10 Most Underrated Martial Arts Actors - What's Your List?

Improvisation

Improvisation

Not unknowns that have appeared in one movie - I'm talking about actors who have been under the radar but shown flashes of brilliance. Guys who you want to see as the leading man in a full blown martial arts film.

10. Ernie Reyes Jr. Remember that goofy kid from TMNT 2? Turns out his skills are no joke, but I doubt anyone knows who he is. He just came out with an MMA movie called "Red Canvas," showing off his recently acquired muay thai skills.

9. Ken Lo. Maybe not "underrated" so much as "misused." He's been in too many movies in which he's just in a few quick and crappy fight scenes. His best work is in stuff like Drunken Master 2 (of course) and China Strike Force, where he had a kickboxing fight against Mark Dacascos.

8. Robin Shou. Liu Kang is the man, but Shou was doing martial arts movies way before he got into Hollywood, such as Tigercage 2 with Donnie Yen. His action days may be over (he just turned 50), but during his younger years, he was lamentably underrated.

7. Jason Scott Lee. Ripped, quick, intense, Bruce-Lee like. He's done some great movies here and there (Dragon, Timecop 2, Dance of the Dragon) but he needs to do a full blown martial arts movie.

6. Cung Le. Kickboxing sensation that whooped Frank Shamrock senseless in their MMA match. Has started with a few kung fu movies, but needs his own movie, now.

5. Dan Chupong. Has to fight the status of "Tony Jaa's shadow," especially now that our old boy's gone to the monastery.

4. Marko Zaror. Beastly: big, fast, powerful, super kicker. He's been in a few movies here and there, but he should be in Hollywood (not just doubling for the Rock)

3. Collin Chou. No question that he's a monster (see Flash Point), but has he ever been in a movie in which he wasn't the bad guy?

2. Yu Rong Guang. He's been in a lot of movies, but not since "Iron Monkey" has he been given a leading role show off his agile and powerful ability.

1. Mark Dacascos. Come on, I think we all knew who #1 would be. He remains among the most athletically gifted and charismatic martial artists and he needs to stop starring in crappy B movies.

I'm sure I left out tons of others, so what's your list?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

"Collin Chou. No question that he's a monster (see Flash Point), but has he ever been in a movie in which he wasn't the bad guy?"

Collin Chou started out his movie career playing good guys, but then quickly became a permanent villain

I know this thread is in the modern section, but most of the actors I’m listing were underused before 1985, and then pretty much forgotten about after 1985. All of these actors had high skill level and should have done more in their careers.

Chang Shan- villain in Shaolin vs Lama

Chin Lung-lead in Bone Crushing Kid

Lau Sek Ming- Bruce Lee fanatic in First Shot

Ha Kwang Li- lead in Woman Avenger

Sonny Yu- lead in Raiders of the Shaolin Temple

Chin Fu Wan- lead in The Big Showdown

Ting Wa Chung- lead in Death Duel of the Mantis

Lee Chung Yat- lead in Death Ring

Barry Lam aka Jaguar Wong- lead in Ninja Terminator

Man Lee Pang aka Minute Fong- lead in Sixty Second Assassin

Def agree about Dan Chupong, he can do some amazing stuff, near enough everything Tony Jaa can do yet there's no buzz about him! He seems to have no fanbase!

Mark Dacascos should of been a big star.

Won Jin is amazing, his demo reel is unbelievable, why was this guy not in more movies??

Ken Lo should of capitalised on Drunken Master 2 and pursued more fighting roles

Keith Cooke was pretty amazing, check out his scene in King of the Kickboxers that Corey Yuen choreographed it's sick!

Always though Yuen Biao never gets the credit he deserves, people always talks about Jackie, Sammo, Jet and Donnie Yen but Yuen Biao is arguably better then all of them, just watch Knockabout.

Johnny Young Bosch has all the skills, looks and acting talent to be a big star but for some reason isn't.

Difficult to find 3 more.......

Kane Kosuigi would be one, given his father and his skills should be doing more

Ray Park has some real good ability but lacks acting skills

Brad Allen should of made more in front of the camera

There's my ten!

I'm sure I heard Kim Won Jin got hepatitis, this in some way relating to his lack of output... someone would need to verify this.

Collin Chou...

Hard to believe The Warchowski's wrote the role of Seraph for Jet Li. He owned it.

Has great Kung Fu, and real screen presence.

Chinatown Kid

I'll agree about Kane Kosugi, never knew this guy was such a wicked kicker to I saw him in the finale of Coweb. Where the hell has he been hiding? This guy needs some more starring roles!

Of the ones mentioned, I'd definitely agree with Ben Lam, Chang Shan, Ken Lo, and Yu Rong Guang.

I also think Chin Kar Lok should have had more leading roles.

I really love Johnny Nguyen (don't know if I spelled that right). I really want to see him go with either Donnie Yen or Tony Jaa.. He fought just briefly in TYG and really left much desire to see more.

