The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

Does he? Was it decent?

It was kinda meh! I finally saw it and despite having some moments...I for one, liked the Gemini fight, but it's more a wait til DVD rental kind of movie. I wished they have done the four-hour (or turn into 2 movie) gimmick, but I blame the producers for that mistake!

Sad too cuz Dave Bautista is actually good with his hands. He trained in Kali and other Filipino martial arts, plus holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu. I can see him playing a MMA-style fighter in a future film.

sifu iron perm
It was kinda meh! I finally saw it and despite having some moments...I for one, liked the Gemini fight, but it's more a wait til DVD rental kind of movie. I wished they have done the four-hour (or turn into 2 movie) gimmick, but I blame the producers for that mistake!

Sad too cuz Dave Bautista is actually good with his hands. He trained in Kali and other Filipino martial arts, plus holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu. I can see him playing a MMA-style fighter in a future film.

RZA! ‏@RZA

"The Man with the Iron fists" in theaters for another 2 weeks in usa then goes foreign. Dvd extended version next year with 20+ min more fun

• Administrator
It was hard to tell. :sad:

Hmmm... thanks guys. :squigglemouth:

Is this doing good box office sales?

Its quickly fading. The first two weeks it was on over 1800 screens but that got halved at the start of its third week. First weekend was nearly $8M. The second weekend it dropped to $2.5M. Last weekend, it pulled in 700K. Monday was the first day it did less than 100K.

Its should surpass its budget of $15M by Thanksgiving but that's just US/Canada box office. It still has its foreign screenings which commence Nov 23 through Feb 21. Be curious to see how much it does abroad.

Its quickly fading. The first two weeks it was on over 1800 screens but that got halved at the start of its third week. First weekend was nearly $8M. The second weekend it dropped to $2.5M. Last weekend, it pulled in 700K. Monday was the first day it did less than 100K.

Its should surpass its budget of $15M by Thanksgiving but that's just US/Canada box office. It still has its foreign screenings which commence Nov 23 through Feb 21. Be curious to see how much it does abroad.

so what you're saying is it has failed:squigglemouth:

it's hardly likely to draw an audience in other Western countries to make this a success outside of the US.

reports of its budget was $20 million and Hollywood expects at least three times that in return. Go RZa:sad:

reports of its budget was $20 million and Hollywood expects at least three times that in return. Go RZa:sad:

I keep seeing different numbers for this. IMDb and Mojo put it down for $15. Wiki @ $20. Another source listed it @ $10 (but then the studio added $5M in post). One place I saw listed it at $32M! I'm guessing its safe to say in the 15-20 range but you're right, not a huge return at all despite having big names like Crowe and Liu. The DVD will add a couple bucks to the coffers but not nearly enough to make those suits in H-Wood thinking sequel.

Finally posted my review

Ultimate gave it a 2 out of 5 - there were a few pluses in there but was mostly...ehhh...but I blame the pressure of the producers...I think has the RZA been allowed to use the 4 hours of footage as a whole, his true vision would have been seen and more appreciated.

Finally saw this. Strange, because all of the talk of how bad it is. Much of it was indeed bad, but there was some good stuff here and there.

Russel Crowe is great in it, but man what a fat bastard he is!

Byron Mann, Rick Yune and Jamie Chung are three of the most horrible actors I've ever seen, but they've got nothing on...

The RZA. Wow. Bob Digi has one facial expression. His narration was terrible. "These motherfuckers had a Gatling gun."

Dave Bautista was actually better than I thought he'd be, despite his limited dialogue.

I suppose we all got amped up about RZA doing a kung fu movie, since he's such a fan, we were all expecting him to go all out with intricate choreography. But he didn't make a Kung fu movie. It's more like a 90's wu xia movie. 99% of the action is weapons based. The best moves were shown under the closing credits.

It's really obvious, from the jarring cuts and editing that much was left on the cutting room floor. The question is if any is put back in for home video release, will it make any difference?

sifu iron perm
Finally saw this. Strange, because all of the talk of how bad it is. Much of it was indeed bad, but there was some good stuff here and there.

Russel Crowe is great in it, but man what a fat bastard he is!

Byron Mann, Rick Yune and Jamie Chung are three of the most horrible actors I've ever seen, but they've got nothing on...

