MACHETE (2010) - Your Thoughts?

Karlos

Cut 40 minutes out of MACHETE and you'd have a fun movie. Too bloated, too many villains and a lot of technical flaws due to Rodriguez's "Chinese Fire Drill Method" of filmmaking. Also, can we finally say digital film looks like shit? Some of the ugliest photography I've ever seen. When Steven Seagal gives a better performance than DeNiro, your movie is in trouble.

At least the Texas Tornadoes were on the soundtrack

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
I'll check it out again on DVD where it'll be much longer.

Cut 40 minutes out of MACHETE and you'd have a fun movie

You both can't be right.... :tongue:

I liked it. It wasn't the best movie ever made, but I enjoyed it all the way through. There were some moments that were head-scratchers, I didn't care for the final death of Stevie, but here's to hoping for a sequel!

KFS

Liked Machete a lot.

I really dig how all the scenes that were in the original 2006 (07?) trailer made it to the actual movie. Not if they used the same exact scenes or if they re-filmed them.

Seagal was underused though. :( DeNiro was awesome.

I liked that too. I re-watched the trailer after watching the movie. They managed to get almost every person who was in that trailer. There were some glaring changes, like the attempted assassination scene was a different location. Otherwise, it was nice to see it come together as we were teased all those years ago. :)

Next up is Hobo With a Shotgun. It'll probably look way better than the Grindhouse trailer version.

CROq3yeqdRo

KFS

Just watched machete last night. A really enjoyable mix of sleaze, cool, gore and comedy. Will definitley be heading off to the cinema to watch it when it hits the big screen over here.

*spoiler* - It's also the first time i've ever seen someones intestines used for absailing too!!! Now that's ingenuity for ya :xd: Awesome stuff.

Cut 40 minutes out of MACHETE and you'd have a fun movie. Too bloated, too many villains and a lot of technical flaws due to Rodriguez's "Chinese Fire Drill Method" of filmmaking. Also, can we finally say digital film looks like shit? Some of the ugliest photography I've ever seen. When Steven Seagal gives a better performance than DeNiro, your movie is in trouble.

At least the Texas Tornadoes were on the soundtrack

Agreed, I thought it was fun, but I'm in no rush to buy the DVD. I figured Rodriguez would stick with the faux-film grain and scratchy look of the prologue for the whole movie. The theater I saw it at had digital projection, it was like watching a DVD on a giant TV. Weird for a '70s-inspired movie.

Also, in the non-action scenes, it's fairly evident that Trejo is an old man now. He shuffles around like your grandpa when he's off his meds at times.

Guest Markgway
*spoiler* - It's also the first time i've ever seen someones intestines used for absailing too!!! Now that's ingenuity for ya :xd: Awesome stuff.

That scene was in the red band trailer.

In a brief, formal letter dated Dec. 1 and released Wednesday by Katherine Cesinger , a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry, the Texas Film Commission cited part of a state code that says requests for film incentives can be denied "because of inappropriate content or content that portrays Texas or Texans in a negative fashion."

Film commission denies incentives for Robert Rodriguez's 'Machete'

Archived