seeking recommendations

ben

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Sun Chung's direction is very good. Wong Yu was ok. Not great, not terrible, but I don't think he fit the role that well. He's much better in a movie like Kid with a Tattoo.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's Sun Chungs direction for the movie that does it for me. Proud Youth is also up there on the better W Yu flics for me.

Sad he is no longer with us tho....

Agreed RIP Wang Yu,

I didn't think much of Lo Leih's character in RWD either, seemed he was just going through the motions of that type of beggar character. Chen Kuan Tai however was brilliant. If only he could of worked more often with Sun Chung.

If you want dark exploitation grimyness then I wholeheartedly recommend 'Big Bad Sis'. Excellent film directed by Sun Chung - did the man ever make a bad film?

I never even heard of this one but reading the description now I really want to see it.

The same goes for all the other recommendations as well. There is too many films I have yet to see. It gets to be so overwhelming. Damn you all!

The Silver Fox

I just watched 'The Rescue' it is a period actioner from '71. Very violent film for it's time,buckets and buckets of blood,lots of primitive but effective wirework. It stars Lo Lieh and Shih Szu. I've had this for awhile and was not expecting much, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just watched 'The Rescue' it is a period actioner from '71. Very violent film for it's time,buckets and buckets of blood,lots of primitive but effective wirework. It stars Lo Lieh and Shih Szu. I've had this for awhile and was not expecting much, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for the recommendation, that is one I have considered. The three Shaw actors who I have pursued to date are Chen Kuan Tai, Lo Lieh and Danny Lee Sau Yin.

I never even heard of this one but reading the description now I really want to see it.

The same goes for all the other recommendations as well. There is too many films I have yet to see. It gets to be so overwhelming. Damn you all!

Definitely, too much to discover. I tend to only pursue films by specific actors at this point otherwise I would have too much to go through.

An example is with Danny Lee Sau Yin's films; him alone I have about 20 titles most of which is various Fortune Star VCDs and some of his later films up to "Red River". I only have 2 or 3 Shaw films with him so a long way to go.

The other limitation in what I collect though is that I'm not very interested in romance or comedies, regardless of who is in it. Also I skip releases that don't have any english translation.

Morgoth Bauglir

bengs you seen Asian Connection? Best Danny lee movie I have seen. I was blown away by it. Do you have a favorite Danny Lee movie?

bengs you seen Asian Connection? Best Danny lee movie I have seen. I was blown away by it. Do you have a favorite Danny Lee movie?

I have in the past tried but been unable to find a copy of Asian Connection with english subtitles. I picked up a DVD that had been misadvertised, then I found a VCD that indicated on the package as having subtitles, but no such thing. Any suggestion where I should get it from?

Favourite Danny Lee movie; well let me say first that as much as I enjoy crime/thrillers, some of his later films, especially during the 80s and early 90s (namely the aforementioned Fortune Star re-releases) became a bit repetitive in plot and the progress of the film in general. I enjoy them, but just thought its important to point that out.

In consideration of what I have seen to date though, my favourites were "Law With Two Phases" and "Murderer Pursues".

I've had Law With Two Phases on DVDR for awhile. I'm gonna have to watch it soon.

I don't know what the best version is of Asian connection. This is the English subtitled version I watched- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0W5uNpK-uQ

Oh.. thanks alot.. I wouldn't have found that otherwise. It sounds like Danny Lee's voice in the film as well.

Just curious (sorry for going off the topic), have you watched "Undeclared War"? Not the best story but interesting for its significance, being that it was an attempt to take Danny Lee to the international audience with a big action film.

That's one of the few Ringo Lam movies i haven't seen. I'll have to check it out.

I see. I hope you will enjoy it. I haven't watched it for a while, I should take a look again soon.

At the moment I am watching "Murderer Pursues" again. This is a great film. Simple story, good acting for what it is, and the music used works well.

Thanks for the recommendation, that is one I have considered. The three Shaw actors who I have pursued to date are Chen Kuan Tai, Lo Lieh and Danny Lee Sau Yin.

You have your work cut out for you with Lo Lieh. He made about 170 films between 1965 and 1985.

One very grim film that I don't see in this thread is Oath of Death, the first film directed by Pao Hsueh Lieh. This is one of my favorite Lo Lieh roles and one of the most violent Shaw Brothers films I've seen. Pao also co-directed Man of Iron, Delightful Forest, Boxer from Shantung and Iron Bodyguard with Chang Cheh. He directed The Shadow Boxer, as well, which is another dark film.

Sadly when Pao left Shaw Brothers for Taiwan in 1978 the quality of his films declined, I guess, due to the low budgets he had to work with.

You have your work cut out for you with Lo Lieh. He made about 170 films between 1965 and 1985.

One very grim film that I don't see in this thread is Oath of Death, the first film directed by Pao Hsueh Lieh. This is one of my favorite Lo Lieh roles and one of the most violent Shaw Brothers films I've seen. Pao also co-directed Man of Iron, Delightful Forest, Boxer from Shantung and Iron Bodyguard with Chang Cheh. He directed The Shadow Boxer, as well, which is another dark film.

Sadly when Pao left Shaw Brothers for Taiwan in 1978 the quality of his films declined, I guess, due to the low budgets he had to work with.

Thanks for your input. Yes, a Lo Lieh collection will not come easily, but if something catches my eye I would consider it, such as the film you mentioned.

Archived