The Spectacle of Early 70's Toho Chambara

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

I absolutely love this period at Toho films. After absorbing Daiei in 1970 they churned out several amazing films over the next few years. And with directors like Kenji Misumi, Kazuo Ikehiro, and Toshiya Fujita they updated the classic chambara genre for a new decade. Over the top violence, remarkable characters who are often more evil than the villains they are fighting, oozing sexuality, and highly stylized direction and cinematography made for some memorable films in this period. I have a few favorites; Shadow Hunters, Demon Spies, Trail of Blood and it's sequels. And of course there is Snowblood and the Baby Carts, Hanzo the Razor, 4 or 5 Zatoichi's and quite a few more. Does anyone else love this period at Toho? Or have any favorites of the many nuggets they put out in the early 70's? Please feel free to include the films produced by Toho as well as the films that were distributed by Toho. I also realize they made a lot more than Chambara and Swordplay films so include any you want.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

Well then, I guess I'm the only one. Maybe these movies really suck. I'll have to go back and watch them again.:tongue:

The Last Samurai (74) is a great one, the ending is a bit bittersweet though. I have to admit to finding the 70's as a downslide for the Samurai film, (with the exceptions of course) with the Yakuza and exploitation films taking over at this time, 50's and 60's having my favorite Samurai films.

danthemandmv

''DUEL AT FORT EZO''(1970) starring Rentaro Mikuni,Tatsuya Nakadai&Yuzo Kayama has a real ''Western'' vibe to it,taking place mostly in Hokkaido(Japan's ''Wild Frontier'') with Ainu playing the role assumed by American Indians in cowboy flicks.

Another of my Toho jidai-geki faves from this period,''GOYOKIN'' (starring Tatsuya Nakadi,Tetsuro Tanba&Kinnosuke Nakamura) actually WAS remade as a Western by none other than Billy Jack himself,Tom Loughlin under the title ''MASTER GUNFIGHTER''.

''INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS'' starring Toshiro Mifune&Shintaro Katsu's worth a look,&I definitely have to agree about Misumi's ''THE LAST SAMURAI''!

BlackLamaFaction
''DUEL AT FORT EZO''(1970) starring Rentaro Mikuni,Tatsuya Nakadai&Yuzo Kayama has a real ''Western'' vibe to it,taking place mostly in Hokkaido(Japan's ''Wild Frontier'') with Ainu playing the role assumed by American Indians in cowboy flicks.

Another of my Toho jidai-geki faves from this period,''GOYOKIN'' (starring Tatsuya Nakadi,Tetsuro Tanba&Kinnosuke Nakamura) actually WAS remade as a Western by none other than Billy Jack himself,Tom Loughlin under the title ''MASTER GUNFIGHTER''.

''INCIDENT AT BLOOD PASS'' starring Toshiro Mifune&Shintaro Katsu's worth a look,&I definitely have to agree about Misumi's ''THE LAST SAMURAI''!

Right on, Goyokin is one of my favorites, surely one of Gosha's best flicks. I still have never seen Duel At Fort Ezo that's been on my list to see for quite awhile.

Yeah I agree Tosh the Mikogami Trilogy was off the hook. Jokichi was crazy with his homemade fingernail claws. I was kind of disappointed that the third one (Slaughter in the Snow) doesn't have him killing Boss Chuji, the plot went in another direction, it was like he was just forgotten or something. Still a dynamite series of films.

They are slightly earlier, as I think they ended in 1969, but the Raizo Ichikawa Sleepy Eyes of Death films (which were called Son of the Black Mass when I was first introduced to them) are personal favorites. I am very excited about the upcoming AnimEigo releases!

Of the "Samurai Exploitation" films you mentioned, the only ones worth their salt are the Lone Wolf & Cub, Hanzo and 1st Lady Snowblood. It's not that i didn't enjoy the others, but the Mikogami trilogy was so-so for me. I actually didn't think Harada was a good lead for that series. I tried to like the Shadow Hunters films, they are fun at times, but they just seem to lack the fireworks you get from the other blood sammy flicks. Ishihara certainly is no Wakayama. But I do enjoy the blood fountains and ninja gimmicks in those films. Lady Snowblood 2, while not a bad watch, is just kind of boring.

Where can I find a copy of duel at fort ezo? I tried looking for a torrent, and couldn't find anything. I don't think it's ever been distributed in the US has it?

Archived