin Drunkard? I'm curious because I'm suspecting that if you did not like Taoism Drunkard (the only one of these three I have not seen.) These are crazy films with a lot of Taoist elements, but less action and more comedy. I tend to like these as well as Close Encounters and Mr. Vampire, but I can understand those who do not.

I have seen Miracle Fighters. I think I remember that having more wire-work in it that annoyed me rather than undercranking. I've only watched it the one time due to that, but I loved the sets and props, and I think the training sequences were pretty good. I remember it being a pretty wild movie. Never have seen Shaolin Drunkard.

...as with you I do get annoyed with undercranking in fight scenes. If it is noticeable it means it was cranked too much. The get greedy that way. Many times you can notice a 22fps or a 23 fps undercranking, but when you start going less it gets worse. Another factor is the background. If there is wind or sea or something that we are familiar like other people walking with it looks even worse.

Hah! I don't guess I've ever noticed or considered how undercranking would affect the natural landscape in the background. I'll be looking for that now.:tongue:

masterofoneinchpunch
... Hah! I don't guess I've ever noticed or considered how undercranking would affect the natural landscape in the background. I'll be looking for that now.:tongue:

Shaolin Drunkard is another wild movie. Now I'm more curious on Taoist Drunkard as it would compete that informal trilogy for me. Maybe it is off because Yuen Cheung-Yan is the director in his first directed film instead of Yuen Wo-ping. Hmmmm.

I meant to write 23 and 22fps are harder to notice than when you go less fps (referring to normal 24fps, the caveat being there are different systems for film with more now experimenting with faster fps but with systems that take that in account.) Bu yeah sometimes you can see the grass just whipping at an unnatural rate or sea waves going way too fast. Take a look at the earliest fight and car chase scenes in the Bond films. It reminds me of a Benny Hill clip.

Shaolin Drunkard is another wild movie. Now I'm more curious on Taoist Drunkard as it would compete that informal trilogy for me. Maybe it is off because Yuen Cheung-Yan is the director in his first directed film instead of Yuen Wo-ping. Hmmmm.

If you count Young Taoism Fighter, it would be a quadrilogy. If you count Drunken Tai Chi (which is really a pastiche of the Taoism wizardy and Drunken Master themes), it's practically a quintet.

masterofoneinchpunch
If you count Young Taoism Fighter, it would be a quadrilogy. If you count Drunken Tai Chi (which is really a pastiche of the Taoism wizardy and Drunken Master themes), it's practically a quintet.

On HKMDB the first one you mention has an AKA of Miracle Fighters 4 (though I do not see four in the Chinese title). And it also has Yuen Yat-Choh. SO yeah possibly an informal quadrilogy. I'm not sure Drunken Tai Chi/b] should count, it reminds me of so many Mr. Vampire-ish films that were not numbered but had Lam Ching-ying.

Secret Executioner

One movie that I remember finding overly undercranked is Joseph Kuo's Ninja Kids AKA Venom Of The Ninja.

Some parts are sped up to the point you expect "Yakety Sax" to play. :tongue:

Morgoth Bauglir

I'd put Drunken Dragon as a Miracle Fighters movie before Drunken Tai Chi, but I think you can count Drunken Tai Chi as part of the series. It's the kung fu entry into the Miracle Fighters series.

Solid review on KFZ. While I did enjoy the movie a lot, I tend to enjoy the kung fu comedy, as well as the crazy stuff..most of the time.. Definitely for a certain taste, or an acquired taste, at least. I do agree that the under cranking was a little much, and have to say I would have liked to see a "normal" fight between KY-M and Billy Chong myself! This is only one of two Billy Chong movies I have seen, the other being Super Power. I don't remember much about Super Power, outside of thinking it was a pretty formulaic affair overall, and Billy Chong was very impressive throughout.

I probably like KFZ more than all of the crazy Drunkard movies I have seen (I haven't seen "Tai Chi.."), although I liked them a lot as well.

ShaOW!linDude
This is only one of two Billy Chong movies I have seen, the other being Super Power. I don't remember much about Super Power, outside of thinking it was a pretty formulaic affair overall, and Billy Chong was very impressive throughout.

I probably like KFZ more than all of the crazy Drunkard movies I have seen (I haven't seen "Tai Chi.."), although I liked them a lot as well.

Definitely seek out Fistful of Talons, bro. Some really good fights there. And I'd encourage you to get Drunken Tai Chi also. That was my first taste of Donnie Yen, and the end fight is killer.

Secret Executioner

I agree on Drunken Tai Chi: a really fun film with some really funny comedy and nice action. One of my fav' Donnie Yen movies.

Morgoth Bauglir

Drunken Tai Chi is a great one. My favorite part is when the villain makes his son a toy using his bare hands. Kind of a scary scene!

One Armed Boxer
As far as Taoist mystical elements as a plot devise in a film, KFZ is more like Taoism Drunkard (which I absolutely loathe), and neither compare with Close Encounters of a Spooky Kind or even Spiritual Kung Fu, and even then it gets a little tiresome for me.

