MACHETE (2010) - Your Thoughts?

Karlos

I understand MACHETE gets released today in the U.S. (Here in the UK we have to wait until November 26th - argh!! :tongue:)

Apparently – and this has not yet been confirmed – it will be bookended with two fake trailers – a Tarantino one called AGENT ORANGE, starring Tim Roth (get both references to win a prize! :xd:) and one for a MACHETE sequel.

Early reviews are saying it’s hit and miss, but mainly hit and mostly makes good on it’s “grindhouse” promises.

And hey, our man Seagal has been getting good notices – surely a big screen comeback is on the cards?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Loved it! Jessica Alba and Lindsay Lohan naked alone is worth the price of admission! :nerd:

The first 10 minutes is better than the whole Expendables movie.

This movie rocks......just see it! :xd:

froffeecoffee

Pretty awesome flick. Seagal makes a pretty effective villian. And it's about time Danny Trejo gets to star in his own movie. He's always been a reliable character actor and this lets him cut loose and make with the outrageous larger than life hero so desperately needed in today's movies.

No actual nudity from Alba or Lohan, except for some strategically placed elbow and hair. So don't get too excited fellas.

The gore is top notch. But again, why CGI blood? Nonetheless, it's used effectively.

The dialogue fit into the type of story that was being told. Laugh out loud moments that made me think, only in the movies can you get away with that.

No fake trailers at the start or end. But there was a promise Machete would return, like at the end of a James Bond movie.

Definitely a must watch in the theaters. Don't wait for dvd/blu-ray.

Lohan did show her squeezes several times in the movie. As for Jessica Alba, there's a full body nude shot with "strategically placed elbow and hair". :tongue:

I Loved it! Jessica Alba and Lindsay Lohan naked alone is worth the price of admission! :nerd:

The first 10 minutes is better than the whole Expendables movie.

This movie rocks......just see it! :xd:

This is so much better than THE EXPENDABLES it's not even funny. Definitely worth going to see this film in the theater with the biggest, drunkest crowd you can find.

No fake trailers that I saw - but apparently Canadians get the real HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN trailer. No US distributor for HOBO yet (Alliance is handling it in Canada), so no US trailer.

• Administrator

A thumb's up from our brother Monk Sante is more than good enough for me. :nerd:

My son is bugging out a bit because we won't be able to see this for five more days due to my work schedule. We're both really psyched about it.

Plus, I recently got him into Seagal- showing him the good stuff from the old days (and a few recent ones) and now he's a fan. So this will be his first time seeing Seagal on screen in the theater. A momentous ocassion to be sure. :wink:

I can't wait to see this freaking movie!!

The original trailer on PLANET TERROR was one of my favorite trailers!!

I've heard Segall makes for a great bad guy!! Hopefully a second chance at theatrical movies are in his future...he's still got it and maybe with a studio he can shed a little weight and get back to leading man status in Hollywood.

Liked Machete a lot.

I really dig how all the scenes that were in the original 2006 (07?) trailer made it to the actual movie. Not if they used the same exact scenes or if they re-filmed them.

Seagal was underused though. :( DeNiro was awesome.

Definitely a great B-Movie, all the actors cast fit there roles awesomely, I liked Steven Seagal as a villain, and I'm glad he was not in the entire but he really was some what. Jessica Alba what else can be said about her except DAMN!!!! One of the best non HK action movies I have seen in awhile.

Jessica Alba what else can be said about her except DAMN!!!!

Yeah, man... she's a little skinny now, but that face of hers. I feel like i should go to jail thinking what I'm thinking every time her lips appear on the screen.

Michelle Rodriguez ain't too bad either.

I'm sure it exists, but they're probably saving it for the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray releases. Or who knows? They might even update the reels so some of us go back a 2nd time in theaters

Anything for a buck. Can't blame them.

The only problem is the trailer gives away too much of the storyline plot, and spoils some parts that could of been more if they never showed them in the trailer.

Yeah, i noticed that too. But keep in mind, almost the same exact trailer came out before they decided to make the movie. RR claims that he shot nearly half the movie (just for the Grindhouse trailer), but the completed film was never officially in the can until a couple years after Grindhouse came out.

Also, a lot 70's flicks trailers ALWAYS gave too much away. I think that's what they were going for. Just pop in any original Shaw Brothers trailer. =D

Robert Rodriguez, Danny Trejo Interview, Machete

Here is the link the interview: http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_18320.html

DANNY TREJO Biography

Danny Trejo

Birth Date: November 11, 1944

Birth Place: Los Angeles, California, USA

Contact info: click here

Danny Trejo (born May 16, 1944) is a character actor who has appeared in many Hollywood movies.

