First UK VHS Releases of Bruce Lee FIlms

sdog2006

The Bruce Lee films were first released in the UK in December 1982. They were the old cartoon video sleeves that had slogans like Bruce Lee Challenges the Underworld to a Game of Death.

These were released before the British Board of FIlm Clasification came on board, so my question is who cut The Big Boss, Way of the Dragon and Game of Death, but left Fist of Fury completely uncut?

The Big Boss is missing the chain wrapping around James Tien's neck and the only Lee fight that remains intact is the night time duel with Tony Liu and his henchmen.

Way of the Dragon is butchered. Every single fight scene is edited down to shit and you don't see Lee swing one set of nunchakas, far less two.

Game of Death is missing the Dan Inosanto fight and the groin strike to Kareem.

The films were released later in the same decade after the BBFC took over in 1984. This time both the nunchaka sequences from Fist of Fury were taken out and a few additional cuts were made to the other movies. As I said though, who cut them the first time?

I can't understand it because nobody gave a shit about gore and violence during the early eighties. You could rent Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Exorcist and a whole bunch of video nasties, that would later be banned . Anyway just thought I'd ask incase anyone knows.

I also own a 1980 copy of Enter the Dragon (Warner Bros), which as you might expect, has seen better days. I believe this to be the original theatrical version, as it is uncut with the exception of the monk scenes. The sleave running time shows 86 minutes but it runs for 98 minutes, so that's just an error.

Anyway thanks guys - let me know if you can shed some light.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only assume that these videos were direct copies of a cut american release or maybe some other country that used some kind of cut international print.

I don't think it would have been cut on purpose, just a case of laziness by using an already butchered print.

I could be wrong though.

I can only assume that these videos were direct copies of a cut american release or maybe some other country that used some kind of cut international print.

I don't think it would have been cut on purpose, just a case of laziness by using an already butchered print.

I could be wrong though.

You make a great point though mate. Rank Video who distributed could have bought them from overseas. SImple explanation but conceivably spot on....

Rank took the desicion to release the films in the versions that played the UK cinemas. Fist of Fury was the first released and even by it's re-release in the summer of 1976 it was still uncut. James Ferman of the BBFC had the films re-edited several times. Some cinemas were even advertising them as 'abridged version'! Rank took the view that they should release the videos( in 1982 ) as the longest versions 'aproved' by the BBFC (British Board of Film Censors as it was known then). It seems that the Fist of Fury print was complete and used by mistake! The other films were the versions that had played cinemas after all Ferman's recalls! They were still playing cinemas in 1982 (probably for the last ever run) in double bills (Boss & Game, Way & Fist). Enter was even the support film to THE DRAGON LIVES (aka He's A Legend He's A Hero) in a terribly cut state in 1981/82.

When the BBFC became the British Boars of Film CLASSIFICATION the re-released videos were cut further to Mr. Ferman's wishes. If he'd carried on they would have been little more than trailers!

Hope this helps.....

Rank took the desicion to release the films in the versions that played the UK cinemas. Fist of Fury was the first released and even by it's re-release in the summer of 1976 it was still uncut. James Ferman of the BBFC had the films re-edited several times. Some cinemas were even advertising them as 'abridged version'! Rank took the view that they should release the videos( in 1982 ) as the longest versions 'aproved' by the BBFC (British Board of Film Censors as it was known then). It seems that the Fist of Fury print was complete and used by mistake! The other films were the versions that had played cinemas after all Ferman's recalls! They were still playing cinemas in 1982 (probably for the last ever run) in double bills (Boss & Game, Way & Fist). Enter was even the support film to THE DRAGON LIVES (aka He's A Legend He's A Hero) in a terribly cut state in 1981/82.

When the BBFC became the British Boars of Film CLASSIFICATION the re-released videos were cut further to Mr. Ferman's wishes. If he'd carried on they would have been little more than trailers!

Hope this helps.....

Awesome mate - thanks a lot.

Guest Markgway

The pre-cert tapes of WAY and GAME although cut as per BBFC cinema versions were longer than the '18' cert "video" versions that appeared a few years later.

WAY had an extra 1:11 secs and GAME an extra (wait for it!) 0:02 secs.

Can't remember what the extra 2 secs for GAME were, but WAY had an uncut version of the fight with the gangster in Nora Miao's apartment, and a bit more of the alleyway fight (we see the gangster knock himself out with the nunchaku).

The pre-cert tapes of WAY and GAME although cut as per BBFC cinema versions were longer than the '18' cert "video" versions that appeared a few years later.

WAY had an extra 1:11 secs and GAME an extra (wait for it!) 0:02 secs.

Can't remember what the extra 2 secs for GAME were, but WAY had an uncut version of the fight with the gangster in Nora Miao's apartment, and a bit more of the alleyway fight (we see the gangster knock himself out with the nunchaku).

Yeah I remember WAY had a few extra scenes but every other fight was annihalated. Embarrasing!

The only difference with the second release of GAME was that they freeze framed Inosanto swinging the nunchakas during the title sequence lol.

Guest Markgway
The only difference with the second release of GAME was that they freeze framed Inosanto swinging the nunchakas during the title sequence lol.

That's right. The BBFC told me that. I'd forgotten. lol

sifu iron perm

did they cut Bruce Lee The Legend? That contained plenty of nunchuk scenes..

I was lucky to get the uncut version and loved it.

Yep, they sure did. Actually some scenes censored from the actual films-notably the Lee/Bob Wall scrap in Way got through unscathed in Legend. This goes to show how inconsistent the censors were back then!

did they cut Bruce Lee The Legend? That contained plenty of nunchuk scenes..

I was lucky to get the uncut version and loved it.

Yeah they whiped the nunchaka scenes from the Game of Death montage and freeze framed the end credits so you couldn't see Bruce's routines. They also removed the nunchakas from the Fist of Fury section.

As Shokucarl said The Legend also had scenes from Way of the Dragon, involving his fights with Bob Wall and Whang In Sik. It also had a few kicks and punches from Bruce's first fight in The Big Boss which, to that point, hadn't been seen.

Back in those days I would assaulted every censor in Britain with a pair of foam nunchakas. Just enough to give them prolonged red markings to the face and body. Not wood or metal ones though - I'm no that violent. :bigsmile:

sifu iron perm

damn, we lost out big time. I was fortunate enough to see the uncut versions overseas as a kid, but was major let down from purchasing the rank tapes.I really wanted the "super laser crystal uncut prints" from that Alex dude back in the 90's. But Mum said "No , no, too much mahnee!"

If James Ferman was still at the BBFC (he stepped down in 1999), he would probably have cut the nunchaku scene from the start of Toy Story 3 :smile2:

The Rank video of The Legend (released in 1988 I think) also showed Bruce killing people with the ice pick from Big Boss, which had previously been missing.

If James Ferman was still at the BBFC (he stepped down in 1999), he would probably have cut the nunchaku scene from the start of Toy Story 3 :smile2:

The Rank video of The Legend (released in 1988 I think) also showed Bruce killing people with the ice pick from Big Boss, which had previously been missing.

He'd have an even harder job if he was still at the BBFC...the fella is dead now!

Archived