What Would It be Like Had Kurt McKinney Starred in American Ninja?

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I was watching the American Ninja film series recently and I read a 1994 Masters of Kung Fu magazine interview with Kurt McKinney, who starred in NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER.

He revealed that after coming to Hollywood from Louisville, Kentucky, he auditioned for the lead role in AMERICAN NINJA, only to lose it to Michael Dudikoff because he was deemed too young. McKinney was 21 at the time and Dudikoff was 26.

However, when Dudikoff dropped out of AMERICAN NINJA 3, McKinney was offered to replace him for a series of four installments. However, the catch was that AMERICAN NINJA III-VI would all be shot in South Africa (I guess to cut down costs) and McKinney declined with the producers settling on David Bradley (even though Part VI was never made).

Here's my question, seeing him in NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER and later, SWORN TO JUSTICE with Cynthia Rothrock, what would you think had Kurt McKinney had taken the lead in AMERICAN NINJA 1 or 3?

Honestly, I think he would have done pretty well. He has a TKD background, was an amateur kickboxer in Kentucky (only fought 3 matches), and considering his work with Corey Yuen, he would have made a good Ninja had he accepted the role in AMERICAN NINJA 3, possibly 1 too if the producers didn't deem him too young.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree he had the loojs and the skills to match or surpass the Dude's work in AN. I would have liked to have seen the orginal Chuck Norris version. It was supposed to be the unofficial sequel to THE OCTAGON.

Hmmm. That's interesting. Yeah, I thought he displayed potential in NRNS though he was clearly outshone by JCVD. Still, I would've liked to see him in AN.

What happened to David Bradley's career anyway? He's like disappeared from the action movie set. The last thing he did I thought was any good was American Samurai. I always thought they'd make a sequel to that.

I think he would have done awesome.

He pulled off Corey Yuen's choreography pretty well.

But then again, it also would be the same without Michael Dudikoff.

Didn't Kurt McKinny do another movie with Cynthia Rothrock in the late 90s?

What happened to David Bradley's career anyway? He's like disappeared from the action movie set. The last thing he did I thought was any good was American Samurai. I always thought they'd make a sequel to that.

He had - or still has - an unnamed illness and retired from filmmaking.

Shame, he was always a likeable presence.

I think dudikoff was cool in american ninja.Series on general was not that good but I still love part 1.NRNS I like only because damme.That ex-gymnast was an idiot at least in movie.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The first two were the ONLY watchable ones! Part 1 is one of my all time favourites, even though I find the action atrocious and Dudikoff stiff as a board. It must be the nostalgia and 80's cheese factor that does it for me. Part 2 is fairly decent, great soundtrack, more Steve James, but the action is actually worse in this one. If only those flicks had a HK action director handling the choreo, like the "american" Seasonal films..... one can dream.

part 1 did not have good choreography let alone storyline...But I still likely would add it into my all time top10 just for thing it was one of 1st martial arts movies I ever saw and enjoyed it like hell...and been re-watching it...

Sigh I remember as high school student when watched it at morning and skipped class because wanted to see dudikoff fight black star ninja

those were good tymes:bigsmile:

Why wasn't Dudikoff in part 3 but then he appeared again in part 4? If he'd been contracted to do 3 movies then surely he should have been in part 3 but if he felt he'd done with the series after the first 2 (presumably he was asked to do the third) then why go back?

The AMERICAN NINJA movies were made to cash in on the popularity of the GI JOE cartoons (with their mix of ninjas and military visuals). The inability to secure PG ratings really hurt their potential, as the movies are very infantile and aimed at kids. Doesn't matter who played the lead because Mike Stone choreographs in the You-hit-me-now-I-hit-you rhythm and Firstenberg directs all action in the foreground. Unlike a Chang Cheh movie, where there are fights all over the frame. Remember, the excellent Richard Norton did all of Dud's costumed ninja fights, and the action still sucked...unless you were a pre-teen and couldn't see Hong Kong movies on a regular basis. The only positive in those films is Steve James, and he should have been the AMERICAN NINJA. Not some honky only skilled at throwing a jumping front kick.

Jesse Smooth
The AMERICAN NINJA movies were made to cash in on the popularity of the GI JOE cartoons (with their mix of ninjas and military visuals). The inability to secure PG ratings really hurt their potential, as the movies are very infantile and aimed at kids. Doesn't matter who played the lead because Mike Stone choreographs in the You-hit-me-now-I-hit-you rhythm and Firstenberg directs all action in the foreground. Unlike a Chang Cheh movie, where there are fights all over the frame. Remember, the excellent Richard Norton did all of Dud's costumed ninja fights, and the action still sucked...unless you were a pre-teen and couldn't see Hong Kong movies on a regular basis. The only positive in those films is Steve James, and he should have been the AMERICAN NINJA. Not some honky only skilled at throwing a jumping front kick.

The NAACP would have thrown a fit. They don't like the idea of a Black action hero. That's why they killed the "Blaxploitation" genre. Steve James was the only one repping in those days.

ShaOW!linDude

I didn't know Richard Norton doubled the Dud in that. Hmmmm. They should've done an 'Australian Ninja' series.

Speaking of the Dud.....he and Steve James did another movie together called 'Avenging Force'. The end was left open for an obvious sequel which never came to be. Anybody know what's up with that?

TibetanWhiteCrane
I didn't know Richard Norton doubled the Dud in that. Hmmmm. They should've done an 'Australian Ninja' series.

Speaking of the Dud.....he and Steve James did another movie together called 'Avenging Force'. The end was left open for an obvious sequel which never came to be. Anybody know what's up with that?

I think Cannon was planning on more Matt Hunter movies. Chuck was of course Hunter in the first one, Invasion U.S.A., but didn't like the script for Avenging Force (probably due to its anti right wing stance, who knows) and The Dudester took over in that one. But there was, as far as I know, no more movies made with that character, for whatever reason.

Finally saw AMERICAN NINJA 4 a few nights ago.

Wow, Dud looks pissed off during his brief time in the flick!

Bradley was pretty good, I thought, and it was nice to see Ken Gampu pop up - he played "Gorilla" in the awesome James Ryan flick KILL AND KILL AGAIN.

BTW, if you have a copy of AMERICAN NINJA 2 to hand, check out the scene near the beginning where Dud and James are chewed up by their commanding officer - it's clearly not Dud but a stand in, who even looks sheepishly at the camera when they told to get out!! :tongue:

I don't have nothing against Michael or David, but i see all American Ninja's kind better with Kurt McKinney, but in another way i saw American Ninja (1-5) several times and i quiet like them all (i prefer part 1&2) but still i would like to see them with Kurt.

By the way David Bradly is believe or not working on new film called Dagger: Operation Montenegro, i hope that movie will be released soon, because trailer is available on YouTube.

Guest Markgway

Avenging Force was a prequel to Invasion USA with Dudikoff the young Chuck Norris.

It's unusually liberal for a Cannon film so I guess that's why Chuck pulled out.

By the way David Bradly is believe or not working on new film called Dagger: Operation Montenegro, i hope that movie will be released soon, because trailer is available on YouTube.

Here's the trailer MG Lerox mentioned

peLD8FmpZmw

Archived