Young Hero - Hwang Jang Lee

thedirtytiger

thedirtytiger

There is a Thai VCD of the Hwang Jang Lee film 'Young Hero' which is proper wide screen at 2.25 : 1 ratio, but the quality is not good and it is dubbed in Thai only. Does anyone have this proper wide good quality with English sub or dub ? Kwan Young Moon was well wicked in this film !!!!

I have the VHS from Trans World Entertainment, when it was part of Sho Kosugi's Ninja Theater. I kind of liked the film, interesting hero role for Jackie Chan's former classmate Yuen Mo plus Hwang Jang-Lee as the Japanese villain and Kwon Young-Moon showcasing his kicking as well.

Apparently, they shot this around the same time as Blood Child (aka Five Fingers of Steel). The credit sequences are quite similar and some of the same cast were involved as well.

flk site says they have letterbox. I don't know if it is real wide or squeezed.

I have this, It definetly available in Letterbox proper Wide.........I did my own custom project using the THAI VCD and added the eng dub....Here have a Look:

XKWOwSMIUao

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
I have this, It definetly available in Letterbox proper Wide.........I did my own custom project using the THAI VCD and added the eng dub....Here have a Look

Very nice work Akuma, looks great mate!

Very nice work Akuma, looks great mate!

Thanks Mate....Gotta say though some of those THAI VCD'S are actually quite decent quality compared with the JOY SALES VCD'S, which are aweful. Only Downside is the THAI VCD'S all come with THAI Dubs only....and they sound ridiclously FUNNY.

Here are other thai VCD's that i have done custom work on BY adding the ENG Dub too.

Fearless Duo:

pgXVAcKPEt0

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back:

QgzETJmf3gk

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Very cool! The picture quality really is surprisingly good for VCD.

These jobs are increasingly necessary to maintain the genre, lets keep trying to source prints to piece together great projects like these!

Akuma, could you please put the ethaicd link to Fearless Duo? I´ve found Young Hero, but not FD. Thanks a lot!

I don't think FD is being sold anymore at there site. It's been like that for some time now.

kungfuandcoffee

Does anybody else actually live in Thailand? Where's the best place to buy Thai VCDs in Bangkok?

Once upon a time, let's say 4 years ago, the Shaw DVDs were really cheap here. But I think that owing to commercial pressures, they've replaced them with DVDs that do not contain English subtitles.

thedirtytiger

I live in Bangkok. Akuma, please show the covers of those other nice wide prints so I know what to look for ? I probably walk past them often and just don't realize what they are due to the crappy covers. Some of the old Shaw's are still available and they are quite cheap.

Young Hero (1980) - On the cinematic bell curve for late 70s/early 80s kung fu comedies, this one is probably falls to the right of the middle. It's better than average, but not quite in that upper eschelon occupied by a few. What it has going for it is a strong pace that loses probably only about 10 minutes or so to dumb comedy, with most of the running time going to the action. It also has a solid cast, employing old favorited like Kwang Yung Moon, Tino Wong Chung, Chiang Kam, and Chan Lau, with villainy provided by Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee. HJL plays a Japanese fighter who goes around challenging Chinese kung fu schools and humiliating them. He defeats the best school in the region, run by Master Fok (KYM), who may very well be Fok Yuen Gap, or as we know him in Mandarin, Huo Yuanjia. His youngest son (played Seven Fortune Yuen Miu) is banned from learning kung fu, but learns kung fu theory from his literature tutor and adds it to his knowledge. A few skirmishes between the Foks and HJL's men soon turns deadly and the good guys will have to train hard to get revenge.

As I said, most of the comedy is left for the first 10 or 15 minutes. The rest is fighting and training. The action, choreographed by Kwang Yung Moon and Tino Wong, is pretty good. It doesn't quite stand out above Sammo or Yuen Clan fare of the same era, although the exhausting final fight between two of our heroes and HJL is quite good. HJL spends so much time kicking them around like rag dolls that you wonder just how they'll get the upper hand. When they do, at the very end, it's not particularly convincing, though. Also, some of Hwang's aerial kicks are obscured by bad editing and camerawork. But otherwise, it's a satisfying finale for a pretty decent film.

• Like 3