The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

I think they would use whatever budget they had to make the best movie they could, Sammo at his worst directorially (Dont Give A Damn???) or Yuen at his (True Legend??) are on a different planet to RZA in filmmaking terms...I think RZA's idea of directing is just pointing at a spot and saying "put the camera there...."and that's it.

Has Sammo ever had a $15 milllion budget to play with???, I dont reckon Pedicab cost that and it's his masterpiece...

I agree with your overall sentiment and think pretty highly of The Pedicab Driver but is nowhere near Sammo's best work imho. Just a few of the top of my head much better would include Knockabout, Prodigal Son, Dragon's Forever, Dreadnaught, Warriors Two and the Victim

sifu iron perm
I think they would use whatever budget they had to make the best movie they could, Sammo at his worst directorially (Dont Give A Damn???) or Yuen at his (True Legend??) are on a different planet to RZA in filmmaking terms...I think RZA's idea of directing is just pointing at a spot and saying "put the camera there...."and that's it.

Has Sammo ever had a $15 milllion budget to play with???, I dont reckon Pedicab cost that and it's his masterpiece...

Money versus ideas...this crapola had $15 million that's it...

easy my man..

remember this was the rza's debut with plenty of influence from Eli and QT. But i was still expecting something in true tribute to the genre he professes to adore and cherish..I was pretty shocked to see the fight scenes and also the man himself not showing any of his stuff, no demonstration on the big big screen????

who do we truly blame for the wack fight/action direction?

ShaOW!linDude
who do we truly blame for the wack fight/action direction?

Um......RZA!!!!! It's his stinkin' movie, ain't it? :tongue:

sifu iron perm
Um......RZA!!!!! It's his stinkin' movie, ain't it? :tongue:

very true to the word! He has to take full credit face value but we all know eli roth was guiding him on set..I can't see him (the rza) directing another picture..

As a movie it was decent to watch as I didn't have high expectations for it after seeing the trailer. But as a homage to old school kung fu movies it's pretty bad. There seemed to be too much going on too quickly with many characters, unneccessary overuse of blood and badly edited fight scenes with too many effects and close ups. Storywise the extended cut might be better but I doubt it will improve with the action. It's a shame all the real kung fu guys like Leung Kar Yan, Chen Kwan Tai and Gordon Liu didn't get more screen time to show what they could do. I did enjoy Lucy Liu's role in the movie and Russell Crowe seemed like he was having a great time with all the asian women!

I did notice that the fight with Bautista vs Rick Yune had music which sounded very much like it was taken from Legendary Weapons of China!

I cant blame RZA for the "choreography" itself, because he didnt do it...

but I can diss him for allowing a movie to be released that has worse fight action than ANY Gary Wzniewski (or however you spell his name) Thunderkick (THE WORLD'S greatest kicker,,,,REALLY???) movie....

and he's supposed to be a longtime fan which makes it worse to my eyes..

if he was just some bandwagon jumper, then it wouldnt bother me so much, and the very fact there's a 4 hour version of this makes me think he's deluded..

he should include it as an extra on the 4 hour director's cut Blu Ray, then at least you would see some proper action choreography after suffering through the "movie", I wonder if any other Kung Fu movie icon has a "cameo" in the "FULL masterpiece"???

maybe Cliff Lok scratching his arse as RZA strides by, or Fatty eating on a table next to Beardy's, Chan Wei Man in the whorehouse shaggin???

Who knows what amazing treats are instore...

sifu iron perm

i saw it on the big screen, anyone else noticed how tired looking the rza was? His eyes were puffy and just looked drained to bits!

im sure the missing scenes will include a lot of the back story of the characters. The back story of the blacksmith had potential was pretty funny in places..like a sketch show.

I hope they made and will include the training sequence, a conventional element in kung fu films..then again, the rza doesn't actually use any of his kung fu at all.

sifu iron perm
i just hope rza releases that ghetto in the back garden shapes movie he did that might get his respect back on this forum.

his music videos (tragedy and the night the earth cried) had better action than iron fists.

