The Prodigal Boxer

panku

Does anybody here know which is the best version of this film? I have the Crash Cinema version but am hoping to find an upgrade.

Prodigal Boxer - Crash Cinema (1998)

Kung Fu: The Punch of Death - Brentwood (2001)

Prodigal Boxer / Militant Eagle - Warner Brothers (2007 01)

Prodigal Boxer - Soulblade / Dragon (2007 06)

Other versions?

I'm quickly running out of money.:smile:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody here know which is the best version of this film? I have the Crash Cinema version but am hoping to find an upgrade.

Prodigal Boxer - Crash Cinema (1998)

Kung Fu: The Punch of Death - Brentwood (2001)

Prodigal Boxer / Militant Eagle - Warner Brothers (2007 01)

Prodigal Boxer - Soulblade / Dragon (2007 06)

Other versions?

I'm quickly running out of money.:smile:

I have the Warner Brothers "double feature" DVD and the Crash Cinema DVD listed above and as far as I can tell they are the same [letterboxed?] print, even down to what looks like film damage in the opening 5 seconds of the movie...Crash Cinema version is 1:30:03 and the Warner version is 1:29:55 (according to VLC media player); the Warner version is English dubbed, too.

Hope that helps...

I remember there was discussion once about Warner changing (or dropping) music to avoid copyright issues, so maybe the older ones would be preferred.

Can't remember what film though.

Thanks Rock Bottom and chen lung.

I have the Warners of Bloody Fists / Moonlight Sword and BF has an edited soundtrack, so I was hesitant to get Prodigal Boxer / Militant Eagle incase they screwed around with it.

The reason I asked was because this version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xto-NBgphcw

has much better sound than the Crash Masters version I have and I thought there might be a definitive version.

OpiumKungFuCracker

A downright classic. Meng Fei is phenomenal in this. Any more kung fu movies where the mom is the kung fu instructor? I'm guessing, yes?

NoKUNGFUforYU

Really, a classic? I remember seeing this when it came out and I was underwhelmed, I thought the villains were way better martial artists then the hero. I thought it must have been a ripoff of all the Shaws Hung Gar movies that came out at the same time. I don't know which came first, though, over in HK. Now that I said that, I'm going to seek out a copy to see if it has improved with age, as I like some of this old stuff now more than before.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Really, a classic? I remember seeing this when it came out and I was underwhelmed, I thought the villains were way better martial artists then the hero. I thought it must have been a ripoff of all the Shaws Hung Gar movies that came out at the same time. I don't know which came first, though, over in HK. Now that I said that, I'm going to seek out a copy to see if it has improved with age, as I like some of this old stuff now more than before.

meng fei performance alone is worth a revisit. the direction is miles ahead and stands alongside with some of the best

kung fu films from the 70s.....

meng fei performance alone is worth a revisit. the direction is miles ahead and stands alongside with some of the best

kung fu films from the 70s.....

Agreed. This, and HAND OF DEATH/PUNCH OF DEATH. They do look like lower budget Shaw indies, especially since they employ a number of Shaw players.

NoKUNGFUforYU

I watched the finale on youtube. I have to say that I was still unimpressed with Meng Fei, probably because I compare him to Fu Sheng. I know he got better, but I couldnt get around that part. On the otherhand, the quality of the prints are great, and it looks at least the level of a GH production. Its worth getting a copy, but Meng looked weak in this. No offense, just my 2 cents.

Archived