Satan's Sword vs Sword of Doom

BlackLamaFaction

BlackLamaFaction

Considering Kihachi Okamoto's Sword of Doom is a virtually shot for shot remake of Kenji Misumi's Satan's Sword from 6 years earlier it makes it easy to draw comparisons regarding the strengths and weaknesses of each film. I am very interested in what fellow fans like and dislike about these movies and which film (if either) was more effective, entertaining, or just more enjoyable in general.

I loved the Satan's Sword Trilogy as a whole piece. Misumi, who was responsible for the first two, was a more than competent director in 1960 but he was still a young studio director at Daiei who did not yet have the artistic freedom he would be granted in his later triumphs. For this reason, and a few others, Satan's Sword has difficulty standing up to Okamoto's dark masterpiece The Sword of Doom. Another reason, perhaps the most obvious, is the difference in the lead actors. Raizo Ichikawa is an amazing actor who's played many great roles and he was effective as Ryunosuke; however, this was the role Tatsuya Nakadai was born to play. Nakadai's presence alone, and his methodical acting style, exuded a dark menacing malevolence that Ichikawa was unable to achieve in my opinion. While the story and the framing of quite a few of the sequences were very similar in the two films, that is pretty much where the similarities end. Again, Sword of Doom being a very dark and moody piece, highly stylized, intentionally filmed in black and white, presenting all the hallmarks of Okamoto's films at this time (Samurai Assassin, Kill). Satan's Sword was more typical of the genre and where it was in the late 50's, early 60's. Vengeanceofhumanlanterns had made this point in another thread, that the genre had seen many stylistic and aesthetic changes in the 6 short years between these two films. I can't think of a better two films to compare in illustrating this point. I highly recommend both films, and you should definitely watch the whole Satan's Sword trilogy as it goes on to tell more of Ryunosuke's story and delve deeper into a truly interesting and paradoxical character.

Please feel free to voice your opinions on these films.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BLF: I have to say that Satan's Sword Trilogy on a whole is much better, it really gets into the character's life, where Sword of Doom is way to short, a great movie but you really cannot compare the 2 movies. And both actors are great, if Tatsuya Nakadai did the trilogy that would've been something to see.

BLF: I have to say that Satan's Sword Trilogy on a whole is much better, it really gets into the character's life, where Sword of Doom is way to short, a great movie but you really cannot compare the 2 movies. And both actors are great, if Tatsuya Nakadai did the trilogy that would've been something to see.

Well daisho2004 Thank you !!

You saved me almost all typing here... As that is my thought exactly !!

Sure you didn't read my mind ?? Totally agree with you here !!

What is your final verdict BLF ???

Xiexie, Athena ..♥

BlackLamaFaction

Well Athena, I saw the Sword of Doom before I saw the first film in the Satan's Sword trilogy. As a direct comparison I have to say the remake was a better film for me but that is probably only a result of my personal tastes in film. I love all the early Daiei movies, Misumi and Tanaka directed some of my favorite films for Daiei of that period, Sword of Doom however is like a work of art, a film on a level that Tanaka and Misumi would achieve later with movies like the Betrayal, and Sword Devil respectively. I guess Daisho is right it is almost unfair to compare the films because while they were only made a few years apart, they were really different era's entirely.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I have to say, I love Ichikawa Raizo, but Tatsuya Nakadai owns this role. Sword Of Doom blows the trilogy away. The Satan Sword trilogy is boring in comparison. I own it and like it.

Well Athena, I saw the Sword of Doom before I saw the first film in the Satan's Sword trilogy. As a direct comparison I have to say the remake was a better film for me but that is probably only a result of my personal tastes in film. I love all the early Daiei movies, Misumi and Tanaka directed some of my favorite films for Daiei of that period, Sword of Doom however is like a work of art, a film on a level that Tanaka and Misumi would achieve later with movies like the Betrayal, and Sword Devil respectively. I guess Daisho is right it is almost unfair to compare the films because while they were only made a few years apart, they were really different era's entirely.

Hello BLF !!

I do totally understand your view ..& I am also a MAJOR fan of early Daiei movies !!

But there is one other aspect that influenced my reply too...This may be purely a "female" aspect & not apply to much to others.

When I evaluate a movie, I also take into consideration (along with everything else) what kind feeling it leaves behind( after many viewings ,not just one ,Hehe..). Once in a while I end up with a slightly negative feeling despite it actually being a great movie ...& it is not based really on just level of violence or anything..

Sword of Doom left me with a slightly too depressed feeling. Another great movie I ended up with a too depressed feeling is the beautiful movie Harakiri ! So it maybe just a "female deal" or just me.