I can't imagine the extended cut has any extra action, I'm betting it's all RZA wandering about the countryside philosophizing on Barnes & Noble-level JKD theory, about how interesting it is that Chinese Kung Fu learned from nature, whereas the west etc. etc. Just kill me already.

i just hope rza releases that ghetto in the back garden shapes movie he did that might get his respect back on this forum.

to be fair did anyone really have respect for RZA who didn't like his music? To me he was just a celebrity who happened to supposedly love kung fu, who made money off the genre by putting out shit quality DVDs. for me he hasn't earned any respect, he's just another wannabe rap action star. With his connections and money he could've easily got a kung fu/martial arts project off the ground, on a reasonable budget, having some real talent. He just wanted to play the martial arts hero.:neutral:

to be fair did anyone really have respect for RZA who didn't like his music? To me he was just a celebrity who happened to supposedly love kung fu, who made money off the genre by putting out shit quality DVDs. for me he hasn't earned any respect, he's just another wannabe rap action star. With his connections and money he could've easily got a kung fu/martial arts project off the ground, on a reasonable budget, having some real talent. He just wanted to play the martial arts hero.:neutral:

Not just shit quality DVDs... the WORST!!!! after the third one i refused to buy any of them ever again. The prints were horrible and transfers a travesty. I believe he does love Kung Fu..

think of this movie.. if I gave you 20 million dollars and said go make a movie in china with kung fu stuff and you were 12....(and made up the story on set) this would be what happened.

Fanboy things can work if you have some talent.. but he simply is NOT a movie director so all you get is a fanboys dream of what could have been.

So, does Keanu Reeves actually have a love for the kung fu genre or is "Man of Tai Chi" going to be the next "Man with the Iron Fists?"

So, does Keanu Reeves actually have a love for the kung fu genre or is "Man of Tai Chi" going to be the next "Man with the Iron Fists?"

Isnt he having Yuen Woo Ping direct the action?

Keanu has decades of film experience (RZA has none) so it will probably be fine

Please Keannu has more $$$ ;-)

Not just shit quality DVDs... the WORST!!!! after the third one i refused to buy any of them ever again. The prints were horrible and transfers a travesty.

Yeah those Wu DVDs are pretty beat. I've either tossed or upgraded many.

Sad thing about this film is (in say 20yrs) it will probably be a "cult classic" amongst those who follow the Wu. Not necessarily by members here (who know what a good MA film is) but the mindless sheep who will buy anything that's affiliated with RZA or WuTang.

Reminds me of the 80's film Wild Style. A total piece o' shite production that now has a large cult following in the hip-hop world. Again, mindless sheep. Recall what Gordon Gekko said about sheep? :wink:

Sad thing about this film is (in say 20yrs) it will probably be a "cult classic" amongst those who follow the Wu. Not necessarily by members here (who know what a good MA film is) but the mindless sheep who will buy anything that's affiliated with RZA or WuTang.

Reminds me of the 80's film Wild Style. A total piece o' shite production that now has a large cult following in the hip-hop world. Again, mindless sheep. Recall what Gordon Gekko said about sheep? :wink:

Did you ever talk much with Lee Quiñones?

Did you ever talk much with Lee Quiñones?

A legend in the field. Only met him once I believe. A chance encounter in the Bronx --

back-in-the-day when he was photographing some of his new art on a #2 train.

A legend in the field. Only met him once I believe. A chance encounter in the Bronx --

back-in-the-day when he was photographing some of his new art on a #2 train.

Lee is the best thing about Wild Style. That got his name out there to the masses. Is Style Wars a better movie, in your opinion?

Lee is the best thing about Wild Style. That got his name out there to the masses. Is Style Wars a better movie, in your opinion?

Oh yeah. Much better. Even enjoyed the sequel.

Secret Executioner

What are those DVD releases from RZA/his band ? I know of a Blu-Ray release with 23 (really bad rips of) movies, a sort of interview and a behind-the-scene thing about Man With The Iron Fists (the most recent item listed in the box-set topic)

Regarding the movie, I haven't heard much of it except for this forum. I recently mentionned it to an employee of the movie theater I usually go to - asking if they were to screen it - and the guy seemed clueless.

Yang Wu Liang
Lee is the best thing about Wild Style. That got his name out there to the masses. Is Style Wars a better movie, in your opinion

I don't like to derail the thread but....... Grandmaster Flash tearing it up in his kitchen is the best thing about Wild Style!