Love on Delivery (1994)

bruceleewannabe

bruceleewannabe

As some of you might know, I recently received a massive Stephen Chow box set with many movies which leaves me open to doing several reviews of them. Here's my take on Love on Delivery from 1994.

Stephen Chow plays Ho-Kam Ang, a weak and dumb little delivery boy for a chinese restaurant. When he is called to make a delivery to a local sports center he falls in love with Lily played by Christy Chung. Her teacher (Joe Cheng) is trying to flirt with her and tells her he has two tickets to the Jacky Cheung concert and they should go together. She tells him that she would rather date someone like Ho and kisses him to make the teacher jealous.

She then proceeds to tell Ho that she was only kidding to make her teacher upset and she dislikes weak and spineless guys. Ho then proceeds to camp out in line for tickets to the Jacky Cheung concert in what ends up being a hilariously bad disappointment, that is until Jacky himself shows up to save the day.

Chow's character later ends up having to fight a karate champion from Japan which yields some funny scenes.

This movie also features Chow regular Ng Man Tat playing Tat the owner of a convenience shop who offers to teach Chow's character kung fu in exchange for money. It's a hilariously ridiculous film which is all about the little guy who wants to win the pretty girl's heart. There's many hilariously funny scenes including a fight scene starring Chow in a Garfield mask? Yeah, I said it.

Overall this film would rate an 8.5/10.0 on my meter. There are movies that I think are greatly more hilarious but this one is definintely sure to be on someone's top five or ten list of their favorite Stephen Chow movies.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds promising. I really like Stephen Chow's stuff. But I bought the 2 disc set of 'Royal Tramp' and was so severely disappointed in the first disc I fast-forwarded to the end and never bothered watching the second one at all. I might check this out though.

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm with you all the way on this one bruceleewanabe. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. The gags never stop. The only Chow movies I rate higher are Fight Back to School part 2 and Shaolin Soccer.

That sounds promising. I really like Stephen Chow's stuff. But I bought the 2 disc set of 'Royal Tramp' and was so severely disappointed in the first disc I fast-forwarded to the end and never bothered watching the second one at all. I might check this out though.

If you didn't like part 1, then you made a good decision not watching part 2. I liked part 1, but part 2 is just average, which surprised me since it adds 2 of my favorite actors to the cast, Yen Shi Kwan and Brigitte Lin.

Love this Stephen Chow film. Nice little homage to Ultraman and Garfield, plus a worthy villain in Ben Lam, who played said Japanese karate champion. Also appearing in cameos were Billy Chow as a taekwondo expert who gets beaten by Lam as was Dutch kickboxing champion Rob Kaman.

This is one of chows best. in 90 and 91 he made so many movies. But from 94 onwards when his movies were becoming less frequent the quality was being elevated. This was the same year he did From Beijing with love.

I absolutely love this film and I'm not much of a Stephen Chow fan. A few of his films, I liked (God of Gamblers 3: Back to Shanghai, Hail the Judge, Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle) others, I've loathed (All For the Winner, God of Gamblers 2, Fist of Fury '91, The Sixty Million Dollar Man, A Chinese Odyssey) but Love on Delivery is the only one I'd consider a classic. I guess everyone has a different opinion of Chow. I always considered him overrated... except for this film.

Archived