Flight Man (Shaw's only really alternate reality WWII movie?)

xianzai

Seems to have been targeted at the Taiwanese market. Anyone know more about this movie?

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=9938

The Japanese have occupied Taiwan...but they left all their guns, bombs, planes, trucks, etc. behind. Fortunately they brought their swords and (in the movie) treachery and desire to marry (but not rape) Taiwanese women. Oh, and they're all easily browbeaten by Chinese who take a stand.

I wouldn't call it a good movie, but it's very odd to see WWII in the Pacific without guns, only fists and blades.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems to have been targeted at the Taiwanese market. Anyone know more about this movie?

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=9938

The Japanese have occupied Taiwan...but they left all their guns, bombs, planes, trucks, etc. behind. Fortunately they brought their swords and (in the movie) treachery and desire to marry (but not rape) Taiwanese women. Oh, and they're all easily browbeaten by Chinese who take a stand.

I wouldn't call it a good movie, but it's very odd to see WWII in the Pacific without guns, only fists and blades.

This was no different than any other basher of the time period. Tanks and guns weren't required in this storyline. Only this one was quirkier than most and had a song or two from Ling Po. I enjoyed it and thought it had some choice locations. The director also shot IMPERIAL TOMB RAIDERS and WELL OF DOOM in Taiwan for Shaw's as well.

This was no different than any other basher of the time period. Tanks and guns weren't required in this storyline.
But the other WWII SB films I've seen had guns and bombs...:wink2:

But the other WWII SB films I've seen had guns and bombs...:wink2:

Which ones? SEVEN MAN ARMY and NAVAL COMMANDOS? Those were later and were guided by Chang Cheh. Director Ting was new at Shaw's at the time and it's highly doubtful they would have entrusted him with a massive budget including such things. Again, this script was pretty much the same as any other basher at the time whether at Shaw's or an indy flick that featured Japanese as the villains. Military hardware was not required here and I don't think you could have gotten tanks up on those rocky mountaintops where much of the film is shot. Ting did get to helm BATTLE FOR THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA close to a decade later, though.

Military hardware was not required here and I don't think you could have gotten tanks up on those rocky mountaintops where much of the film is shot.
It was just strange to see WWII without guns...

As it was, the hero had the most advanced technology with his trick extending polearm.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I remember the preview when I was 14, but when we went to the Great Star, my cousin did not want to read subtitles, so we went to see Come Back Charleston Blue, and something else. I remember there was a fight on top of a burning restaurant in the preview, and a lot of underhand grip fighting with the tanto by the hero against katana, right?

NoKUNGFUforYU

Finally saw this, 30 years later, more or less. Pretty silly. Tons of scenes where people overhear conservations in places they would never have access to. Some distasteful child abuse, by the "heroic" father. Some nice jump kicks here and there by wong yung, but basically a bad script with awful acting. A few good fights, but that is about it. It took me forever to get a hold of a copy as well, so it was a real letdown. My cousin was right. Comeback Charleston Blue is a much better movies, LOL!

Archived