Watch a non-action/non-horror SB film in September challenge

xianzai

Are you tough enough to handle Blue Skies? Able to sit through Lady General Hua Mulan without flinching? How about some of the many other SB films in the opera, drama, erotica, and comedy genres?

Watch one or more in September and post about it. See your favorite stars in a new light.

I saw House of 72 Tenants; it was a little better than I expected (I assumed it would be pretty bad), perhaps because Chu Yuan was the director and did some work on the script. Yueh Hua, and Ching Li make a nice romantic couple.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DQBzifxW5_o

I wouldn't recommend it as one's first SB Opera, but you could do worse, as Li Ching is really in her element in operas and Ivy Ling Po is IMO very convincing as a man.

awesome. I am 100% up for this! I watch these all the time. Last one I checked out was Torrent of Desire , and I personally dug it. Even when these movies drag a bit they look great , and I gotta say from my experience SB flicks (atleast on these DVDs..) seem to run pretty short, like in the 70-80 min range , so you know the ending is never too far. Anyway I would recommend Torrent to anyone remotely into 60s go-go melodramas.

RW, I envy your poster collection already.

I agree Torrent of Desire was watchable, and not just for Angela Yu Chien's brief, chubby nudity. :wink2:

Perhaps that's added incentive; some of these films have stars you've seen in action movies appearing in more revealing outfits and steamy situations.

I agree with bratty that these movies often look great; some of the operas have incredible production values, for ex. The dramas and comedies can show you a vanished Hong Kong; some of the films also show surrounding countries.

Guest Markgway

There are two types of Li Han-Hsiang movies:

The acclaimed costume dramas and the generally terrible erotic comedies.

Be careful which you select.

Watched Songfest: "As tuneful as its name implies, Songfest is an Eastmancolor-Shawscope costume musical, traditionally Chinese in content but possessing a timeless spirit and modern technique. Shot on location at Taiwan's beautiful Sun-Moon Lake, it's the turbulent romance of a passionate tea picker (the fiery Margaret Tu Chuan, in one of her most famous roles) and a debonair fisherman (Chiao Chuang). Watch for future Shaw Brothers superstar Lily Ho, then 16-years-old, in her debut as Margaret Tu Chuan's vivacious tea picking friend."

Lily Ho's role is quite minor, and it's clear she hadn't learned to act at that point. In addition, there is a minor role performed by Chiao Chiao. The movie is very pretty to look at, and the singing is much easier on the ears than Chinese Opera. Margaret Tu Chuan looks better here than in other movies, perhaps because of her face better suits the traditional Chinese makeup/look than a Western style.

I just watched The Magnificent Concubine. It's watchable, but nothing special. 3 songs as background music. I does feature Li Li-Hua, who was a famous actress in the 60s I guess. She reminds me of Linda Lin Dai.

The plot features an emperor focused on his concubine and the arts while a corrupt prime minister runs the country into the ground. The first part is rather boring, but the story picks up at the end. I think it is based on history and might view better if you know the original story.

A good opera to see, although it is skimpy on songs, is The Last Woman of Shang. Strong plot and again I think it is based on history.

Another movie that might be of interest is Hong Kong Nocturne. It features Cheng Pei-Pei as a singer/dancer, one of the three leads.

A Cause to Kill <-- See review. Her fans will appreciate Chiao Chiao looking very cute with her late 1960's wardrobe and big hair. Ivy Ling Po does a good turn as a nasty character.

lLKceJ2PjUk

Raw Passions -- "Lo Chen, the maker of such elegant romances as Shepherd Girl and The Joy Of Spring, takes a hard right turn into hard-boiled mystery. Ivy Ling Po, star of The Love Eterne as well as A Cause To Kill, plays the dedicated wife of a man being blackmailed for an illicit love affair, who uncovers a pit of deceit, double-crosses, extortion and murder after murder. (IVL)"

Features Ku Feng in a great (but small) role as a violent sleazebag. The fights are uniformly laughingly choreographed. The period settings are lovingly filmed.

HQzg4Te4gaQ

Song of Tomorrow - SB movie about drug addiction. Nothing special, though I think some of the songs may have been popular at the time. There are some nice film effects early on.

Fallen Petals - Grab this one while you can. A drama about lovers separated by war, set in Taiwan before and after WWII, this movie looks and feels as high quality as a Hollywood production of the same vintage. While the writing serves up some WTFs in the final third, I still highly recommend this.

OGDazkGyPNg

The Younger Generation - Weepie about a large family struggling to survive poverty.

V8hDn94B3mE

Auntie Lan - Will an unwed mother find true love?

aGodBKjvRZI

Aside -- if you're learning Mandarin, contemporary movies like these above are much easier to understand than the kung fu/wuxia Shaws.

Read my review of this drama starring Danny Lee and Lily Ho by clicking here: http://fangshih-yutriviawingshaolintemple.blogspot.com/2010/09/river-of-fury-1973-starring-lily-ho.html
I thought it was pretty good, but it's no Fallen Petals. :wink2:

Ku Feng owns the proceedings, and for lady fans (or perhaps just Danny Lee) he's often shirtless.

haha! I just stumbled onto this thread. It isn't September, but I did watch 'Susanna' the other day.

...but only because I am in love with Li Ching.

She acts so well with her eye movements & besides her beauty it is things like that which make her so attractive!!!!

The women of Shaw were some of the most beautiful women in the world!

[...] I am in love with Li Ching.

She acts so well with her eye movements & besides her beauty it is things like that which make her so attractive!!!!

Have you seen her Chinese Opera films? She really shines in them.

8rpaEUpWKYY

Archived