Early life

Trejo is a native of the Echo Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. His life as a youngster wasn't easy: he roamed the streets around his home area while committing various crimes and became addicted to drugs. He was in and out of jail many times as a teenager.

While on the streets, Trejo developed talent as a boxer and considered taking up boxing as a profession. That ambition was dashed by a long prison sentence. While serving time in San Quentin State Prison, he became the California state jail's champion in both the lightweight and welterweight categories. During this time, Trejo also successfully completed a 12-step rehabilitation program that helped him leave behind the lifestyle of crime and drugs.

Movie career

While attending a Cocaine Anonymous meeting in 1985, Trejo met a young man in the movie business. His newfound friend invited him to the set of Runaway Train, where Trejo was offered a job as an extra. Edward Bunker, himself a former convict and well-respected crime author who was writing the screenplay for the film (it was based on his novel 'No Beast So Fierce), recognized Trejo: they had done time together at San Quentin. Remembering Trejo's boxing skills, he offered Trejo $350 per day to train Eric Roberts, one of the movie's stars, for a boxing scene. Director Andrei Konchalovsky liked Trejo's work and decided to offer him a prominent role in the film.

Since then, he has shared the silver screen with a list of Hollywood's most famous actors, including Johnny Depp, Nicolas Cage, Charles Bronson, Jennifer Lopez, Edward Furlong, Tyra Banks, Sylvester Stallone, Robert De Niro and Antonio Banderas. A very prolific actor, Trejo often appears in five or more movies each year across a wide variety of genres. Major releases in which he has acted include Anaconda, xXx, Desperado, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Heat, From Dusk Till Dawn, Con Air, Six Days Seven Nights, Spy Kids, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and The Devil's Rejects.

Trejo appears as a playable character in Def Jam: Fight for NY, a video game to which the actor lent his voice and likeness. He had previously lent his voice to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for the character Umberto Robina, who also resembles Trejo somewhat.

Trejo is known for his very distinctive appearance. In addition to his heavily lined face (usually sporting a long mustache), he has displayed the large tattoo on his chest for many roles. (The tattoo depicts a woman wearing a sombrero.) He often plays thugs or lowlife characters, although he has displayed range as a good guy with films such as Robert Rodriguez's Spy Kids trilogy, Bubble Boy, Heat and an amusing guest appearance on the USA Network series Monk with art imitating life as a convict roommate to Tony Shalhoub's undercover detective.

Private life

Trejo is married to Debbie Trejo. He has three children: Danny Boy (b. 1981, from a previous marriage), Gilbert (b. 1988), and Danielle (b. 1994). He is the cousin of director Robert Rodríguez and often appears in his movies.

Trejo has said that he is amazed when he walks the streets where he used to commit crimes and children ask him for autographs. He also pointed out that he often chooses to play "bad guys" to teach young children that bad guys often die.

OpiumKungFuCracker
It would seem, looking on the net, that the Tarantino fake trailer has yet to appear - Which begs the question, does it actually exist?

EDIT: There's a MACHETE comic book coming up soon, if anyone's interested:

http://www.geekweek.com/2010/07/robert-rodriguez.html

Super cool, when I watch the movie, Machete does have that style/feel of a comic book movie... This could transfer quite well in the comics...

Morgoth Bauglir

I made sure to go into this with low expectations, and I ended up enjoying it a lot. Nice to see one of my favorite actors Jeff Fahey given a good role in a movie that's actually in theaters. Danny Trejo does a good job. And funny to see Lindsey Lohan playing herself. My only major problem was Jessica Alba. She was worthless in this movie. But, nice to look at of course.

Did anyone notice sound problems? I'm wondering if this was intentional, or if it was just the theater I was at. If it was intentional, bad move. The audio cuts out at some key moments, and wasn't funny like when the film burns up in Grindhouse.

I want to check this out, if the fake trailers exisist they'll have them at the Alamo.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pirannah 3 either, cant remember when 2 movies were out that I actually wanted to see.

Saw MACHETE the other night, and whilst I enjoyed it, I could't help but the shake the feeling it was a misfire.

I'll check it out again on DVD where it'll be much longer, according to a recent Rodriguez interview.

Maybe that'll fix some of the issues I had with it.

Archived