It's interesting to see 'Kung Fu Zombie' getting thrown into the same conversation as the likes of 'Miracle Fighters', 'Shaolin Drunkard', and 'Young Taoism Fighter'. For me the Yuen Clan movies that were being made in that time period, and Billy Chong's movies that had a supernatural element (you can probably count 'Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave' as well), are completely different.

If someone didn't enjoy something like 'Miracle Fighters' or 'Taoism Drunkard', I'd tell them to go watch 'Kung Fu Zombie'. Less of the magic stuff, and more focus on intense fight scenes and over the top violence. The Yuen Clan movies are pure craziness, as they were intended to be, and also don't have the horror element that 'Kung Fu Zombie' has.

If I had to draw a line, I'd have the Yuen Clan productions on one side, then the likes of 'Kung Fu Zombie', 'Encounters of the Spooky Kind', 'Mr Vampire' etc. on the other. One side is focused on being crazy comedies revolving around taoism and magic, the other side is more about combining kung-fu and comedy with elements of horror.

What was my point? Oh, that's right....I cry foul at 'Kung Fu Zombie' being compared to 'Taoism Drunkard'!

I do get annoyed with undercranking in fight scenes. If it is noticeable it means it was cranked too much. The get greedy that way. Many times you cannot notice a 22fps or a 23 fps undercranking, but when you start going less it gets worse. Another factor is the background. If there is wind or sea or something that we are familiar like other people walking with it looks even worse.

Love these insights, definitely going to looking out for them next time I watch an undercranked fight scene in one of those environments!

ShaOW!linDude
What was my point? Oh, that's right....I cry foul at 'Kung Fu Zombie' being compared to 'Taoism Drunkard'!

As long as you don't use gibbering incantations to cast a spell on me.:tongue:

And now for...

THE PURIFIERS (2004) Running time: 81 mins.

Stars: Kevin McKidd, Gordon Alexander, Dominic Monaghan, Amber Sainsbury, Rachel Grant, Fraser James, Robyn Kerr, Jamie Cho, Chloe Bruce, Ashley Beck, Stuart Sinclair Blythe

Fight Choreographer: Gordon Alexander

Asst. F.C.: Oliver Hollis

Dir.: Richard Jobson

Synopsis

Moses (KM), a former gang member turned aspiring politician, wants to unite the 5 city gangs into a confederation under his complete control, promising them they will share in his power. John (GA), leader of the gang known as The Purifiers, isn't sold on the idea. The Purifiers, a small band of martial artists, actually work to rid the city of criminal activity. Moses holds a summit meeting inviting them, the Pumas, the Eels, the Angels, and the Wolves. Anyone not on board will be dealt with. Sol (DM), John's right-hand man, thinks they should accept Moses' deal, but concedes to John's decision. Leaving the meeting, the Purifiers are set upon by the rival gangs, forcing John to deal with betrayal within his group and confront Moses.

Fight #1 --- Sparring matches

John (GA) vs Eel leader --- It has a good flow with good exchanges, but there's really nothing special here, except GA showcasing his physique.

Sol (DM) vs Eel girl (CB) --- It's good, but only due to Chloe Bruce's part. She's a good kicker. There is a nice front sweep from DM, but otherwise you can tell he doesn't have a lot of screen fighting experience here. He just doesn't sell his punches and kicks.

Raz (JC) vs Eel dude --- This is a good fight, with agility and a few sweet kicks with good impact. I was impressed with Jamie Cho.

Fight #2 --- Running from the rival gangs

GA shows some nice kicks in places, and in a stare-down with one gangbanger, he uses a sweet little move to take the guy's nunchucks away and knock him out.

Fight #3 --- Restaurant brawl

Involves patrons and employees of an Asian restaurant and the Wolves, of which Silvio Simac is the leader. It's short, but fun! Good kicks, good impact!

Fight #4 --- John & Francis (AS) vs female Puma leader

This is so-so. Lots of slo-mo. Not very involved. Meh.

Fight #5 --- Sam (RK) vs Angel gang chick

Meh. More slo-mo. There's a couple of decent kicks, that's about it, and they're from the rival gang member (who is channeling Marilyn Monroe or Madonna, not sure which).

Fight #6 --- John vs 4 Angel gang members

No competition here. It's real short, but it's kind of neat how GA puts down the leader.

Fight #7 --- Sol vs Li (RG)

Lots of slo-mo here, too. The fight is meh, but the dramatic element actually lends to it, though the choreography is pretty basic. (Shame, too, because Rachel Grant is really pretty, and apparently a student of Silat according to her IMDb page.)

Fight #8 --- John vs 3 Eel gang members from the sparring matches

Great fight! The feet are flying here, and there are lots of good exchanges and combos. Chloe Bruce struts her stuff a bit, but GA finally shines. His techniques seem effortless, but have good impact.

Fight #9 --- John vs Moses (KM)

Boss end fight! It excels in intensity as it goes. It starts out with some "shapes" work, a mixture of Tai Chi and Wing Chun. The exchanges are intricate, and become more aggressive. Then the kicks start getting thrown. At one point, a nice, little, Mantis Style arm bar is used. As a whole, it's very solid and rewatchable. The editing in places could've been better, and sadly there's no real finishing move.

