The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

So, I turned on local radio station this morning and the RZA was in studio. Big surprise and I hardly live in a sprawling metropolis. Anyway, he was promoting his new flick of course and I was waiting for the opportunity to phone in. I had hope to ask him about his fu collection (and if he owned the elusive Magic Ring w/ Judy Lee) as well as invite him to our forum to answer criticism that his film was not old-school-cool enough.

Unfortunately the chance to call in never occurred and instead I had to listen to typical adolescent nonsense (that one normally hears when listening to "morning zoo" shows). "So... is this a remake of a Bruce Lee film?" "You must have seen a ton of BL films growing up?" (As there are "tons" right?) A good amount of time was spent discussing the Lucy Lui-in-the-tub scene.

To the average listener, it was just further dumbing down of our beloved genre. Too bad the chat with RZA didn't materialize. I bet he would have found it refreshing to talk with someone who knows there is more to fu than what Keanu (thinks he) knows.

I wouldn't doubt he's on this forum from time to time but I don't think he wants to hear what "us" oldschool KF fans think.

By the stills and trailer, this movie, imo, is already a dumbing down of the genre, it looks like a remake of mortal kombat to me. Lucy Lui is strait out of Kill Bill, and the armor guy is lifted out of the x-men. I have zero interest.

Now giving the way the studio suits work maybe he wanted to make something more old school but got the - that won't make money speech:neutral:

I wouldn't doubt he's on this forum from time to time but I don't think he wants to hear what "us" oldschool KF fans think.

By the stills and trailer, this movie, imo, is already a dumbing down of the genre, it looks like a remake of mortal kombat to me. Lucy Lui is strait out of Kill Bill, and the armor guy is lifted out of the x-men. I have zero interest.

Now giving the way the studio suits work maybe he wanted to make something more old school but got the - that won't make money speech:neutral:

I thought that he produced this independently and it was then picked up by whatever studio is releasing it? Maybe I'm wrong.

THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS will be far more special than THE RAID.

I am pretty sure it will be entertaining as hell.

I think it will be quite violent and trashy.

And the cast is amazing....Daniel Wu and Russell Crowe in a martial arts movie together....hello?

I'm sure many, many true members of this forum have passed this post by. It's clear you know nothing about martial arts cinema posting such crap. Russell Crowe in a martial arts movie. Let's be honest the whole sentence is completely wrong.:neutral:

So, I turned on local radio station this morning and the RZA was in studio. Big surprise and I hardly live in a sprawling metropolis. Anyway, he was promoting his new flick of course and I was waiting for the opportunity to phone in. I had hope to ask him about his fu collection (and if he owned the elusive Magic Ring w/ Judy Lee) as well as invite him to our forum to answer criticism that his film was not old-school-cool enough.

Unfortunately the chance to call in never occurred and instead I had to listen to typical adolescent nonsense (that one normally hears when listening to "morning zoo" shows). "So... is this a remake of a Bruce Lee film?" "You must have seen a ton of BL films growing up?" (As there are "tons" right?) A good amount of time was spent discussing the Lucy Lui-in-the-tub scene.

To the average listener, it was just further dumbing down of our beloved genre. Too bad the chat with RZA didn't materialize. I bet he would have found it refreshing to talk with someone who knows there is more to fu than what Keanu (thinks he) knows.

Teako, I'm sure had you the opportunity to speak to the operators about the subject your thoughts would've been casually screened out. "We" are not the target audience, the target audience can probably count the number of Jackie Chan, jet Li, Donnie Yen etc etc movies they have seen that were made before Rush-Hour on one hand

I'm sure many, many true members of this forum have passed this post by. It's clear you know nothing about martial arts cinema posting such crap. Russell Crowe in a martial arts movie. Let's be honest the whole sentence is completely wrong.:neutral:

What's the problem?

You have your opinion and I have my point of view.

At the end it's a matter of taste.

Martial arts cinema is a very important thing for me since childhood and you dare to tell me I know nothing about it just because of a different opinion? Or just because of one single post? Who r u?

And drawing a distinction between "true members" and "pseudo members" is nothing but nazishit....

What's the problem?

You have your opinion and I have my point of view.

At the end it's a matter of taste.

Martial arts cinema is a very important thing for me since childhood and you dare to tell me I know nothing about it just because of a different opinion? Or just because of one single post? Who r u?

And drawing a distinction between "true members" and "pseudo members" is nothing but nazishit....

Fair enough it's your opinion and I was over the top but really Daniel Wu and Russell Crowe in a martial arts movie together make this amazing how? Has RC legendary skills we've never seen? I must've missed his MA movies. I take it you've seen the trailer, right?:neutral: And this looks amazing? You saw great looking martial arts sequences? Did I blink and miss those?:wink:

So how will this be more special than The Raid? Honestly Andi how much positivity has there been since seeing the trailers on this thread? Nearly everyone here's raving about The Raid, highly anticipated by most members in it build up to release. Yet I think any love being shown here is from RZA music fans blinded to the clearly obvious. Anyhow enjoy the film, someone has to, it may as well be an RZA fan .

