Is Chen Kuan Tai the Only Shaw Star......

Iron Boat

.....to have a realistic relationship on screen with a female counterpart? The thought came to mind as I discussed Gordon Liu's "not so steamy" love scene in Shaolin Drunken Monk. (Athena as I've discovered loves that scene :tongue:) I've always been a fan of CKT films and 1 of the reasons is his reationship pairings on film seemed genuine. For instance, the way he protects his wife and kid in The Flying Guillotine stands out. Also Executioners of Shaolin is famous for introducing Pai Mei but CKT's relationship and courtship of Lily Li was well done.

I also like the good girl Ching Li falling for the Bad Boy in Boxer From Shantung, Man of Iron, and Blood Brothers. Then there's the Tea House which also showcases CKT as a convincing family man. Basically the guy was just never fake on screen, natural born actor and fighter. Does anyone think any other Shaw Stars excelled in this department?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

The relationship between Cecilia Wong and David Chiang is very well done in Shaolin Mantis. I still can't decide which section of the movie I like more, the love story in the first half or the nonstop fights in the second half.

I also like the relationship in Man of Iron. "Darling, after the way I performed last night, you still reckon I ain't strong enough?"

lol, I probably should of posted what are the worse onscreen romances, my vote would go to Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun's girlfriends in training in Shaolin Martial Arts

lol, I probably should of posted what are the worse onscreen romances, my vote would go to Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan Chun's girlfriends in training in Shaolin Martial Arts

OK Master IRON LOVE ;D !!

Let me ask you this: What do you think ( from a EXERIENCED :tongue:male perspective ?? ) of Donnie Yen's love scenes in Legend of the Wolf & 7 swords ??

I thougth in legend of the Wolf he did well for being early in his carer..I do have a old interview with him (in Chinese )were he comments on this scene. He said he basically cleared the set & were unofficially seeing the actress at the time ..That may HELP a tad ??( I have later read he denied the relationship with her as he had another girlfriend at the time. So I am talking allegations here ..No need to call the attorneys ;D !! )

In 7 swords I thougth the cinematography/lighting/choreography of the scene were excellent.The Korean actress did very good I think .

Very relaxed ,natural & professional. Donnie looked unnatural & uptight & didn' t performed well ???

So WHAT is the verdict from a professional IRON male such as your self ???

Gosh you must have gotten good grades in this class BTW ??????

To bad this lady did get any more scenes ..She would have put all the MALE actors to shame !!

swords2.jpg

ROFLMAO !!!

Athena..♥♥

You weren't convinced by the "hooking up" going on in Invincible Shaolin?

:kiss:

Oh wow, I forgot all about the venoms girls in Invincible Shaolin :bigsmile: those were horrible relaitionships! It was bordering on comedy lol, now I'm thinking of the death scenes where Chiang Shiang casually holds a conversation with Philip Kwok with a giant spear through his gut! Invincible Shaolin is actually the last venom film I purchased I figured by this point Cheng Cheh is just kidding around. :cry:

The relationship between Cecilia Wong and David Chiang is very well done in Shaolin Mantis. I still can't decide which section of the movie I like more, the love story in the first half or the nonstop fights in the second half.

I also like the relationship in Man of Iron. "Darling, after the way I performed last night, you still reckon I ain't strong enough?"

My only problem with those scenes is that sometimes she acted like a really young teen and DC being with her seemed a tad perverted. DC should of asked if her mom was available, Lily Li gets my vote!

OK Master IRON LOVE ;D !!

Let me ask you this: What do you think ( from a EXERIENCED :tongue:male perspective ?? ) of Donnie Yen's love scenes in Legend of the Wolf & 7 swords ??

I thougth in legend of the Wolf he did well for being early in his carer..I do have a old interview with him (in Chinese )were he comments on this scene. He said he basically cleared the set & were unofficially seeing the actress at the time ..That may HELP a tad ??( I have later read he denied the relationship with her as he had another girlfriend at the time. So I am talking allegations here ..No need to call the attorneys ;D !! )

In 7 swords I thougth the cinematography/lighting/choreography of the scene were excellent.The Korean actress did very good I think .

Very relaxed ,natural & professional. Donnie looked unnatural & uptight & didn' t performed well ???

So WHAT is the verdict from a professional IRON male such as your self ???

Gosh you must have gotten good grades in this class BTW ??????

To bad this lady did get any more scenes ..She would have put all the MALE actors to shame !!

swords2.jpg

ROFLMAO !!!

Athena..♥♥

Actually I haven't seen those films, I once came close to buying 7 Swords but right as I was about to click "confirm order" Gordon Liu's love scene with a chic in a grimy cave popped on my computer and I lost my train of thought.

And here's the scene just for you Athena!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=mSfRuaxjCB4

:neutral:

Actually I haven't seen those films, I once came close to buying 7 Swords but right as I was about to click "confirm order" Gordon Liu's love scene with a chic in a grimy cave popped on my computer and I lost my train of thought.