The RZA. Wow. Bob Digi has one facial expression. His narration was terrible. "These motherfuckers had a Gatling gun."

Dave Bautista was actually better than I thought he'd be, despite his limited dialogue.

I suppose we all got amped up about RZA doing a kung fu movie, since he's such a fan, we were all expecting him to go all out with intricate choreography. But he didn't make a Kung fu movie. It's more like a 90's wu xia movie. 99% of the action is weapons based. The best moves were shown under the closing credits.

It's really obvious, from the jarring cuts and editing that much was left on the cutting room floor. The question is if any is put back in for home video release, will it make any difference?

the dvd/blu-ray drops in feb-march.

it will feature left out material including flash back story plots etc.

the film was a mess. the cinematography and set pieces were spot on, very nice to watch visually. The fight scenes were a let down, in terms of homage to Kung Fu classic!

THe blacksmith flash back story was one of the funniest skits ive seen in ages, reminded me of the dave chappelle!!

the dvd/blu-ray drops in feb-march.

it will feature left out material including flash back story plots etc.

the film was a mess. the cinematography and set pieces were spot on, very nice to watch visually. The fight scenes were a let down, in terms of homage to Kung Fu classic!

THe blacksmith flash back story was one of the funniest skits ive seen in ages, reminded me of the dave chappelle!!

Well hopefully whatever is extra on the disc will be incorporated back into the movie, and not as deleted scenes.

Edit: Just saw on the Wu-Tang forum the specs for the bluray. Unrated version will be 12 minutes longer, plus 30:00 in deleted scenes as extras.

Deleted Scenes (30:00 min)

The Saga of Gold Lion

Jack Knife Journey Through Wolf Mountain

Zen Yi and Chan Make Camp

Blacksmith Doctors Zen Yi

Mirror Maze

Disc drops 2/12/13

Dammit .

I'm shocked that people think that more footage will save this film. to me Rza is just a shoddy director and a four hour cut will only give us extra hours of terrible film.

I do. If it wasn't for the obvious jumps in the story, it would be much better. I think after my initial dissapointment of it being a Kung fu movie with no Kung fu in it, it may be better on second viewing, taking it for what it is.

Yeah RZA can't act, but among the bad, there was good.

I have just watched this "movie" for free (thank F**k!!) and here's my opinion...

....apart from Chen Kuan Tai's brief and pointless cameo....(less said about Beardy the better) which at least sparked a brief glow of hope in me...

this is the...

THE....WORST....MOVIE...EVER....MADE!!!!

RZA please promise me you will never attempt to direct a movie ever again, everything about this movie sucks arse!!! fight choreography by Yuen Kwai....WHAT choreography??? acting, script, camera-work WHAT's THAT!!!

sifu iron perm
I have just watched this "movie" for free (thank F**k!!) and here's my opinion...

....apart from Chen Kuan Tai's brief and pointless cameo....(less said about Beardy the better) which at least sparked a brief glow of hope in me...

this is the...

THE....WORST....MOVIE...EVER....MADE!!!!

RZA please promise me you will never attempt to direct a movie ever again, everything about this movie sucks arse!!! fight choreography by Yuen Kwai....WHAT choreography??? acting, script, camera-work WHAT's THAT!!!

I can't debate anything you said there man, it was a mess and a waste of potential homage to the genre.

btw have you checked out the promo for an abondoned project the rza made ages ago? Wu tang vs the golden phoenix? Now that was a proper homage with decent shapes and other pieces.

Yeah I saw clips of RZA doing shapes with some of Gangly's crew and Chi Kuan Chun (Shapes got me their autographs which was awesome...cheers Tobe!!), not sure I'm right but some of that footage was included on some of the Wu-Tang DVD releases of Snake Step Lama Fist in the US.I remember RZA doing some pretty wicked head dodging to avoid Chi Kuan's glove work...

your right Iron Perm that footage had the right feel to it, cheapy looking as all Indie Kungs should look like, filmed in someone's back garden..

I know that there was a later thing with Lo Mang and his boys too, which I think had something to do with RZA too...

Will this "movie" stand as Gordon Liu's last film appearance??tragedy!!! and another thing I want to know is, if RZA has done all this "Shaolin" training and now Hung Gar training for the movie...WHY doesnt he do anything that looks like kung??

