The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

Wu Tang have a huge, worldwide following. I just think it's sad that a director would get cinematic kudos for the music he's made. I think Rza is talented as hell, but he hasn't proven himself behind a camera at all.

I wonder if he has more projects lined up because this film tested well in screenings?

Apparently he already has signed on to direct two more films, A Genghis Khan Biopic & a action/thriller ‘No Man’s Land’.

Giving him such a huge biopic certainly seems like an unusual move.

Guest Markgway
I don't live in America and Wu-Tang are very popular here and even more so in Europe.

Really? I'd never heard of them before coming on this forum. Never once remember them being mentioned when I was at school or college. Maybe they're more popular with today's teens? Still, hardly household names. I think I'm the only one in my entire family who would've even heard of RZA and I wouldn't recognise him on sight or sound.

Wu Tang have a huge, worldwide following. I just think it's sad that a director would get cinematic kudos for the music he's made. I think Rza is talented as hell, but he hasn't proven himself behind a camera at all.

I wonder if he has more projects lined up because this film tested well in screenings?

im gettin a serious Rob Zombie vibe here..... only different :tongue:

from my perspective, a lot of credit Rob would receive wasnt exactly warranted.

RZA on the other hand gets a totally prejudgemental treatment.

in the end, my money is on the RZA clockin in right where RZ is- theres supporters, theres haters, their respective works wont be anything great but ultimately not crap either (granted, halloween 2`s very very crappy imo).

sifu iron perm
Really? I'd never heard of them before coming on this forum. Never once remember them being mentioned when I was at school or college. Maybe they're more popular with today's teens? Still, hardly household names. I think I'm the only one in my entire family who would've even heard of RZA and I wouldn't recognise him on sight or sound.

they were huge in the 90's and grew into a brand. The wu tang brand swept urban america and popular culture! Even in europe also..

Didn't you even spot the skater kids rocking the wu tang logo hood tops?

Guest Markgway
they were huge in the 90's and grew into a brand. The wu tang brand swept urban america and popular culture! Even in europe also..

Must've passed Scotland by then...

I remember Ice Cube and Ice-T and Vanilla Ice and Ice Cream but no Wu Tang.

Guest Markgway
What cave have you been living in for the past 20 or so years? You obviously don't listen to hip hop music.

Obviously. I have taste. :xd:

That's nothing to do with being aware of hip hop/rap though.

I don't listen to Justin Beaver either, but I know who the little twerp is.

As a non fan I'd say I'm in a better position to judge Wu Tang Clan's penetration of the mainstream and from my experience it's very limited. But like I said that may have changed somewhat since I was in education (the 90s).

If I went out into the street and said 'who is RZA'? and 'would you go see a movie directed by him'? I can imagine a lot of head scratching going on... but then maybe the film will be a hit and I'll be proved wrong.

I don't think I'm wrong... I think the movie will flop (at least in the UK).

We'll see...

Obviously. I have taste. :xd:

That's nothing to do with being aware of hip hop/rap though.

I don't listen to Justin Beaver either, but I know who the little twerp is.

As a non fan I'd say I'm in a better position to judge Wu Tang Clan's penetration of the mainstream and from my experience it's very limited. But like I said that may have changed somewhat since I was in education (the 90s).

If I went out into the street and said 'who is RZA'? and 'would you go see a movie directed by him'? I can imagine a lot of head scratching going on... but then maybe the film will be a hit and I'll be proved wrong.

I don't think I'm wrong... I think the movie will flop (at least in the UK).

We'll see...

You're actually right. I was born and raised in Wales and, during the 90's, as a hip hop fan, I still had to look a little deeper than usual to uncover Wu Tang Clan. Sure, I was still able to buy posters for my walls as well as all their albums, but they were never a group with British mainstream presence.

In fact, they didn't really receive any attention until "Gravel Pit" hit the charts in the UK and that was literally their most mainstream song ever. But even fans of that song, "Pinky Ring" and ODB's "Got Ya Money" weren't looking for Gza's solo efforts and had no fucking clue as to who Bobby Digital was.

