A Bittersweet Life (2005)

spawn

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a modern classic. The stylization is a mix between Tarantino's over the top violence and John Woo's slo-mo. This is a must see, a good representation to the cinema of Korea.

It is a great movie. I would put it in my top 5 South Korean movies (check that thread for more movie recommendations, its a great resource.)

• Administrator

One-Armed Boxer and I were just singing the praises of this classic film.

Hey MODS- can we give this thread the proper love and move it to the Korean film section please?

The Amazing Psycho Per

I like the movie... But honestly I don't get the Tarantino comparaison.... IMO, it doesn't like a Tarantino movie at all, nor the pacing, characters or dialogues... Feels more like a Melville movie to me. More so then John Woo's movies who drew a lot of inspiration from Jean-Pierre Melville. Plus, I don't recall slow-mo shoot outs à la John Woo... Yes the shoot outs are somewhat stylized in the camera work, but, nothing like John Woo's. Not they are not good, they are different and far less over the top.

Still, it's a great crime action/drama and one of the better korean movies. I just don't think it's fair to go in expecting something it's not (or at least I don't think it is)... You might come out disapointed. The only point of comparaison that works for me is that, like Woo and Tarantino's work, it's style over substance.

BTW, I'm with KFB, please move this to the Korean section...

BITTERSWEET LIFE is a classic. Lee Byung-Hun is just an impeccably attired wrecking machine in this. The harder you try and kill him, the more of your flunkies get taken out in increasingly creative ways. For unknown reasons (well, I don't know them), while this film periodically runs on US cable TV it has never come out for sale in this country. I'd repurchase this film on Blu-ray without batting an eye as long as they didn't screw the disc up.

EDIT: Oh, this is in the Japanese section? Didn't notice. Yeah, someone move this please. A place for everything and everything in its place.

Morgoth Bauglir

I was majorly disappointed with this. I thought Public Enemy was better, and I didn't like Public Enemy much at all. Move this thread to the crap section.

Morgoth Bauglir
Move Morgoth and HIS MOM to the crap section:tinysmile_angry2_t:.

mom joke, classic. Did your mom teach you that one?:tongue:

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I wasn't mad about this film either but it's a bit harsh to say it is worse than Public Enemy! :tongue:

Morgoth Bauglir

Well, it is actually a tough choice for me between which one is worse. I can’t say either one is a really horrible movie, but I found Bittersweet more boring. But that’s coming from someone who’s not a fan of newer Korean movies at all. Oldboy is the only one I “really” like, and then No Blood No Tears is a far off second. I guess I’m just partial to the older movies. I’ll take Kill the Shogun or even the Elton Chong classic Shaolin Drunk Monkey over Bittersweet any day.

I was majorly disappointed with this. I thought Public Enemy was better, and I didn't like Public Enemy much at all. Move this thread to the crap section.

I LOVE THIS PLACE :wink: !!

mom joke, classic. Did your mom teach you that one?:tongue:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS PLACE !!! YOU GUYS ( & your MOMS ! ) ARE TRUE CLASSICS !!!! :tongue::xd::wink:

OpiumKungFuCracker

This movie was a visual treat of kick-ass action scenes.... Don't know why it hasn't been release on dvd/bluray in the states yet???

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
Well, it is actually a tough choice for me between which one is worse. I can’t say either one is a really horrible movie, but I found Bittersweet more boring. But that’s coming from someone who’s not a fan of newer Korean movies at all. Oldboy is the only one I “really” like, and then No Blood No Tears is a far off second. I guess I’m just partial to the older movies. I’ll take Kill the Shogun or even the Elton Chong classic Shaolin Drunk Monkey over Bittersweet any day.

You're missing out IMO! Of course Shaolin Drunken Monkey is a classic but there are many great modern ones. I wasn't mad about No Blood No Tears myself!

Have you seen Lady Vengeance, Joint Security Area, Tae Guk Gi, Antarctic Journal, Oasis?

Morgoth Bauglir

I've seen none of those. After seeing about 20 and only seing one really good one, I gave up on newer Korean movies. But I'll check those out if I get a chance.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

It's a but of a minefield, a bit like rare kung fu. I hope you're luckier in future, if not perhaps the genre is not really for you!!

Archived