Voltron: Defender of the Universe (2023) - Live Action Adaptation

AlbertV

Yes, you heard right. A live action adaptation of the classic 80's anime Beast King Go-Lion, which became in the U.S. the more popular VOLTRON: DEFENDER OF THE UNIVERSE is getting the live action treatment. However, don't expect the same story of the anime because it doesn't look that way.

Currently in pre-production, the team of Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer, the duo who wrote the upcoming CONAN remake, are writing the screenplay.

Here's some concept artwork for the film, courtesy of the gang at JoBlo.com:

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/voltronexcl1.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/voltronexcl2.jpg

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/voltronexcl3.jpg

I'm guessing we're looking at a 2012 release date.

Edited by AlbertV

I'm totally down for a VOLTRON movie, but I'm not sure what I think of that concept art.

As they did with TRANSORMERS, the lions are no longer 'beefy' looking. They now look like alien/insects... so, that means, Voltron will basically look like a Michael Bay Decepticon by the time they transform him. (wait, I think I see Voltron in that very first picture... lol I was right... ) I see rib cages, and that red tiger looks.... it's too ravagy or something.

"That... that 'thing' in there. That ain't the Voltron" - Mad Max

Good news though. However, I'm still waiting for the Robotech/Macross movie (which will probably never happen).

Yeah, a friend of mine with a bit too much fondness for middling 80s cartoons was trying a bit too hard to convince me to give a fuck about this yesterday. Then they changed up and started talking about the Hasbro Channel as I prayed for death's sweet release.

I hope it's better than Micael Bay's eye candy transformer movies.

That's not eye candy, it's eye rat poison. Those films are as ugly on the outside as they are on the inside, to their very core. In all seriousness, I don't think it's even possible for VOLTRON to be that terrible if they made a conscious effort to do so, which admittedly seems to be the case here.

Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS films devalue the human race.

I enjoyed Voltron when I was younger so I will be looking forward to seeing this movie. But now as far as "The Transformers" go I did enjoy the 1st. movie the 2nd. one was a total let down, but I wouldn't call them rat poison!

That's not eye candy, it's eye rat poison. Those films are as ugly on the outside as they are on the inside, to their very core. In all seriousness, I don't think it's even possible for VOLTRON to be that terrible if they made a conscious effort to do so, which admittedly seems to be the case here.

Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS films devalue the human race.

I want to kiss you.

If its american made it won't be live action. It will be CGI, thats animation in my book.

What if it's both? Like Transformers?

People might question your book. ;)

What if it's both? Like Transformers?

People might question your book. ;)

From what I understand, it is planned to be a mix of live action and CGI a la Transformers.

Update from Dark Horizons:

Relativity Media has optioned the feature film rights for "Voltron" from World Event Productions and will adapt it into a live-action big screen film.

The 1984 cult-classic animated series "Voltron: Defender of the Universe" followed an elite battle force defends the fate of mankind in the spectacular action adventure.

Five young warriors are responsible for the future of the galaxy when they become pilots of a battalion of ultra-high-tech Robot Lions, powerful vessels with the ability to join together to form a fearsome mega-weapon known as “Voltron”.

Charles Roven, Jason Netter and Richard Suckle will produce. Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer are penning the script.

It's been over a decade and there is a new major update: Rawson Marshall Thurber ("Red Notice", "Skyscraper") will be co-writing and directing a live-action adaptation of Voltron. Warners, Universal and Amazon are among those competing to get the distribution rights. Thurber came up with the story and is co-writing with Ellen ShanmanBob Koplar, Todd Lieberman and David Hoberman will produce.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/voltron-live-action-movie-1235117594/

• Like 2