Best (English) dubbing jobs..

shukocarl

In my opinion a good dubbing job on a Kf film adds to the believability (btw I'm not averse to subbed films, I just prefer them to be dubbed). What are your 'best' dubs? By that I mean the most suitable voices for the characters, timing of the lip movements and adaptation of the script.

Here's some for starters:

THE BIG BOSS (it has good voice artists - Bruce's voice is 'spot-on', believable script and good lip-matching)

EXIT THE DRAGON-ENTER THE TIGER (ditto to above)

THE STREETFIGHTER/RETURN OF THE STREETFIGHTER (Chiba's mean streak really comes across in the dub!)

BLOOD OFTHE DRAGON (Even the annoying kid comes off good in this)

KING BOXER (Yeah, I know it's old-school HK dubbing, but it's a good job nevertheless)

Any more out there that you reccomend?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Avenging Eagle

The Young Master

The Invincible Armor

The Big Showdown

Shaolin vs Lama

Legend of a Fighter

Last Hero in China

One Armed Boxer

Shaolin Mantis

Daggers 8

The Kung Fu Instructor

The Magic Blade

The Deadly Breaking Sword

Tiger Over Wall

Shaolin Master and the Kid

Sleeping Fist

Iron Dragon Strikes Back

Return to the 36th Chamber

7 Grandmasters

The Leg Fighters

Project A (won award for dubbing), first Rank Video release of Drunken Master and the first video release of Police Assassins 2.

sifu iron perm
Is that the one with all the f-words?

Most unusual for a dub from that era.

damn right, the dubbing crew were probbaly drunk that afternoon. Bless them.

Hi everyone, some interesting thing to share with you all, my first job in Taiwan back in the late 1970s was dubbing Chinese kung fu films into English....yep, you read right. I have a book coming out in Nov. 2010, The Ultimate Guide to the Martial Arts Movies of the 1970s, so although you may not have heard of me, if you've watched a ton of dubbed films, you have undoubtedly heard me.

In the book I discuss how I became a dubber, how we did those films, why they sound like the way they do and also why words like "Shaolin" and "Dragon" end up being overly used in all those alternative titles of kung fu films, even though the film has nothing to do with Shaolin or Tiger martial arts.

Which comes to the best dubbed film ever....I happen to know that one Taiwanese film was actually shot in English, all the actors did their lines in English (really bad pronunciation I might add)....but when the dubbers came in and dubbed it in English, it is so good because it's real. I discuss this film in the book.

I have to believe the earlier stuff (60's-early 70's) is among the best, simply because there were very, very few scenes that gave me unintentional laughter. Although I don't find any dubs great, at least these didn't crack you up or make you cringe; it's about as good as it got. King Boxer and Blood of the Dragon definitely get off light... I only had to use one line out of the ol' "Five Fingers" for my CS series ("...he was thick as two planks...")! :xd:

Now, I find it interesting Project A got an award for dubbing (and a surprise that they even gave out awards for this sort of thing!), because I always felt it's one of the better jobs out there. I do get laughs out of it, but mostly due to the delivery of lines that were already meant to be funny ("I'm known... as that guy KOO-KOO!").

I'll also mention Snuff Bottle Connection and Invincible Armour. They have their goofy moments, but they get points for some great dialogue.

CITY HUNTER is my fave dub

Runners up

The Big Boss (US Dub)

Exit the Dragon, Enter The Tiger

Master Of The Flying Guillotine

Shaolin Vs Lama

Encounters Of The Spooky Kind

Iron Fisted Monk

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

Prodigal Son

Kung Fu The Invisible Fist

Kid With The Golden Arm

Often its whether the dub complements the individual film. Shaolin Vs Lama has a poor dub under normal standards but it works well with the film.

agree with most mentioned.

Avenging Eagle

Shoguns Assassin

8 Diagram Pole Fighters

5 Deadly Venoms

Brave Archer and his Mates was suprisingly good featuring voices i hadnt heard from the Shaws

Guest RumbleBee

The only excellent dubs I can recall are the 80's Jackie Chan films I used to watch on VHS. Speaking of which I watched the HKL release of Wheels on Meals and My Lucky Stars a few days ago and was sad to see the dubbing redone. Was so disappointed not to get the original VHS dubbing on these 2 movies.

This lead to me checking ebay for the VHS tapes as I'd love to show my children the versions I loved as a child. Found one of the movies listed but the tape was stated as broken and won't rewind :)

Anyone know how I can acquire these original VHS dubs via DVD somehow.

Regards,

Andy

My vote is for "Master Strikes" with Casanova Wong and Yen Shi Kwan. I grew up watching it in English on the Ocean Shores tape. Later I discovered a rare extended Taiwan copy on VHS at my friend's house (and it's somewhere there still) that had a Mandarin dub. Of course, Crash released the movie on dvd a few years back (Cantonese dub) but with the reels mixed up all the over place. Now, I speak fluent English and Mandarin and can understand a lot of Cantonese but I still have to say the English version had the best dubbing. You can tell the guys really enjoyed dubbing this fun movie.

Michael

jus watched crack shadow boxers and i thought how funny the dialogue was and that its great to hear the shaw dub team in other flix

New One Armed Swordsman is a good one, I was about to list Blood Brothers but forgot how robotic and monotone the voice for Ti Lung was.

Hi everyone, some interesting thing to share with you all, my first job in Taiwan back in the late 1970s was dubbing Chinese kung fu films into English....

That is cool I really want to check out that book now. I swear you guys must have had some kind of game to see who could say "but still" or "listen" the most number of times:nerd:

kungfuandcoffee

Why is everyone a "bastard" in these films????

I thought the dubbing of "Drunken Arts And Crippled Fist" was funny. It's hard to say whether the humor was there in the original Chinese or whether the dubbers gave it "their own spin." Nevertheless, it made a pedestrian story tolerable.

Lance Burton

---------------------------------

"Kung Fu And Coffee" - Humorous Reviews of Mostly "Not-Classics" - Always Free / Never Decaf - http://www.youtube.com/user/kungfuandcoffee / Talk to me on Twitter / Facebook / Email

There's a Wang Yu film with a line I always loved:

"To you, he's a nobleman...someone to be respected.

But to me, he's just a DIRTY BASTARD!"

Can't remember which movie it's from but good dubbing!

Archived