Hmm... Iron Love Boat I think we have the correct diagnoses finally !

But before you seek a cure I just heard that Dr Phil ( or was it Jerry Springer ??) Is looking for "Men with Baggage" for an upcoming episode & they are still trying to find a candidate for the "Men with BAD experiences with FEMALES in CAVES.." spot.. Could this be something for you ??

bz+condoman+09-19-08.jpg

( I hope this doesn't ring too many BELLS & make you worse again My Dear ??)

Hope you have a speedy recovery ( Like a one in a million chance I think ;D !!) ;

Love ,Athena..♥

Hmm... Iron Love Boat I think we have the correct diagnoses finally !

But before you seek a cure I just heard that Dr Phil ( or was it Jerry Springer ??) Is looking for "Men with Baggage" for an upcoming episode & they are still trying to find a candidate for the "Men with BAD experiences with FEMALES in CAVES.." spot.. Could this be something for you ??

bz+condoman+09-19-08.jpg

( I hope this doesn't ring too many BELLS & make you worse again My Dear ??)

Hope you have a speedy recovery ( Like a one in a million chance I think ;D !!) ;

Love ,Athena..♥

Well I do got to give him credit for kidnapping her and holding her prisoner in that cave, it reminded me of a cave version of Beauty and the Beast, so romantic. But hey Master Killer is breaking her off though ain't he? She entered the 37th Chamber!

Morgoth Bauglir
My only problem with those scenes is that sometimes she acted like a really young teen and DC being with her seemed a tad perverted. DC should of asked if her mom was available, Lily Li gets my vote!

Nah, I think maybe you just put too much thought into it. She does act very juvenile, but David Chiang doesn’t look much older than her in the movie, so nothing really perverted there IMO. Or maybe you are just jealous that a hottie like her is all over Chiang:tongue:

Lily Li or Cecilia Wong, that's a tough choice, but I'll take Lily Li also, as long as she's not in one of her old woman roles.

But hey Master Killer is breaking her off though ain't he? She entered the 37Th Chamber!

No no .. That is the wrong way of looking at it...( Off course it WRONG it is the MALE view ..:angel: ) !

I will explain again (Oh, how tedious ..) It only PROVES one thing :FEMALE love IS FATAL ..

& it therefor have to follow that a MALE love is only average ( or below that frequently ..;(....!)

You really should not be skipping your anti-cave meds ..It brings on attacks of cave psychosis ..!

Concerning your opening question, Iron Boat, I would say that depends on! First of all, relationships between men and woman are seldom major themes in Kung Fu Movies. So there will always be a lack of creating them. Second that will always depends on the major male actor, the female role is often very small and insignificant.

If you think about Fu Sheng for example, his relationships will always be a little bit naive, immature and playful, like in Shaolin Martial Arts oder Disciples of Shaolin, because he often plays such sort of characters. If you take Chen Kuan Tai on the other hand, he was older than Fu Sheng, more stoic, more like a macho man, perhaps not in private but on screen, so his relationships will be dominated by that and there were some real fine ones as you already mentioned.

The most unrealistic relationships, I ever noticed were the ones Chi Kuan Chun had in The Naval Commandoes and Phillip Kwok in Brave Archer IV.:wink:

Ah, I think you can find a very respect- and trustful relationship between husband and wife which I liked very much in The Legent of the Bat. That would be Yueh Hua and Ching Li! :smile:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Blood Brothers

Shaolin Mantis

Flying Guillotine

Avenging Eagle (even)

The Duel (biggest one maybe or most poignant)

There are more...

Blood Brothers

Shaolin Mantis

Flying Guillotine

Avenging Eagle (even)

The Duel (biggest one maybe or most poignant)

There are more...

Avenging Eagle was pretty good, even Derek Yee in Death Duel had a decent romance. But the film Soul of the Sword summed it up best, clearly showing why onscreen warriors don't have well developed relationships.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

That's right Soul Of The Sword is awesome in this regard. Swordsman And The Enchantress kicks some ass in the romance department as well. Two very good films all around right there.

On 9/9/2010 at 6:45 PM, Iron Boat said:

.to have a realistic relationship on screen with a female counterpart?

On 9/9/2010 at 6:45 PM, Iron Boat said:

Executioners of Shaolin is famous for introducing Pai Mei but CKT's relationship and courtship of Lily Li was well done.

Executioners from Shaolin is the one and only accurate depiction of a realistic relationship on screen in the history of cinema. 

As shown accurately in Executioners from Shaolin a man can only gain mating rights by proving his kung fu is proficient enough by over coming a woman's goat riding stance. The myth of the stork delivering babies comes from the fact all women practice the crane style. At least this is what I was told when I asked "where do babies come from?"

Archived