No bad blood. :smile:

I think MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS has a remarkable cast and high-level talents behind the camera. The actionscenes in the trailer did NOT spark me, but the whole project is far more interesting (in my opinion) than THE RAID.

I grow up watching hard hitting Sammo stuff and that's still the best i've ever seen....THE RAID is hard hitting too and that's why i esteem it, but the RZA-flick is far more unpredictable....

My most anticipated films at the moment are:

-MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS

-DJANGO UNCHAINED

-SKYFALL

If I could watch one of them tonight....i think i would choose RZA's film.

have to say I think the flick looks terrible, almost a pastiche more than any kind of tribute to Kung Fu Fliks, or Shaw's movies, the fact that there's not one shot of any decent martial arts action says masses about what will be on display...

the idea of Russell Crowe (an actor I admire) pulling "Kung Fu Moves" fills me with despair...

that said if the above poster andi81 thinks it looks awesome, he has the right to air that opinion, everyone is entitled to that....hope it lives up to your expectations

I don't think there is anything wrong with Russell Crowe being in this movie, the movie is what it is, people should like it for what it is and not for what it isn't. Every upcoming martial arts movie is trashed on this forum before the movie is even released and is perhaps the reason why the same people don't enjoy them. There is at least a dozen reasons why a martial arts movie fan should look forward to this movie.

I was the one who said that the cast is remarkable.

A film starring Pam Grier, Daniel Wu, Gordon Liu, Chen Kuan Tai, Leung Kar Yan, Lucy Liu, Russell Crowe and many more is no daily routine stuff....

A great cast does NOT make a great movie, but it is something special....I think that's something you can't deny...

The film has the right to be anticipated!

I emphasized the fact that I am NOT sparked by the trailer's fightscenes, but I never expected THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS to be an above-standard fightorgy...

I want to see the film because of its overall flavour and atmosphere.

I think it will be an interesting experiment of a first-time filmmaker and kung-fu-film-lover.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Russell Crowe being in this movie, the movie is what it is, people should like it for what it is and not for what it isn't. Every upcoming martial arts movie is trashed on this forum before the movie is even released and is perhaps the reason why the same people don't enjoy them. There is at least a dozen reasons why a martial arts movie fan should look forward to this movie.

This is a kung fu cinema forum. The Rza, for years, has been considered a man who knows his kung fu cinema. Who loves the genre and shares that love with people like us. It was exciting, from the get go, to think that a fellow fan - a true fan - would have the opportunity to make a real kung fu film.

We are voicing our disappointment. Fine, it's a move. Fine, it has Russell Crowe in it. But as fans of the genre, we can certainly speak out about a trailer that features NOTHING we would come to expect from a true fan. Hollywood cast or not.

We don't trash upcoming films...we lament. Every time a new martial arts film is released and, once again, refuses to hit those beats that have made this genre so exciting, we'll talk about it.

Why do you think "The Raid" had us all in spasmodic glee? Because it hit those beats. It gave us the raw action of an 80's Sammo film. It gave us a two-on-one battle that seemed like it was three days long.

This isn't a form for us to say, "Well, as a film bogged down by the scruples of Hollywood, this looks quite good." We're here to praise the genre and to hope it, once again, gets back to something resembling its golden era.

Ask me as a movie fan, what I think about "The Man with the Iron Fists" and I'll happily tell you that it looks like a solidly fun romp. It looks like a silly-yet-enjoyable ninety minutes to spend my time. Hell, I might even like the film.

But as a kung fu cinema fan, I will express that I am painfully disappointed with the footage I have seen so far. It seems like derivative, campy, wink-wink-nudge-nuge trash cinema and not the well made, considerate kung fu piece I thought it might be.

We're fans of the genre and there is only one thing we like more than kung fu films...GOOD kung fu films. We're bound to - nay, make it our duty to - express our chagrin at anything that holds a veritable goldmine of potential and then delivers rusty old schtick.

I was the one who said that the cast is remarkable.

A film starring Pam Grier, Daniel Wu, Gordon Liu, Chen Kuan Tai, Leung Kar Yan, Lucy Liu, Russell Crowe and many more is no daily routine stuff....

A great cast does NOT make a great movie, but it is something special....I think that's something you can't deny...

The film has the right to be anticipated!

I emphasized the fact that I am NOT sparked by the trailer's fightscenes, but I never expected THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS to be an above-standard fightorgy...

I want to see the film because of its overall flavour and atmosphere.

I think it will be an interesting experiment of a first-time filmmaker and kung-fu-film-lover.

And how much of that cast will be made up of cameo roles? Don't get me wrong, I understand the love for the acting talent on board. Who wouldn't? But for me, that makes this film (or, rather, the trailer) even more frustrating. Such talent! So many legends! And they're doomed to star in what seems like a novelty film that inherits none of the spark these legends' resumes are made up of.

