The Man With the Iron Fists (2012) The RZA

AlbertV

Wutang Clan rapper and movie score musician The RZA is going to make his directorial debut with a martial arts film entitled The Man with the Iron Fist. A big fan of the old school kung fu films, The RZA is both writing and helming the film. He learned the art of directing from buddy Quentin Tarentino for years and I'm taking a shot at this from the article, but Eli Roth (HOSTEL I & II) is getting involved in the film, possibly as a producer???

Here's the article:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080707i.php

SlothStyleKungFu

Well, he said he was directing before. "Bobby Digital: The Movie" anyone? :D

I have always been impressed with his old school knowledge. The half-baked (no pot pun intended) way he embraces the hokey Westernized views of Asian philosophies (like the whole Philosophy of Wu Tang Manual mishmash) makes me think it could go either way- intentionally or unintentional cheesy.

Getting a good action choreographer is the first plus. Lets just hope the cast doesn't sound like a made for BET flick. No racism intended, you know what I mean, a low budget, rapper cast flick, aimed purely at that demographic.

SlothStyleKungFu
well its a kung fu film so i doubt it.

Uhhh, I think it is naive to think otherwise. Who's gonna' greenlight a first time directed action flick by freaking Rza and not expect it to be, for lack of a better term, "urban." At this stage, it is just the logical assumption. Besides how many pure kung fu films are getting made in the US these days?

Once the premise and cast is announced, it'll be clearer what he's aiming for, but with Roth and Tarantino on board, odds are its either going to Lionsgate or the Weinstein Co vehicle which doesn't bode well for its theatrical prospects (probalby go DTV) and both have shown (especially Weinstiens) that they panderingly sell action films to the "urban" market.

doug maverick
Uhhh, I think it is naive to think otherwise. Who's gonna' greenlight a first time directed action flick by freaking Rza and not expect it to be, for lack of a better term, "urban." At this stage, it is just the logical assumption. Besides how many pure kung fu films are getting made in the US these days?

Once the premise and cast is announced, it'll be clearer what he's aiming for, but with Roth and Tarantino on board, odds are its either going to Lionsgate or the Weinstein Co vehicle which doesn't bode well for its theatrical prospects (probalby go DTV) and both have shown (especially Weinstiens) that they panderingly sell action films to the "urban" market.

so umm....... it has to be urban for it to be green lit wow you sound dumb dude sorry but you do. kinda biased too. from what i'm hearing its going to be a hard core kung fu film. not an "urban" film like this moron seems to think. first of all they can make the film independently and secure financing from other places,depending on where you film he can actually get paid by a state to film in it. new mexico gives filmmakers 12 million dollar loan to film companies provided they shoot in state limits and use resident film crews. canada has a similar deal. with names like eli roth and maybe even tarrintino attached getting financing for the film and distribution for the film won't be a problem. even heard that ridly scott might get involved in the film but thats highly speculative. don't judge a book by its cover buddy. filmmakers make the films they want to make. this is a new age of filmmaking where the studio's don't hold as much power as they once did.

SlothStyleKungFu
so umm....... it has to be urban for it to be green lit...

I never said it has to be. I just said it’s a concern. It is not an unlikely thing a studio would push for, oh I don’t know, because every rapper-director has gone that route and its an easier sell considering thats the only background they have to qualify for Rza helming a film.

Me expecting, and saying anyone else should expect, Rza to make an urban leaning kung fu film is that same as my surmising the Wachowski’s planned ninja flick will be slick and over-produced, that Ang Lee would make something martial arthouse, David Mamet would make something less action and more low key dramatic, or that Weird Al would make a kung fu parody because that is their freakin’ background and their familiar element.

...with names like eli roth and maybe even tarrintino attached getting financing for the film and distribution for the film won't be a problem....

Like I said, therefore, then its likely to be Lionsgate or Wienstiens because thats who the two have always produced for and never anyone else in their entire careers. Both of those companies have had trouble lately, especially with tentpole release genre films, so my imagining it ending up a limited release and possibly DTV is not some far out possibility.

...they can make the film independently and secure financing from other places,depending on where you film he can actually get paid by a state to film in it. new mexico gives filmmakers 12 million dollar loan to film companies provided they shoot in state limits and use resident film crews. canada has a similar deal...

See above in regards to it being indie (Besides do you know the massive red tape you gotta’ go through with those programs? You actually have tighter screws with those than you do with a typically financed production). While we are making transparent speculation, we might as well also assume it is just as likely that the Russian mafia invests 25 million in the flick and insist that it be shot in the Ukraine and have supporting roles for T.A.T.U. We just don’t know yet.

...filmmakers make the films they want to make. this is a new age of filmmaking where the studio's don't hold as much power as they once did...

Film is still a highly expensive medium and if you think any film maker, especially a relative novice, is just going to get a couple of million to make an action flick with no scrutiny, you aren’t living in the real world. I guess my point was theres not any renaissance going on in the US where true blue, old school, action genre films are getting made left and right. I want there to be one, maybe Rza can do it, but since all the evidence is to the contrary, I choose to be a little skeptical.

