The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

sifu iron perm
54 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

I started thinking that maybe I was too harsh to the movie and should give it another go, but I guess not.

I'm much more intersted in RZA's Z Chronicles where he got Robert Tai to choreograph the action, wonder if that was ever completed and if anybody's seen it.

image.png.9ec1227aae990ff683ea44d891280081.png

That was ill, the Wu tang vs golden phoenix. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

I started thinking that maybe I was too harsh to the movie and should give it another go, but I guess not.

The sad thing is that I'm actually considering revisiting both movies now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

That was ill, the Wu tang vs golden phoenix. 

Can't even find that trailer anymore, surely somebody has to have some info on that.

8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

The sad thing is that I'm actually considering revisiting both movies now.

Not even sure if I've seen the sequel, guess it's even worse. Would be fun to rewatch now that I could recognize more faces and pick up more references. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

4 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Not even sure if I've seen the sequel, guess it's even worse.

A lot of members of this forum found it unwatchable. Since it had less recognizable talent in front of and behind the camera, my expectations were lower and I didn't hate it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One Armed Boxer
5 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Not even sure if I've seen the sequel, guess it's even worse.

Check out the dedicated thread here -

• Like 4

sifu iron perm
6 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Can't even find that trailer anymore, surely somebody has to have some info on that.

Not even sure if I've seen the sequel, guess it's even worse. Would be fun to rewatch now that I could recognize more faces and pick up more references. 

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I did the casting for both Man with Iron Fist 1 & 2, originally we shot a lot more martial arts and action for MWIF but Eli Roth was pushing for the blood and guts more than the kung fu when the edit came,  there was enough for pretty much two movies shot and there was talk about releasing it as two movies

The movie underwent some changes to say the least, when we began shooting Russell Crowe's Jackknife character was actually a villain, but when Russell Crowe decides he now wants to be the hero, Universal said ok!   

For part 2 we nearly had Scott Adkins joining the fun, as there was a Jack Knife'esque character in the earlier drafts that he would have been great for

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 10/30/2021 at 11:45 AM, Mike Leeder said:

I did the casting for both Man with Iron Fist 1 & 2, originally we shot a lot more martial arts and action for MWIF but Eli Roth was pushing for the blood and guts more than the kung fu when the edit came,  there was enough for pretty much two movies shot and there was talk about releasing it as two movies

The movie underwent some changes to say the least, when we began shooting Russell Crowe's Jackknife character was actually a villain, but when Russell Crowe decides he now wants to be the hero, Universal said ok!   

For part 2 we nearly had Scott Adkins joining the fun, as there was a Jack Knife'esque character in the earlier drafts that he would have been great for

Its really cool to see some of the people that worked on it on here! 

So that's why Russell Crowe's character being a good guy felt off to me. The way he butchered that man in the brothel, at the beginning of the film, defiantly felt like a villain move.  

On 10/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, Frank Bolte said:

Idk..I liked it 

Same. I thought it was a really fun film. 

• Like 3

My old review:

Man with the Iron Fists (2012) - Wow, that was underwhelming. And I won't even talk about the rushed plot, the foggy character motivations, the acting, the gore (which is too gruesome in the first half, and then gives way to more goofy CGI blood in the second), the bizarre costumes, or the soundtrack. I'll just talk about the action. It's so weak and forgettable that I can't imagine how this could be the same guy who worked on classics like My Father is a Hero and Yes, Madam!. Crap, even Cradle 2 the Grave was a long time ago. Nothing about the action Works, and we're talking about a movie that probably has the largest proliferation of exotic weapons since the Venom Mob days. You would never know that the RZA has trained in kung fu for years watching this, because his only major fight is more about the pro-wrestling moves than exchanges of complex handwork or anything like that. The fights frequently end before they even begin and with the exception of the opening brawl, they feel like more of an excuse to throw CGI blood and shoddy FX on the screen. And don't get me started on the finale, which is a travesty, and this coming from a set-piece that features a contingente of Chinese hookers in skimpy black outfits fighting with chainsaw silk ribbons! The big, important one-on-one's never really come to pass and everything else is just hurried through. I swear it's pathetic. I respect the RZA for wanting to make a Hollywood wuxia movie, but he failed big time here.

• Like 2