Again, I'm not saying I'll boycott the film. I'll go ahead and say I might actually like it, but, from the trailer alone, I am disappointed. I expected so much more and, as yet, it has not delivered. I mean, come on, it says something that I'm looking forward to Keanu Reeves' directorial effort more than Rza's.

odioustrident

Nobody has seen the film yet; the actual exchanges, the core of the fight choreography, are not shown in any trailer. Not much to really be disappointed about until we see the film. It is safe to say it will have its moments.

Well said Drunken Monk. Well said.

This is a kung fu cinema forum. The Rza, for years, has been considered a man who knows his kung fu cinema. Who loves the genre and shares that love with people like us. It was exciting, from the get go, to think that a fellow fan - a true fan - would have the opportunity to make a real kung fu film.

We are voicing our disappointment. Fine, it's a move. Fine, it has Russell Crowe in it. But as fans of the genre, we can certainly speak out about a trailer that features NOTHING we would come to expect from a true fan. Hollywood cast or not.

We don't trash upcoming films...we lament. Every time a new martial arts film is released and, once again, refuses to hit those beats that have made this genre so exciting, we'll talk about it.

Why do you think "The Raid" had us all in spasmodic glee? Because it hit those beats. It gave us the raw action of an 80's Sammo film. It gave us a two-on-one battle that seemed like it was three days long.

This isn't a form for us to say, "Well, as a film bogged down by the scruples of Hollywood, this looks quite good." We're here to praise the genre and to hope it, once again, gets back to something resembling its golden era.

Ask me as a movie fan, what I think about "The Man with the Iron Fists" and I'll happily tell you that it looks like a solidly fun romp. It looks like a silly-yet-enjoyable ninety minutes to spend my time. Hell, I might even like the film.

But as a kung fu cinema fan, I will express that I am painfully disappointed with the footage I have seen so far. It seems like derivative, campy, wink-wink-nudge-nuge trash cinema and not the well made, considerate kung fu piece I thought it might be.

We're fans of the genre and there is only one thing we like more than kung fu films...GOOD kung fu films. We're bound to - nay, make it our duty to - express our chagrin at anything that holds a veritable goldmine of potential and then delivers rusty old schtick.

I don't necessarily agree, I too am a fan of the genre and have been for over 25 years but it doesn't mean I have to bash movies before I even see them just because it doesn't feature Sammo Hung circa 1985 choreography.

I don't necessarily agree, I too am a fan of the genre and have been for over 25 years but it doesn't mean I have to bash movies before I even see them just because it doesn't feature Sammo Hung circa 1985 choreography.

Trailers exist to give us a taste of a movie. That's what they're there for. i love Will Ferrell, watched the trailer for "The Campaign" and said, "Wow, that looks awful." Why? Because it didn't have the jokes. It didn't have what I wanted.

I enjoy Rza's work. I like Russell Crowe. I love Gordon Liu, but the trailer - a thing that's meant to entice viewers - did not entice me. Could I be proven wrong? Oh absolutely. I could walk out of this film with a new kung fu favourite but, for now, I reserve the right to judge the potential of the film on what the trailer gives me...which seems to be a flying Lucy Liu.

Did I mention I saw Bangkok Revenge in theaters???

I'm putting together a Kickstarter page to ensure you get the therapy you need.

loempiavreter

Russel Crowe is not gonna perform any shapes style fighting in this flick. He's a brawler and is not gonna show a chinese kung fu system, but in fact gonna be relying on his weapon, the daggerized pistol, then on his fist. The trailer is cut for a mainstream audience and relies more on selling the familiar faces (and tarantino's name) and "cool" CGI tricks (that's what the suits think will sell to the kids of today) then showcasing the fight choreography. Believe there is more under wraps, RZA doing beardy's iron cross style has me curious, i dont think this will be a wuxia flick with much flying (even withe prospect of lucy liu gliding down the air).

BTW Im not a RZA fan, Im not even that big of a fan of the hip hop genre (i appreciate the music they often sample). Im a fan of the look of most characters as it reminds of the more colorful flicks from the likes as The Venom Mob (the story from this flick is a wink to Kid with the golden arm), Avenging Eagle/To Kill a Mastermind, Roc Tien, Adam Cheng, Polly Shang Kuan, Pearl Cheung Ling, Jimmy Wang Yu and a lot of Joseph Kuo's flicks :)

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=187

Go back 10 years to be generous. When was the last time he excited or impressed you? Look at the movie he just did tht came out this year. Its on YT. Watch it and tell me I should be excited that he's the AD. Plus Daniel Wu is in this. Uh uh.

Weirdly, I loved "Shaolin" but everything else he's done recently has been pretty dismal. He seems to get worse with wires the older he gets.

I would have thought that the Rza would have chosen a better choreographer. Unless, of course, it was more about budget constraints and availability. Woo Ping, for example, seems to have three hundred projects on his plate at any one time.