I like this film, though honestly the fights could've been way better. It's plot is reminiscent of The Warriors. The movie has a great atmosphere, and some plot points are typical, but still well played. The acting is really good for the most part. Where the fault lies is in casting those who aren't practicing MA's for some of the supporting roles, thus the majority of the fights are short and basic, most probably no more that a dozen moves, if that. (DM isn't the star, though his role is substantial, and it seems the film is marketed via him because of his appearing at the time in the LOTR franchise.)

The standout performances are from GA and KM.

Gordon Alexander has a good presence, and as a choreographer and screen fighter, he demonstrates great potential. (Check his IMDb page, and it lists his body of stunt work, which consists of some major films.) Unfortunately, this project didn't pan out for him to continue starring and choreographing his own roles. Hate that. At times, he shows an 'old school' skill set, which I appreciate. Kevin McKidd is superb here as the villain, and he has fun with the role. He's a good screen fighter, too. (Loved as Killer #2 in Bunraku.)

Two of the film's potential casting strengths were underused: Chloe Bruce and Jamie Cho. The action would've improved drastically if these two would've had a couple of more fights apiece.

The movie was left open for a sequel that's never going to happen. Kind of wish it would. Ah, well. It has its moments, both humdrum and engaging. I've seen a lot worse. So have you. Still, I don't feel it's one I can say you need to own, but you certainly ought to see it. It's your call.

ShaOW!linDude

THE BLONDE FURY (aka Lady Reporter aka Righting Wrongs 2) (1988) Running time: 83 mins.

Stars: Cynthia Rothrock, Elizabeth Lee, Chin Siu-Ho, Mang Hoi, Roy Chiao, Billy Chow, Fat Chung, Jeffrey Falcon, Vincent Lyn, Melvin Wong, James Tien, Ma Wu

Action Directors: Mang Hoi, Corey Yuen Kwai

Dir.: Mang Hoi

Synopsis

Cindy (CR) is an undercover FBI agent sent to Hong Kong to find and stop a counterfeiting ring, which happens to be run by a criminal boss who uses a major newspaper and its printing presses to make the fake bills.

Fight #1 --- Cindy vs Printing Press Gang

Good fight! CR sports some nice kicks here. It's interspersed with stunt work she's obviously doubled in. Still, it has a good flow and that HK action feel.

Fight #2 --- Cindy vs thief (FC)

Short and comical, but CR cuts loose with some gorgeous hook kicks, sending her foe in a 2 story fall to the ground.

Fight #3 --- Cindy vs Billy Chow

Awesome fight!!! It's heavy-hitting with both combatants evenly matched as they smash through glass and furniture or fly into the walls. Killer kicks! Great impacts!

Fight #4 --- Chin Siu-Ho vs Billy Chow

Great fight!!! The choreography here is very dynamic, and filled with good kicking combos. CS-H is quite impressive. I almost wish it had run longer, but it segues into...

Fight #5 --- Cindy vs Sai Bar

Another great fight!!! Kung Fu vs Muay Thai, and it gets brutal. CR is only doubled here in a couple of times, and it's a vicious fight ending in another neat fall. (This guy is uncredited. I can't find anything on him. Shame, too, because he's a good screen fighter. I did come across a comment on IMDb stating his strikes were so powerful, both he and Rothrock wound up having to wear armor beneath their clothes.)

Fight #6 --- End fight

Best fight!!! This starts with CR fighting a gang on a giant web-like rope net. She's doubled a good bit, but it's still some nice stunt work. She eventually faces off against both VL and JF. It's a good 2-on-1, with CR using a series of scorpion kicks against VL, and engaging in a pole fight with JF, who to me is the more impressive of the 2. The choreography is solid throughout with good flow and good exchanges. It's just fun to watch!!!

The plot is contrived, and the interaction between some of the characters is just silly. (The 'roll your eyes' silly, not the 'ha-ha' silly.) And there are a couple of moments where I was like, "Really?" What am I talking about? Oh, just Rothrock pulling her female costar into the bathtub with her, and then the two of them later engaging in a pillow fight on the bed like college coeds. It's blatant pandering to the male viewers, but remember, this was filmed in 1988.

I must give a special 'thank you' to DrNgor for his graciousness in sending me a copy of this film, which is a "holy grail" of sorts.

Over the years whenever I've hunted it down, it is ridiculously expensive to purchase, because it is so hard to find. I've read comments of those who've said things both positive and negative about it. But it's a Golden Harvest production! As soon as I saw the logo, I just had a feeling it was going to be good. I was not disappointed.

This film falls in the 80's modern actioner vein that rolled out of Hong Kong. Mang Hoi did a good job with the stunt and fight sequences. The editing is a tad quick at times, but everything still looks great. He learned his staging well having worked with the likes of Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao, as well as many others. This was the perfect vehicle for Rothrock, and Hoi surrounded her with capable screen fighters, thus she and her opponents come off looking great.

If you can...GET THIS!!!!!!