Grindhouse!

Guest Chen Zhen

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Officially a mega-flop.

It's already down at No. 10 in the charts in only the second week and has made back less than a third of its budget.

I've heard that in the U.K they're gonna release the films seperately only (and it's been pushed back from June to September).

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Officially a mega-flop.

And even with the weak competition out in theaters now. There was maybe 20 people in the theater when I saw it too. I watched a matinee of 300 with my wifethe day before and the place was 3/4 of the way full still! Not really that much of a suprise to see it that low. Considering the obscure genre they were paying homage to.

Guest Shaolin Dog Paw

I finally saw this the other day. I was the only person in the theatre. :|

It seemd like Tarantino's movie was sort of a rip of the 70's evil trucker vs. muscle car movie The Duel.

However, i enjoyed it. It was fun and nostalgic. I hope they do more of this type of movie. It would have done alot better if it was low budget... keep everything else the same. Get some out of work actors and real strippers to star in it, get rid of the CGI, go old school FX all the way. They would have saved millions, made good profit, and prepare the way for future grindhouse features.

I thought she said Zatoichi or Ichi, heh, now i know im not hearing things.

Guest sevenhooks

NOBODY was in the theater when we went to see this the other day.

Enjoyed it for what it was.

Planet Terror got old fast and couldn't wait for it to end.

I had heard that Death Proof was a bit talky in parts and was prepared.

I dug it a lot more than I thought I would.

The performances were really great (particularly that "Zoe" chick who I guess was playing herself).

In fact, all the girls worked really well off each other.

Action was great and the soundtrack was brilliant.

I'd even go see it again (but I'd be sure to walk in about an hour and some change into the film in order to bypass Planet Terror).

The main difference I sensed between the two flicks was that I felt I actually cared about what happened to the characters in Death Proof, while I could really care less about what happened to anyone in Planet Terror.

Guest moongirl6

I thought this was a total blast!! I agree with those who have commented before me that Death Proof meandered too much in the middle with excess dialogue--I also agree that the "girl talk" was unconvincing, and it didn't have enough car terror or Kurt Russell, but it was still great. Planet Terror was different but great also, and I thought the maneuvers of Rose McGowan's character in the final confronation scene was totally and completely awesome. Personally, I loved all of the trailers (although I agree that Machete was the best--I wish they would make that film!). They were totally dead-on as far as trailers like these goes. Years ago, I rented (and copied) a video from my local video store that had about 20 minutes worth of trailers for films like these at the end. They were hilarious (and were avaible for rent by the same video store). They included spots for "Dr. Butcher, MD" (I never got around to watching the whole movie, but the trailer was so extensive that I got a pretty good taste of the whole thing, and it seemed to share a lot of elements in common with Planet Terror), "New Year's Evil", and who knows what else. Just like the Grindhouse trailers.

As a sidenote, in the theater I saw Grindhouse, an employee had us read a sign by the ticket window explaining that the scratches and other flaws in the film were intentional!!

Guest Stuntman Jules

I really dug it. PLANET TERROR is Rodriguez's best film to date and has a great FROM DUSK TILL DAWN vibe to it and while DEATH PROOF is somewhat flawed, it's still great. I think a lot of DEATH PROOF's flaws were intentional as a lot of grindhouse films really were boring and talky and without much action. Tarantino does know just what he's doing.

Guest sea kelp

I loved death proof to no end, even if the vanishing point love was a little much it was still great entertainment. I'm a lucky guy in that movies do not bore me. Even if its full of camp, trivial dialogue or just slow paced, it's like I'm immune to it. My only real problem was the Zatoichi name dropping, which hurt my ears and made me cringe. So while it did have a few issues Kill Bill did, I was totally engrossed in it. And the end? Loved it, almost perfect.

Planet Terror was not good. Rodriguez admitted when they started the project he really didn't know much about Grindhouse cinema (he said this at SXSW I believe) and man, does it show. I suppose it was worth it for the helicopter gag and blood sprays though.

Guest Stuntman Jules

Yeah, PLANET TERROR does feel way more 80s Troma/Cannon Films than 70s AIP, but it was still a lot of badass fun at least.

Also, as far as the trailers go, WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS was a huge disappointment but THANKSGIVING and DON'T were great. MACHETE looked a bit too CGI for a grindhouse trailer.

Guest daTOAD

agreed. Rodriguez is definetly 80s to Tarantinos 60s/70s.both i felt were great[as a person who loves 80s slashers and sci fi along with 70s demented drive inn stuff]. i actually cant wait for them to be released seperately so i can make my own double feature with them.PLANET TERROR/ GALAXY OF TERROR and DEATH PROOF/THE CANDY SNATCHERS. perfect. Rob Zombies trailer sucked. didnt help that his Halloween trailer was missing also.

Guest Daisho2004

OK I got to watch these movies last night, and I did enjoy "Planet Terror" a whole lot good story as far the Zombie plot goes it just made me laugh, but "Death Proof" was just plan Boring, to much talking and not enough Action. Kurt Russell was good I was glad to see him making a comeback, QT seemed more into the dialogue than making a movie that was good. When there was Action it was only for a few minutes its too long to sit and watch again. I would have to fast forward it if I ever watched it again.

Archived