I think Michael Jai White is vastly underrated. Granted, he gets roles, but considering he's an incredible martial artist and a well establish actor, I would really like to see him with some excellent choreography behind him.

Did Casanova Wong make as many good movies as he should have made? Granted I haven't seen everything of his but is there anything of his that comes close to touching The Master Strikes?

Morgoth Bauglir
Did Casanova Wong make as many good movies as he should have made? Granted I haven't seen everything of his but is there anything of his that comes close to touching The Master Strikes?

The movie you want to see is Avenging Boxer. I think that's his best performance. He's also really good and gets plenty of fight time in Warriors Two, Master Killers and Ninja Holocaust aka City Ninja in the 50-pack. And the movie that made him a star, Shaolin Plot. Then when you get done with those check out North Shaolin vs South Shaolin. All worth watching if you are a fan of him.

1) Daniel Bernhardt(?) ---- always seemed to be regarded as a poor man's JCVD but I've always thought he was a much better martial artist. Better actor, too. He was hot for a while and then fell off the map.

2) Kane Kosugi ------ definitely. If you've never seen Bloodheat, that's a must. Waiting on

Coweb. Somebody needs to bankroll him for at least 3 films and see what happens.

3) Jeff Wincott ----- loved him especially in Martial Outlaw.

4) Lorenzo Lamas ----- I know, I know, but he did some good stuff in Night of the Warrior and Bounty Tracker.

5) Richard Norton ----- always the villain, rarely the hero.

6) Collin Chou ------- ditto.

7) Yuen Biao ----- is seriously underrated. Of course his selection of film choices left a lot to be desired. Still.....Above the Law, Kickboxer, Knockabout, the Prodigal Son......Wow! Actually anything he did with Sammo.

8) Dan Chupong ----- he doesn't have to be Tony Jaa but somebody, please, give him more work.

9) Ernie Reyes, Jr. ------- come on!

10) Mark Dacascos ------- love this guy! Drive, Kickboxer 5, Only the Strong. I'm afraid he shot himself in the foot pursuing dramatic roles. He's a good actor but the film choices were bad.

And I'll toss in:

11) Robin Shou ---- he deserves better.

12) Jason Scott Lee ----- he can do MA stuff. He sells it really well, I think.

13) Vincent Zhao ----- again, he deserves better.

14) Jeff Speakman ------ come on! The Perfect Weapon. What happened?

15) Billy Blanks ------- he can't act his way out of a bag but he's fearsome when fighting.

16) Michael Worth ------ another guy who shot himself in the foot with dramatic roles.

17) Dustin Nguyen ----- H.T. Ioki. The Rebel showed us all what he's capable of.

18) Phillip Rhee ----- I wish he hadn't quit. I love this guy.

19) Keith Vitali ------ why didn't he do more?

20) Brian Genovese(?) ----- ditto.

Okay, I think I'm tapped.

The movie you want to see is Avenging Boxer. I think that's his best performance. He's also really good and gets plenty of fight time in Warriors Two, Master Killers and Ninja Holocaust aka City Ninja in the 50-pack. And the movie that made him a star, Shaolin Plot. Then when you get done with those check out North Shaolin vs South Shaolin. All worth watching if you are a fan of him.

Damn, how could I forget about Warriors Two? His all too brief appearance in Duel to the Death is worth noting as well. The others you mentioned are all movies I really would like to see at one point, especially Shaolin Plot, North Shaolin vs South Shaolin and Avenging Boxer. I recall seeing a clip of one of his movies that was present day (late 70's maybe ) where it looks like he is fighting in some lot or something. he was wearing denim if i'm not mistaken. I forget the name.

Also I just watched MirageMan, again, over the weekend and Marco Zaror, if used well, has a lot of potential.

He was awesome in Undisputed 3, where the fight choreographer was Larnell Stovall and director Isaac Florentine, who I feel is truly one of the best action film directors today.

Here's my list:

1) Marko Zaror (Mirageman, Undisputed 3)

2) Eric Jacobus (Contour, Dogs of Chinatown)

3) Tsui Jing-Yat (License to Steal)

4) Keith Cooke Hirabayashi (King of the Kickboxers, China O'Brien)

5) Gary Daniels (City Hunter, American Streetfighter)

6) Mark Strange (Underground)

7) Keith Vitali (Revenge of the Ninja, Wheels on Meals, Superfights, No Retreat, No Surrender 3)

8) Ian Jacklin (Kickboxer 3, Death Match)

9) Jun Chong (L.A. Street Fighters, Street Soldiers)

10) Mickey Hardt (Codename: Puma, Twins Effect, Max Havoc: Curse of the Dragon)

Look out for JIANG LU XIA (Luxia Jiang). She really showed up in Bad Blood and will give JeeJaa (Chocolate, Raging Phoenix) a run for her money as the next queen of ma films - with the proper direction of course AND sex appeal (that's how Michelle Yeoh did it) :wink:.

Read this article about her - HERE.

2009_05_10_02_Jiang_Luxia.jpg

Archived