Shaw Brothers Blu-Ray

J-Calli

Hi guys,

I want to build up my collection of shaw bros on Blu Ray and wanted your opinion on what to get and what to avoid (in terms of quality rather than the actual film!).

I have Opuim & the kung fu master which i am extremely impressed with.

Crippled Avengers aka Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (doh!) will definately be the next purchase, you have all given pretty good feedback

I was going to get 36th Chamber of Shoalin, but judging the comments on here i think i will give it a miss!

The Delightful Forest was supposed to be a blu-ray success - can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for your help in advance! :bigsmile:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crippled Avengers isnt available on Blu ray..wish it was!!

The following are good.

HEROIC ONES (WELLGO)

ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS (WELL GO)

HEROES TWO (TOKYO SHOCK)

BROTHERS FIVE

Most are well priced and available from Ebay / Amazon etc.

36th Chamber of Shaolin is a 1080i poor transfer...avoid for now....Not seen Delightful Forest Blu ray but its supposed to have a good transfer.

Dont know of any others as yet.....

Crippled Avengers isnt available on Blu ray..wish it was!!

The following are good.

HEROIC ONES (WELLGO)

ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS (WELL GO)

HEROES TWO (TOKYO SHOCK)

BROTHERS FIVE

Most are well priced and available from Ebay / Amazon etc.

36th Chamber of Shaolin is a 1080i poor transfer...avoid for now....Not seen Delightful Forest Blu ray but its supposed to have a good transfer.

Dont know of any others as yet.....

Thanks very much for the info.

I am gutted about crippled avengers!

Hi guys,

I want to build up my collection of shaw bros on Blu Ray and wanted your opinion on what to get and what to avoid (in terms of quality rather than the actual film!).

I have Opuim & the kung fu master which i am extremely impressed with.

Crippled Avengers aka Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms (doh!) will definately be the next purchase, you have all given pretty good feedback

I was going to get 36th Chamber of Shoalin, but judging the comments on here i think i will give it a miss!

The Delightful Forest was supposed to be a blu-ray success - can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for your help in advance! :bigsmile:

Delightful Forest had some issues when I bought that a number of months ago, but like everyone else, I just contact Well Go and they sent the replacement copy. All I needed to do was send them a scan of the cover! I didn't pay anything extra for the proper copy. The other discs they've done are also great.

Stay away, I repeat, stay away from 36th Chamber. It is really bad. I haven't looked at my Standard Def version on by blu-ray player yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that looks better than the blu-ray disc.

I haven't invested in a Tokyo Shock blu-ray disc, so I can't comment on their quality.

KFS

Didn't 'Delightful Forrest' have conversion (or interlacing) issues?

Media Blasters are putting out the best Blu-Rays/DVDs for English-speakers (even if there are some flaws).

kungfusamurai

I just got my hands on the Deadly Duo by Tokyo Shock, and it looks great! Same, crisp image as the Well Go USA blu ray disc.

KFS

Thanks for that Kungfusamurai. I want to get this on Blu also because it has the original mono, not the awful remix on the HK dvd.

Heroes Two is even better in quality than Deadly Duo. While DD had some edge enhancement issues, HT has a beautifully balanced high definition transfer, with a more natural sharpness to it than DD. I hope MB gets their shit together and releases more blu-rays!

nice to know about HEROES TWO. especially MB is the ONLY US Company releasing Shaw Blus that are worth the Money.

Those are the only two Shaw I'll be picking up.

Media Blasters alone deserve our money.

Damn straight... I think the only universal gripe we have is their tendency to delay their releases, then not tell anyone the new date :tongue:

kungfusamurai

I would also like to see Well Go release more later era flicks. Not that I'm complaining about having the older titles. I haven't really looked at their catalog, I'm hoping they've got some good titles from '77 and later.

KFS

Those are the only two Shaw I'll be picking up.

Media Blasters alone deserve our money.

A bit harsh..Wellgo Blu rays are ok. not perfect of course but ok.

OK isn't good enough.

Unless they're handing over the discs for free.

The trouble is if your waiting for the perfect version of these discs then you might have a very long wait!...i would rather have the Wellgo Blu rays than none at all!

Spannick and Markgway, are you both just reticent to "upgrade" or would you genuinely recommend a particular DVD version over the Wellgo releases of The Delightful Forest, and All Men are Brothers?

kungfusamurai

I watch my blu rays on an LG 720p plasma TV. I don't see any difference between the quality of the Well Go and the Tokyo Shock. They're both on par with BCI's Opium & The Kung Fu Master. The only blu ray I've seen that gets two big thumbs down is the Dragon Dynasty 36th chamber. Now that's a company that should be giving them away for free.

KFS

i don't buy shit that's subpar for a Bluray. if there's no Film Grain on a Shaw Movie, it's filtered to death and i don't support such crap.

i have lots of good Quality PAL Celestial DVDs without interlacing and they're the same quality as the Well go Crap when upscaled - it just is not worth the upgrade if i already have the DVD of that movie, there is no real gain in Sharpness. BUT if you compare the Blurays to the Bullcrap coming from HK (interlaced PAL-NTSC Transfers) they're better. and most folks don't have the Options, so just go ahead. Just don't go around and say they're excellent (for a bluray) - they're not - technically.

Archived