Myomoto Musashi 44'

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Ah, yes I know, it's Myamoto Musashi. This was a very short film. It must've been finished just before or after the tragic event of dropping atomic bombs on those, undeservedly unfortunate people, of that beautiful island of Japan.

It's, as most of the members who visit this thread know, a film adaptation of the foremost swordsman in Japan at the time, around the late 1500s. This swordsman is the author of The Book Of Five Rings, if I remember correctly. I have the book somewhere. All about "the way" of the sword. Great film, actually. A little gritty and beat up, but quickly moving storyline, and an as matter factly executed film. Though it does feel a bit rushed through. Musashi ends up looking for the famous swordsman Kojiro, who commited an act of disgrace and violence on a young brother and sister looking for revenge on another clan who Kojiro was friendly with. Musashi is requested by these two for lessons in swordplay to exact revenge, but they're rival clan discovers this and ask Kojiro for assistance in mudering these two, as well as Musashi, but Musashi goes on his way leaving the two in danger of this plan, unkowingly. I'll not give the end away, but this is a great film, being made in or "completed" in 1944 I picked this film up about three or four years ago and have finally viewed it. I hope someone remasters this one. I'm happy I picked it up.

Do I remember correctly, Kojiro, with Tatsuya Nakadai was remastered with english subs. Tatsuya does agreat job as Myamoto, though his role is short in the film, the last 40 mins or so are great. Actually, I really liked Kojiro. Another great film.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackLamaFaction

Yeah, I think it was Inagaki that made a version of Kojiro with Nakadai. I know it's available with english subs but I can't get a hold of it. Do you know where I can get one? On top of the 3 part samurai trilogy that Inagaki made on Musashi, I heard there was a 6 part saga made in the sixties by Uchida Tomo. Do you know if that was any good?

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Black Lama, I think it was kurotagai.com. Not sure about the spelling. Merlin @ samuraidvd.com or one of his rivals may've had it. It's been a while since I picked it up. I do remember another member of this forum informing me of a remastered version. It's just so much has happened since then I cannot remember who or where I was made aware it was available. It 's a wicked good film. Tatsuya is awesome in it, though he's not the leading man here, he does steal the show.

Archived