Korean Wuxia

daTOAD

Watched The Restless a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Though familiar with Korean cinema[crime, action, and drama] , im new to their martial arts movies. As i said , ive seen The Restless[ which i loved], Blades of Blood[ok], The Sword With No Name[ok]. Can anyone reccomend more Korean wuxia to me. Thanks

• Like 2

You know i had forgot Musa was Korean. I watched this a long time ago. I remember it being pretty good. I'll be looking for Shadowless Sword tday. Thanks.

• Like 1

Bichunmoo

Shadowless Sword

Duelist (a bit too arty for some)

Sword In The Moon

The Legend Of Evil Lake

Frozen Flower

As usual the kingofkungfu2002 is right on target !

This list plus some of the ones you mentioned yourself daTOAD is the best ones ..Like the Restless etc..

The main problem is that this Korean genre is too small...I love these movies,their unique look & style of storytelling but it is hard to find many many more like them.

I could not even make a list of 25 yet ! Maybe more will come out but it seems some of them is not as popular in Korea as they are internationally. The Korean market appears to be geared towards more modern time periods & with a preference towards ( romantic) comedies...

Hopefully this will change ! But please anyone who can add to these lists with more titles i will be very grateful too !! Thank you !!

Xiexie, Athena ..♥

• Like 1

The Divine Weapon. The hero starts out very self-serving, but he's skilled with the sword, and gradually changes his mind about helping free Korea from Chinese oppression. The movie also has romance, some comedy, and the weapon itself is out of Korean history.

• Like 1

The Divine Weapon. The hero starts out very self-serving, but he's skilled with the sword, and gradually changes his mind about helping free Korea from Chinese oppression. The movie also has romance, some comedy, and the weapon itself is out of Korean history.

Thank you whitesnake !

I did a quick search on it & it looks like just the stuff I am looking for ...Great !

Any more suggestions ? BTW Where do you get most of your Korean Movies at ??

Thank you ,Athena..♥

• Like 1

Another Korean title is Legend of Gingko (aka The Gingko Bed 2), but I haven't seen it yet. Some of the Korean DVDs get stocked at Sun Entertainment in SF Chinatown. (I picked up Frozen Flower there, thinking it was Divine Weapon. The box had no title in English, but the DVD has English subs.) Some are available at a karaoke store on the south side of Sac. HKFlix gets a few titles (Blades of Blood just got listed there). Even my local comicbook store had Duelist and The Restless DVDs in stock.

The Restless played on Comcast on Demand in August (under Sundance free movies, I think). Before these movies (and some action tv series) started being available, most of what you could find for Korean historicals was boring court dramas.

• Like 1

ToothbrushFu
Another Korean title is Legend of Gingko (aka The Gingko Bed 2), but I haven't seen it yet.

I remember this being quite entertaining, although I wouldn't classify it as a particularly good movie. There is a lot of melodrama to go with the action, but it does have Lost's Kim Yun-jin as a badass archer - when she shoots people they explode! :bigsmile:

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 10/8/2010 at 7:41 AM, whitesnake said:

Another Korean title is Legend of Gingko (aka The Gingko Bed 2), but I haven't seen it yet.

Although not technically a wuxia, I'll put it in this thread since I'd recommend anyone considering to watch 'The Legend of Gingko' to check out the original, 'The Gingko Bed', first. Largely considered to be the first Korean blockbuster to successfully use CGI, I recently revisited this slice of 1995 nostalgia, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-gingko-bed-1995-review/

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 1/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, wuxiaman said:

I recommend Memories of the Sword (2015). I really like the performances in this movie.

Different strokes for different folks! I was really disappointed with this one. You wait 16 years for Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon to appear in a movie together again, and this is what we get! I reviewed it back at the time of its release in 2015, which you can check out via the link -

https://cityonfire.com/memories-of-the-sword-2015-review-aka-female-warrior-memory-of-sword/

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Different strokes for different folks! I was really disappointed with this one. You wait 16 years for Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon to appear in a movie together again, and this is what we get! I reviewed it back at the time of its release in 2015, which you can check out via the link -

https://cityonfire.com/memories-of-the-sword-2015-review-aka-female-warrior-memory-of-sword/

That review reminds me of how my friends from Korea were surprised that Lee Byung Hun returned so soon after the scandal. My other friends were more confused as to how that would affect him more than the two women who tried to blackmail him (their opinion is that folks in Hollywood would blackmail others over more real damaging things). Different culture, different reactions!

• Like 3

1996's The Gate Of Destiny, it's nothing spectacular but it's something a bit different for 90's Korean action. Action directed by my man Won Jin "The Scorpion King" who also did action for Sword In The Moon which has already been mentioned and is well worth a watch.

The Gate Of Destiny cover 1.JPG

• Like 4

On 1/5/2021 at 1:56 AM, wuxiaman said:

I recommend Memories of the Sword (2015). I really like the performances in this movie.

I'm afraid I'm with @One Armed Boxer here. Seeing Kim Go-eun running through that sunflower field gave me hope, but as much as I am a fan of Lee Byung-Hun, Memories just failed to win me over and I'd hardly recommend it. On the good side, there's more action here than almost in other Korean wuxia film that I've seen, but even though I don't mind the wire work, it was far from impressive. Sadly, best action in any Korean wuxia is still a work of a  Hongkonger.

• Like 3