Watch a horr...ible move in October

xianzai

It's somewhat of a tradition to watch horror movies in October, given Halloween and all, but why not watch a movie you've bought and have sitting around you're actually kind of dreading watching, because how bad it might be? Besides, I bet most of you, like me, have already watched all or almost all the SB horror films you have.

I'm thinking of trying:

The Silent Love "Ivy Ling Po gives a startling performance as an abused wife who suffers through all his adulterous and treacherous ways in "The Silent Love", which became an allegorical, tragic love story that reflected the unspoken truths inherent in Chinese society. Lead actor Chin Feng received the 1971 Golden Horse Outstanding Performance Award for his portrayal as The Mute, a man that secretly loves Ivy and does all he can to make her life better, except that it backfires on him."

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=3327

and

The Price of Love "Think "City Lights" with a Mandarin twist. This unique Chaplinesque tale of two misfits in love stars Teddy Robin Kwan, a handicapped comic actor and already popular rock star whose talent more than makes up for his physical limitations. There's laughter and tears in this, his first film, as he comes to the aid of a blind waif, eventually delighting her (and the audience) with the songs he created especially for the film."

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=7382

Because let's face it, there's one topic HK cinema has always managed with respect and dignity: people with handicaps.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was dreading watching ''The Enchantress", but now im not. Turns out it's DIR by Chor Yuen. He happens to be

my favorite Shaw Director.

Morgoth Bauglir

Watched about 10 minutes of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre part 1 and I became so confused that part of my brain exploded and started leaking out of my nose and eye sockets.

emeraldforest
Watched about 10 minutes of Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre part 1 and I became so confused that part of my brain exploded and started leaking out of my nose and eye sockets.

:wink:

same thing happened to me when i started watching THE LOST HOLY CUP lol

the horror...the horror....:cry:

same thing happened to me when i started watching THE LOST HOLY CUP lol

the horror...the horror....

Your making that movie up, but why. Do you mean to say there is a movie called THE LOST HOLY CUP, or is

your english off. THE LOST HOLY CUP... a Shaw Brothers movie OK RIGHT...

emeraldforest
Your making that movie up, but why. Do you mean to say there is a movie called THE LOST HOLY CUP, or is

your english off. THE LOST HOLY CUP... a Shaw Brothers movie OK RIGHT...

:squigglemouth:

do u seriously think i have nothing better to do than make shit up?

lol

try;

mi shi de sheng bei

the lost holy cup

zhao wen zhuo ( vincent zhao from the blade and true legend!!!)

very rare, wanna trade?

masterofoneinchpunch

you talked me into watching:

Black Magic 2 (1976: Ho Meng-hua: Hong Kong)

October is the month to definitely step up watching horror related cinema. I figured it would be a good time to take care of at least one Shaw Brothers’ horror film.

The film starts off with the devouring of a half nude female by a crocodile who then gets killed a gutted by an old white haired man who then returns a trinket to the grieving family. One of the few jokes in the film is the amount of junk that is found in the crocodile before he finds what he is looking for. For most of the film I was wondering what the heck this had to do with the film, but later you will find out.

Lo Lieh is a black magic practitioner who is really about 80 years old who lives daily off the breast milk of young women and keeps a horde of zombies in his house. His activities have been the cause of a rash of unexplained phenomena in the local hospital that has confused a doctor (Lam Wai-tiu) and he has sent for a doctor friend who is on vacation (Ti Lung) to help figure it out. Ti Lung feels that a rational explanation can be found, but Lam feels that it is the cause of a sorcerer. As always in these types of films “there are things that science can’t explain.” So Ti is obviously wrong.

Later the two doctors and the witch doctor tangle when Lam and Ti decide to test his abilities. This leads to Lo casting a spell on Lam and Ti’s wife to make the two fall in love with each other.

For those into shock cinema this really does not come close to the later Shaw Brothers’ The Boxer’s Omen. There are no real martial arts or much action in the film, a scuffle with Lo Lieh and Ti Lung happens, but that is purposely pathetic and looks nothing like a kung fu film. Fans of the first film (are there any other there) will definitely want to see this. It is not a sequel so you can watch this one without having seen the first. A warning of course, while I didn’t see any animal abuse other than a chicken several animal carcasses are shown and I am not sure if they are real or not. Of course those with taste in film probably do not want to see this film either. The lowlights include a miscarriage, lots of maggot infested corpse, worm infested wounds, nails in head, lots of makeup, more nail piercings in various body parts, and some other nastiness.

The movie like most gore horror and Hong Kong horror is not scary. I did not find it that interesting as well since it really is not overly different from the first film. I have read on HKMDB that some of the score came from "Sound Dimensions" (Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai).

On a hilarious note, my friends review on HKMDB is quotes twice on the Tokyo Shock release: “More gore! More nudity! More zombies!” – Hong Kong Movie Database and “One of the all-time great Hong Kong horrors!” – Hong Kong Movie Database. Now I just hope one of my reviews is quoted out there.

I'm planning on watching "The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires" sometime this weekend. It's one of those few Hammer/Shaw Brother colaborations. It stars Peter Cushing and David Chiang.

Here is the synopsis:

Professor Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) gives a lecture in 1904 at a Chongqing (Chungking) university on Chinese vampire legend. He talks of an unknown rural village that has been terrorized by vampires for many years. After the lecture, a student (David Chiang) informs him that the legend is true and he knows the location of the village. He then asks Professor Van Helsing if he would be willing to travel to the village and destroy the vampire menace. Van Helsing agrees and embarks with his son, the student and his kung-fu trained siblings on a dangerous journey funded by a wealthy widow (Julie Ege). The seven golden vampires, rotting, sword-wielding, long-haired undead sporting golden masks and bat necklaces are acting under the guidance of Count Dracula himself, masquerading as a mad taoist monk.

Man I am so pumped!

Archived