"Kill 'Em All" is, in theory, Gordon Liu's most recent film appearance. I'm not sure which one wrapped first but "Kill 'Em All" came out after "TMWTIF."

I havent seen the movie, but the fights and trailer for it certainly piss all over this lump of crap, what is Russell Crowe doing in it, and what a Fat Bastard he's become...

Hey RZA if you read this, a question for you...you could have used the budget to finance a real kung fu moviemaker (that's two things you know knothing about...) like, say my Idol Lau Kar Leung (the most important figure in my kung fu life) and let him make the last movie of his career however he wanted to....

or given Sammo Hung, THE greatest all round director/choreographer (sorry Pops but your pure KUNG and you know it...) in history the budget to cast all the greats, Jackie, Biao (hell ALL the little fortunes..) for the masterpiece WE all know (YOU RZA included) is still in his powers...

Instead you make THIS pointless, disrespectful (there's Chen Kuan Tai..oh he's already dead...did he do anything???...oh wicked there's Beardy...oh he's gone ...there's Gordon Liu..WTF!!!) piece of s**t!!!

Happy???

sifu iron perm
I havent seen the movie, but the fights and trailer for it certainly piss all over this lump of crap, what is Russell Crowe doing in it, and what a Fat Bastard he's become...

Hey RZA if you read this, a question for you...you could have used the budget to finance a real kung fu moviemaker (that's two things you know knothing about...) like, say my Idol Lau Kar Leung (the most important figure in my kung fu life) and let him make the last movie of his career however he wanted to....

or given Sammo Hung, THE greatest all round director/choreographer (sorry Pops but your pure KUNG and you know it...) in history the budget to cast all the greats, Jackie, Biao (hell ALL the little fortunes..) for the masterpiece WE all know (YOU RZA included) is still in his powers...

Instead you make THIS pointless, disrespectful (there's Chen Kuan Tai..oh he's already dead...did he do anything???...oh wicked there's Beardy...oh he's gone ...there's Gordon Liu..WTF!!!) piece of s**t!!!

Happy???

from some information i gathered..the rza sat down with few people who he wanted to do the action direction..sammo and yuen woo were both requested. Sammo rejected with the quickness and yuen woo was already busy with something else. I agree the fight scenes and set up of shots with each fights were shit..

like i said earlier, the project was wasted with potential..

To be honest I think Fatty and Yuen did the right thing, by refusing to work on this film, as all you would have is great action in a pathetic "movie", might have eased the torture of watching it...but you can polish a turd as much as you want but it will always be a turd!!! and this one REEKS!!!

But how awesome would it have been if RZA gave the budget for this crap to one of them (even though I hate True Legend, Yuen is a genius), acted as producer and let THEM make their own movie however they WANTED, I would be the first one applauding him instead of laughing at his "directing skill" as I am now...

This film allegedly cost five million. Forget Sammo and Yuen Woo Ping, hand that cash to Eric Jacobus and The Stunt People! Can you imagine the film they could make with that kind of budget?

Granted, I'd love to see Sammo, Woo Ping and Pops do a small, tight, straight up kung fu film but would they now? I imagine they would go bigger.

But, then again, any kind of news on a brand new Lau Kar Leung film would be enough to excite me.

sifu iron perm
This film allegedly cost five million. Forget Sammo and Yuen Woo Ping, hand that cash to Eric Jacobus and The Stunt People! Can you imagine the film they could make with that kind of budget?

Granted, I'd love to see Sammo, Woo Ping and Pops do a small, tight, straight up kung fu film but would they now? I imagine they would go bigger.

But, then again, any kind of news on a brand new Lau Kar Leung film would be enough to excite me.

if that's true where did the other 10 million go? So 5 milli went on just production and not actors etc?

I think they would use whatever budget they had to make the best movie they could, Sammo at his worst directorially (Dont Give A Damn???) or Yuen at his (True Legend??) are on a different planet to RZA in filmmaking terms...I think RZA's idea of directing is just pointing at a spot and saying "put the camera there...."and that's it.

Has Sammo ever had a $15 milllion budget to play with???, I dont reckon Pedicab cost that and it's his masterpiece...

Money versus ideas...this crapola had $15 million that's it...

if that's true where did the other 10 million go? So 5 milli went on just production and not actors etc?

Sorry, I was wrong. It did cost $15 million and so that's a budget a lot of people could work with.

I stand corrected.