I have to tell you a funny thing ! Every time I see you avatar pop up it runs trough my head " Have you watched your Yojimbo today ( or this week ..) ???" So you are making sure I am up on my probably 3002 Nd ( give or take a 1000...:angel:..LOL ) viewing of the masterpiece !!!

Xiexie, Athena ..♥

You can't compare Satan's Sword trilogy and Sword of Doom without mentioning the 1950 Souls in the Moonlight trilogy directed by Tomu Uchida and starring Cheizo Kataoka.

BlackLamaFaction
You can't compare Satan's Sword trilogy and Sword of Doom without mentioning the 1950 Souls in the Moonlight trilogy directed by Tomu Uchida and starring Cheizo Kataoka.

I have never seen those films so I can't speak about them. I have heard of them, but I wasn't sure if they were even available in english. Perhaps Souls in the Moonlight would be a more fair comparison to Satan's Sword since both are trilogy's that explore more of Ryunosuke's story. I have read that Cheizo Kataoka's portrayal of Ryunosuke was of a far more benevolent soul. If that's acurate I would be interested to see that interpretation of Ryunosuke's character, considering what I know of these films being centered around his volatility.

I'm ordering "Souls in the Moonlight" from Merlin over SamuraiDVD.com he has a remastered print of this series, so I'm looking forward to getting this and putting up a review about it, and comparing the 2 trilogies.

I'm ordering "Souls in the Moonlight" from Merlin over SamuraiDVD.com he has a remastered print of this series, so I'm looking forward to getting this and putting up a review about it, and comparing the 2 trilogies.

daisho2004 !

I was getting ready to do a search & get it myself but since you commented here about it ..I will wait to see what you think ..

But I am sure it is an essential !! Can't believe we both overlooked it !!

Thanks again Marc, Tatjana (Athena) ..♥

I just finished watching the Satan's Sword trilogy(thanks to Daisho and KFBob), and now I have this burning desire to know...

What if!?!

That's right, what if the other two movies where made after Sword of Doom.

Getting back to Satan's Sword, I thought Raizo did a great job in the role, he felt more sympathetic in parts, like maybe there was going to be some kind of redeeming ending for him, he's got an elegance and charisma to him that pulls you in, his psychosis seems a little more subdued which makes it stranger when he goes on a killing spree for no apparent reason. Some spoilers to follow...

The movie(s) itself was a cause for some frustration, like skipping an entire duel/battle from the ending of the first movie into the second, after watching the trilogy I did some research and found a great review here - http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-satanssword1.html (Paghat the Ratgirl is actually a great resource for these old Samurai films, she's a wealth of information,) maybe I missed it the first time around but the fog disrupted the first duel.

It's interesting to know that Ryunosuke and Hyoma never meet in a duel in the source material, and it was wrote by a Buddhist monk who died before he finished the story(believed not meant to be finished.) Knowing this makes the ending of this trilogy, as Ryunosuke goes floating down a river, more understandable. He states when they're in the cabin in the second movie and the other Samurai are about to commit Seppeku, "I just survived a thousand bullets and arrows, I will not kill myself, I want to live." Maybe he can't die, even after blinded he's even more badass, so now I know where the inspiration for Zatoichi came from, you can tell Katsu took the mannerisms of Raizo's face for a blind man, as a huge Zatoichi fan this is a revelation!

I really wish Kenji Misumi could have directed the third movie, it felt uneven to me even not knowing it was another director, and why was Omatsu, the girl who's grandfather was killed at the beginning, cut out of the third movie all together? They only mention her, I'm guessing the actress went to another movie. Still a great trilogy, once again the golden age of Japanese cinema never disappoints. It's really a shame Raizo died so young, he was as gifted an actor as they come.

But yeah, what if? If the ending of Sword of Doom was any indication, with Nakadai going absolutely batshit insane, the next two films were going to be some mindblowing movies we'll never get the pleasure to watch:nerd: Ok Miike, remake this one next!!!!

What if!?!

That's right, what if the other two movies where made after Sword of Doom.

@Tosh: That is why it's really not a fair comparison Satan's Sword is a complete trilogy where as Sword of Doom is a single movie. Yes I wish they would have made that into a trilogy as well. Both are excellent movies in there own right. You need to watch Souls in the Moonlight now.

You need to watch Souls in the Moonlight now.

Yeah like to get to that one in the future, I going to get to those Mute Samurai movies you sent me next:wink:

But - was this character the inspiration for Zatoichi or Tange Sazen? Maybe one of the first "Handicapped" martial artist that spawned hundreds maybe thousand of Asian movies where someone loses an arm or their sight, this would be worth looking into a little further.

Archived