...wow you sound dumb dude sorry but you do. kinda biased too. from what i'm hearing its going to be a hard core kung fu film. not an "urban" film like this moron seems to think...

Well, you can call me ‟dumb‟ and ‟moron‟ all you want for my innocent speculation, fact remains there was substance to my harmless worry, more than any of your hollow defense. The film’s a mystery and not even greenlit anyway, so we’ll just cross our fingers and hope a decent film gets madem be it styled old school, new school, whatever.

doug maverick

another thing. i know what it takes to go through with those state sponsored programs i worked on two films that have used them. its not that hard at all nor constraining.

also about your novice comment. many a first time feature film director have been giving big time budgets.off the strength of shorts music videos and other work. i know for a FACT that rza has alot of little short films with the students at shi yang ming's new york based shaolin temple. because i've seen them two of my friends actually worked on the choreagraphy for the gravel pit video. so i know the type of film he's going to make. it wasn't what you said its how you said it.

and about your director comment. how many rapper directors are there. none probably, i can't think of not one.

i agree with you on the limited release or direct dvd. its a high possibillty considering that this might be a two hour blood fest.

you should try to find and take a look at the tragedy video by the rza. it'll give you a small idea of what this film maybe like.

alright enough i hate stupid forum battles. so lets end this here. nd wait and see when more info is released and then discuss. agreed

doug maverick

this is a video directed by the rza in hong kong back in the mid 90's he always talked about making a film out of this video. so i'm thinking iron fist may be similar to to this.

here's another rza directed video featuring bookeem woodbine. who is also a long time student of shi yan ming.

actually i just remmebered back in the late 90's early2000's rza did a direct to video bobby digital film. i haven't seen it so i can't comment.

Also, RZA's movie the vast majority of the movies he has been involved in haven't been 'urban' such as Kill Bill, Derailed, American Gangster, Ghost Dog, Afro Samurai, Blade etc.. Not the same as Directing but just a few examples.

I am looking forwars to this

doug maverick

well american gangster is an urban film. cause its set in an urban back ground with urban themes such as drug dealing. so that is an urban film.

this is a video directed by the rza in hong kong back in the mid 90's he always talked about making a film out of this video. so i'm thinking iron fist may be similar to to this.

here's another rza directed video featuring bookeem woodbine. who is also a long time student of shi yan ming.

actually i just remmebered back in the late 90's early2000's rza did a direct to video bobby digital film. i haven't seen it so i can't comment.

nobody has seen the bobby digital movie, it was never released

the only glimpses of it you can get are in the trailer for it and the cobra clutch video, both of which can be found on youtube. allegedly it was never even finished, although I've read 'insider' reviews that refer to a complete product.

Shooting begins in Shanghai this December. The film will mark the directorial and starring debut of The RZA, former member of the Wutang clan. A martial arts enthusiast and movie scoremaker extraordinaire, the RZA will play a blacksmith in feudal China who becomes a martial arts hero. Here comes the big news announced on Monday in regards to the film:

Russell Crowe has signed on to the film, possibly as the film's villain. The RZA told E! Online that Crowe has signed on and he is currently training in martial arts for his role in the film. Here's the article on Crowe's signing on: E! Online

Eli Roth (HOSTEL) is producing and co-writing the screenplay with the RZA on the film. The film would mark the 3rd collaboration between Crowe and the RZA after AMERICAN GANGSTER and THE NEXT THREE DAYS.

Universal Pictures will be releasing the film in 2011.

As much as I want to be excited about this, I'm not sure I have the faith in the Rza that some people have. I look forward to seeing how this comes out and, considering Rza's alleged martial arts connections, I'd certainly like to see some great cameos and a top quality choreographer.

Watching clips of Wu-Tang vs Golden Phoenix on youtube, it looks pretty rough. But the weapon-work looked pretty decent. I don't really care too much for the cgi effects.

Hopefully, Eli Roth and a bigger budget will equate to a higher quality of movie.

EDIT: There is already a thread for this in another section

Russell Crowe will be starring in a new kung fu movie, co-starring and directed by RZA, and developed by Quentin Tarantino. I heard that RZA was working on a kung fu movie previously but this is an unusual turn..

http://yourmovies.com.au/news/?i=193498&action=news

"Russell Crowe "will knock you out", says rapper"

Russell Crowe is set to star in the kung fu movie The Man With the Iron Fist.

If that casting news sounds strange, the story gets stranger.

The film will be directed by Wu-Tang Clan rapper RZA, who will also co-star with Crowe.

Quentin Tarantino has been developing the film for years, and will assist RZA in bringing the project to the screen.

At the MTV Video Music Awards, RZA revealed what audiences can expect from Crowe.

"I won't spoil it for you, but Russell's gonna be the baddest man alive," he said.

"That man is in fighting shape. That man will knock you out."

OpiumKungFuCracker

This shit is gonna be gangsta!!! Russell Crowe is a bad ass Aussie and having Tarantino, Rza involve is going to be good shit, can't wait!!!