These days more people are familiar with the Wu and their extended "family" but, you might be right, the average person might not be able to tell you exactly who the Rza is. Christ, I listened to Wu Tang for about a year before I even knew his name was Rza.

As he's seeking to break away from music, I wonder if he will start actually using his real name. But then again, Ice-T, LL Cool J and Queen Latifah never did, so I'm not sure why Rza would.

Non Hip Hop affiliated filmfans should know RZA from scoring Jim Jarmusch's

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai (not to mention Kill Bill).

That statement is a bit bold, I think. Not all film fans pay attention to who scores the movies they watch. Also, "Ghost Dog" didn't really make waves when it first came out.

I just don't think Rza has had a huge cinema presence up until now. I enjoyed him in both "Funny People" and "American Gangster" but I wouldn't expect people to know him form those small roles.

@Drunken Monk: You're most likely right.

I am a Wu Tang fan since the mid90s and of course I checked RZA's earlier movie-detours.

I always liked his work in front and behind the camera....I really hope TMWTIF will have this certain Wu-ambience that I loved in Ghost Dog...Even though the fight scenes in the trailers didn't dazzle me I hope the film's atmosphere as a whole will be exactly my cup of tea.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Also big Wu fan back in ye' olde 90's......

Their early solo stuff was actually better than their group albums, if you ask me. Gza's Liquid Swords is probably one of the tightest rap albums of that era.

I actually thought Rza has been pretty solid in his acting stuff. But as a director and visionary for this movie, I have my doubts.

He does use his real name (Robert Diggs) in certain circumstances. Mostly being credited as a writer and executive producer. How could you listen to it and not know his name? They only announced themselves on damn near every track on their first album.

I heard of him before wutang when he was Prince Rakeem. Hes probably not as popular as the rest of the clan because hes not the greatest rapper and did alot of the beats. And his music starting going downhill with that Bobby Digital garbage. But wutang was popular worldwide even before the internet age. They revolutionized hip hop music. Method Man, ODB, and Ghostface Killah are/were probably the most popular and recognizeable.

bDT8OOkS_dc

On the first album, it always seemed to me that he referred to himself more as "The Abbot" than the Rza and so I called him "Abbot." It was only upon repeated listens and seeing him in interviews that I noticed what his real rap moniker was.

I had no idea about his Prince Rakeem alter ego until later on in his career. It's the same with Gza's "Words from the Genius" LP. It fell pretty easily beneath many radars.

Weirdly enough, he was actually my favourite emceee when I first became a fan of Wu Tang Clan. Something about that nasal, gruff tone made him unique in my eyes/ears. Even more so than Ol' Dirty Bastard which I know is hard to believe.

They did revolutionize hip hop, yes. The fact that the Wu family grew and grew was actually pretty insane. There are acts today, with one scratchy mixtape under their belt that are somehow part of the extend Wu Tang family.

sifu iron perm

RZA produced some of the greatest hip hop albums in history..

his 5 year plan with the wu tang was more than beneficial and a great achievement.

I recently shared a link to the iron fists soundtrack on here..the music speaks for itself.

Morgoth Bauglir

I became a Wu Tang fan after renting the Playstation Wu Tang Shaolin Style many many years ago. Still one of my favorite fighting games.

I became a Wu Tang fan after renting the Playstation Wu Tang Shaolin Style many many years. Still one of my favorite fighting games.

The question is did you have THIS....?

XO9HF.jpg

It looks like a cheap piece of crap, but for some reason I want one. .

It came with the game if you bought the special collector's edition. So did the crippling arthritis.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

i don't like RAP and that's a fact

don't like my face being attacked

I like a few RAP so how do you do

give me a Will Smith & I'll sing it to you

if I took to RAP what would you do

would that make us real buddies too

RAP RAP RAP are you 'TALKING TO ME'

nope nope nope I ain't talking to you I am 'TALKING TO ME'

now that you know I don't like RAP

are you going to stop are you going stop all that crap

GD Y-Y :xd: