The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

we do have beardy chen kwun tai and gordon liu in this so there has to be some real kung fu somewhere., looks like i will be going to the cinema twice this year :bigsmile:

Drunken Monk
Awf6MhiCMAEvol_.jpg

This was the snippet that pissed me off so much. Why must everyone try to pull off some kind of original CGI assisted action? It looks dumb.

On the other hand, having had the opportunity to view the trailer as suggested and not filmed on a camera someone crammed up their butt, I look forward to the film for the most part...just not the elements I hoped it would have. I just don't think this is the Shaw Brothers/golden era kung fu homage I wanted. It looks more "House of Flying Daggers" and less "Daggers 8."

loempiavreter

I think it looks interesting, there's a lot of cool gadget-like weaponary going in that trailer, just like you'll find in some classic Shaw bros. or Taiwanese swordplay flicks.

Think lots of people went into the movie with the wrong expectations, yeah RZA is a big fan of the classic work. But he already stated in interviews that this flick was going to be less Shaw Bros. and more Once Upon a Time in China (ok i don't really see it in here as well, but tbh I don't care that much about OUATIC... so i'm quite satisfied at what I see here).

But personally I can't wait to see this flick.

loempiavreter

I just realized how similar the setup of this flick is with "The kid with the golden arm". A transport of gold is the target for several clans, duo's and individuals (ok in kid with golden arms only has gang assaulting the cargo). I see a bit of an amalgation of several venom flicks in MWTIF. Life's gamble, crippled avengers as well next to KWTGA. The title also sounds similar to The kid with the golden arm.

blue_skies
I just realized how similar the setup of this flick is with "The kid with the golden arm". A transport of gold is the target for several clans, duo's and individuals (ok in kid with golden arms only has gang assaulting the cargo). I see a bit of an amalgation of several venom flicks in MWTIF. Life's gamble, crippled avengers as well next to KWTGA. The title also sounds similar to The kid with the golden arm.

and instead of the awesome talent of the venoms we have CGI, special effects and Hollywood stars:squigglemouth:

I was not excited by the trailer at all... it looks like a mess. This was only reinforced today when I saw an interview with RZA at Comic Con and he stated the film is 96 minutes, edited down from FOUR HOURS!!!

Way too much CGI, I'll pass on this one. Agree also with Michael's comment, it looks all over the place. RZA should maybe stick to music.

The thing is if it makes money it'll set up a whole trend in overly FX'ed contrived pseudo-kung fu flicks. They are already talking trilogy. At least the soundtrack shouldn't suck.

For all the naysayers out there....Lau Kar Fai is in this flick. Now, that doesn't necessarily say a lot these days, given his CGI performance in The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, but this most certainly could be his last film role, given his stroke. I don't even know how big his role is.

I do, however, hate knowing it was so long and maybe two movies and then was cut down so much. Seven Swords was originally 4 hours and was cut to about 2:30 or so and it definitely has parts that seem to be missing things.

I'm not a fan of a lot of Kill Bill, but I do generally like Tarantino films, so I'll watch this for sure. Plus....RZA! Lucy Liu!

One Armed Boxer

The second trailer for this movie has just been released....and as much as I hoped the lesson was learnt from the first one and that this one will highlight some good one on one kung-fu....unfortunately it's not a whole lot different from the first, with perhaps the addition of even more CGI blood, and it doesn't even look that well done.

On a final note, is it just me, or do both of the trailers that have been released for this contain hardly any footage of the actual 'Man With the Iron Fists'....RZA!? Considering he's the title character, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is a Russell Crowe & Lucy Liu starring vehicle from what's been put out there.

VOCVE9ykh9Y